PDA

View Full Version : Do I need my oil cooler?

Jonas
10-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I was commenting to a guy that the oil cooler on my 900ss/cr looks like a shoebox hanging off the front of the engine. He suggested that I could probably just pull it off and make a oil line short circut. His logic was that his monster does not have one.
Is there a way to relocate the oil cooler, or is it really even needed up here in the cool NW for everyday non-agressive riding?

ducmons
10-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Yes you do it need it.

I have 1000DS with an oil cooler. In regular non-agressive riding, my bike easily runs 200-220. I can't imagine what it would run without any sort of oil cooler.

KyuzoDaimyo
10-17-2009, 04:22 PM
IMHO- yes you do. I'll defer to some of the qualified mechanics here, but my experience is that anything bigger than a 600 should have one. My Multistrada 620 runs a bit on the hot side on summer days without an oil cooler, but it is basically ok. My wife's monster 695 on the other hand, it ran really hot even on cool days, and on warm summer days it would overheat in minutes unless we were cruising at 60+. We put an oil cooler on it earlier this year, and it had been a totally different bike ever since, it never overheats and it always behaves perfectly.

I had a friend in Phoenix who took his cooler off his monster S2R 1000 and it was all but unridable after, but that is a bit of a special case given the average air temps there.

Dr. Duc
10-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Several people on the ducati.ms site will argue, no, you don't. The high temperature for the engine is 334 degrees F. Remember, we're talking oil temp, not water temp. The highest temp I've seen on my highly modified Paul Smart in 100 degree plus weather while stuck in rush hour traffic for over an hour was 299 degrees F. It had an oil cooler, but no air was moving through it, so it couldn't have been doing very much. There's a guy in Arizona who took his off his GS 1000 because he believes that the oil needs to get to at least 200 degrees F before it can adequately lube parts and he was having a hard time getting to that temp with the oil cooler in place. Today, there was a NASCAR show that talked about why they have generators hooked up to the cars when they are sitting on the grid before the race. They use the generator to heat the oil, gearbox, and rearend to around 205 degrees F so that they don't fry parts when they are trying to get up to speed.

Quack
10-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Block the air to the cooler off. Take it for a ride and put a thermometer down the oil fill hole right after shutting it off. Then do the same with the cooler unblocked. See what the temp difference is. Do it one right after the other to keep ambient temperature the same and run the same route. If the CR has an oil temp gauge then obviously just read the gauge.
I was commenting to a guy that the oil cooler on my 900ss/cr looks like a shoebox hanging off the front of the engine. He suggested that I could probably just pull it off and make a oil line short circut. His logic was that his monster does not have one.
Is there a way to relocate the oil cooler, or is it really even needed up here in the cool NW for everyday non-agressive riding?

Dave R
10-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Or you could leave the oil cooler in place and just relocate it to the top of the valve cover instead off the bottom.. hides it then. We just did this job for a customer..came out very clean looking. A little less than $200 in new parts and about 1.5 hour to do the job.

Quack
10-17-2009, 05:30 PM
I had a friend do that and it looked really good...or rather, it looked like the cooler wasn`t there anymore:) I think Dave's idea is the better solution:thumbup:
Or you could leave the oil cooler in place and just relocate it to the top of the valve cover instead off the bottom.. hides it then. We just did this job for a customer..came out very clean looking. A little less than $200 in new parts and about 1.5 hour to do the job.

Nathan
10-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Mine got covered completely with mud in Alaska and the bike started to over heat in no time. Stoped at a river and doused it with water until it was clean and it went back to normal. (Our motors aren't that different) It was probably only about 45 to 50 degrees out! I would roll with Dave's idea.