PDA

View Full Version : Storing Ducati's with plastic tanks

Dave R
12-15-2009, 05:46 PM
http://mystarbrite.com/startron

We just received our first batch of this fuel treatment. We received a tip from a marine industry insider who claims they have had similar issue with plastic tanks on boats and this seem to help prevent it. We have it in stock $8.79 a bottle

* Disclaimer....we have no idea if it really works but reading the info it makes sense..

TCS
12-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Cool Dave. I clicked through the website...does sound interesting but I missed the connection between the product and its benefit to plastic tanks.

Lotus54
12-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I have read that it is best to run a stabilizer made for fuel with ethanol.

But of course much of this comes from places selling it...

I did buy some to use, just for some of my stuff that sits for a month or two in the winter. This modern fuel goes very quickly comparatively.

Mark

wwahl
12-15-2009, 09:14 PM
The motorcycles should be designed to hold the fuel we use. Anything else is not acceptable.

Lotus54
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
But fuel has changed and keeps changing.

A moving target for a manufacturer.

Jeremy
12-15-2009, 09:29 PM
So is this brand of fuel stabilizer any different from all the other stuff out there?

I'll probably be picking some up anyway, as I'm about out...anything to protect my plastic tank MTS from expanding. :thumbup: Wonder what the chemical reaction is between the stabilizer and ethanol that helps protect plastic tanks?

Jeremy
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
But fuel has changed and keeps changing.

A moving target for a manufacturer.

That's the problem. I don't believe they use ethanol in Europe, so this problem seems to have caught Acerbis (Ducati plastic tank Manuf.) by surprise.

Maybe part of the reason the new tanks are HDPE with bolt on panels??

Lotus54
12-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Sta-Bil also makes a 'ethanol' fuel stabilizer.
I think the stuff Dave is selling is a little less cash.
Plus may as well let them make a buck rather than some chain store...

(of course, it is pretty easy to spend money when you walk in there!)

I have no idea if it helps with the plastic tanks- but I think it may help the fuel from going off quite as quickly.