PDA

View Full Version : new Evoluzione Desmodue engine

martys
01-31-2010, 08:53 AM
While reading a review (http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2010-ducati-hypermotard-1100-evo-review-89155.html) on the new Hyper Evo, they described the Evo's 2 valve, 1078 air cooled motor as totally new. More horsepower, higher compression cyclinders, Siemens components replacing Marelli, exhaust including 2 Lambda sensors and a completely new head design including a single spark plug combustion chamber! This marks the end of the Dual Spark air cooled engine.

The new Evo sounds like Bologna is building in from the factory many of the mods we've been doing to the older DS motors for years. This has to be a good thing! :thumbup:

This has to beg the question, will the new 796 and 1100 Evo be the only air cooled motors replacing those in the Monsters and whatever bike replaces the Sport Classic line, if it gets replaced? I can't wait to see what else Borgo Panigale has in the works for the coming year. :riding:

superleggera
01-31-2010, 01:02 PM
my guess is all the DS engines (and 4V's) are dead that have the Marelli ECU. There is only a few years left remaining on their emissions certification of compliance. I doubt they will be re-certified. (and thus the new engine design and ECU changes)

Curious thing most people haven't noticed on the new Multistrada -- it has a Mitsubishi ECU.

Dave R
01-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Curious thing most people haven't noticed on the new Multistrada -- it has a Mitsubishi ECU.
and Mikuni throttle bodies