PDA

View Full Version : Any Reason To Use Windscreen on Monster?

Vertigo
11-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Hey guys,

My S2R came with a little fairing and I noticed that the way it directs wind created a lot of buffeting noise in my Corsair V. I'm guessing it's because the way it directs the flow hits me right about in the top portion of the shield.

I removed it and like the quiet ride more as well as the esthetics of the bike.

Is there any reason I should use a windscreen at all? I mean I heard people talking about gas mileage etc.

I'm basically revisitng the idea of getting a Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen for my cross country trip.

Thanks!

Jeremy
11-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Lots of people run without them...and many models came without them. Don't worry about it.

Marv
11-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey guys,

My S2R came with a little fairing and I noticed that the way it directs wind created a lot of buffeting noise in my Corsair V.

I removed it and like the quiet ride more as well as the esthetics of the bike.

Is there any reason I should use a windscreen at all? I mean I heard people talking about gas mileage etc.

Thanks!

Come-on, nobody buys a motorcycle for the gas mileage!

Vertigo
11-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm only curious about the ZG Sport Touring Windscreen because of the cross country trip I'm going to be doing.

Otherwise I like riding my bike way more without the little dork shield up front.

gregc
11-23-2009, 03:15 PM
I put on a zero gravity sport touring winscreen on my monster when I was tracking it to allow me to get less wind buffetting at speed. As for street riding: around town-no difference, Highway speeds in normal riding position it caused the wind to hit me right at the base of the helmet-neck area, however it still proves extremely helpful when I choose to tuck in behind it. Chest on the tank, adjust mirrors and very comfortable cruise. It also helps in the wet to keep my windscreen on helmet dry and improve my visibility. As a side note, it also seemed to help deflect flying fur, snot and associated organic matter when one encounters a woodland creature. :happy57:

Vertigo
11-23-2009, 03:49 PM
I put on a zero gravity sport touring winscreen on my monster when I was tracking it to allow me to get less wind buffetting at speed. As for street riding: around town-no difference, Highway speeds in normal riding position it caused the wind to hit me right at the base of the helmet-neck area, however it still proves extremely helpful when I choose to tuck in behind it. Chest on the tank, adjust mirrors and very comfortable cruise. It also helps in the wet to keep my windscreen on helmet dry and improve my visibility. As a side note, it also seemed to help deflect flying fur, snot and associated organic matter when one encounters a woodland creature. :happy57:

Cool! That's good to know. Maybe I will just put mine back on for the trip and try to adjust it so it flows more up and over my head - although I don't think that's possible.

I only like looking at woodland creatures from a rifle scope.

JetBrett
11-23-2009, 03:57 PM
I ran into a minor problem on mine due to the lack of a windscreen. My situation may be unique, but last winter a tiny amount of water found its way into one of the sensors in my instrument cluster. I'd get a yellow check engine light that would come on and go off intermittently. Dave at EMS sorted it out pretty easily with some compressed air.

gregc
11-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Cool! That's good to know. Maybe I will just put mine back on for the trip and try to adjust it so it flows more up and over my head - although I don't think that's possible.

I only like looking at woodland creatures from a rifle scope.

A short piece of 1" foam pipe wrap jammed between instrument cluster and fairing/windscreen will tip the shield up.

Sieg
11-23-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm only curious about the ZG Sport Touring Windscreen because of the cross country trip I'm going to be doing.

Otherwise I like riding my bike way more without the little dork shield up front.
I have a tinted ZG Touring screen off my old S2R 1K if you're interested.
I prefered it over stock. How the wind impacts you depends on torso height.

Vertigo
11-23-2009, 09:16 PM
I have a tinted ZG Touring screen off my old S2R 1K if you're interested.
I prefered it over stock. How the wind impacts you depends on torso height.

Totally interested! What color is it? ...cause I have a Tangerine bike. So pretty much only black would work.

Heathbert
11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I've got a nearly clear/slightly tinted Dart flyscreen that I used to/from Miller. That is quite easy to put on/take off, you are more than welcome to try it, if you want.

It worked well at catching the absurd amount of bugs I managed to find. I found it eliminated the massive impact of air on my chest at 75+ mph.

Sieg
11-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Totally interested! What color is it? ...cause I have a Tangerine bike. So pretty much only black would work.
It's this color:
http://sieg.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Aufderheide-Memorial-Drive/IMGP2702/182637839_P8hc9-XL.jpg

Vertigo
11-24-2009, 12:50 AM
That is probably one of the seksy-est Monster's I've ever seen.

It can't see how it would hurt having it on a long distance trip if it actually pushes air over my head.