PDA

View Full Version : Moto GP Jerez --- Spoiler

rvinoly
04-10-2005, 01:32 PM
From the BBC's recap of the race:

Rossi gained then lost the lead, and on the next to last corner the duo's bikes almost touched, forcing home-favourite Gibernau off into the gravel.

ALMOST ?!?!?!?!?! What race were they watching ?..... :confused:

Bong
04-10-2005, 03:46 PM
That was quite a show of riding skills by both Sete and Rossi! Whan an awesome race, can't wait for the next one.

Torben
04-10-2005, 04:46 PM
What a great race! :happy44: it's too bad that Hayden crashed out but he's running with the big boys now and running 3rd with 2nd place contention was an outstanding showing.
As far as the touch goes - I've watched it over and over and I really can't fault Rossi. His foot went out so he was a bit out of control but Sete was trying to pass on the outside and as they say, stuff happens. I'm sure he's not happy given their history but that's racing :)
Can't wait to see it in person at Mugello :happy57:

rvinoly
04-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Mugello ? You lucky bastard !.... :happy44:
It was good to see Hayden keeping up with the big boys. Melandri as well, especially after last year.
I'm a huge Rossi fan, but that move looked way too optimistic. Sete was ahead of Vale going into his turn, and there seemed to be a pretty good "bump" in there....so much for starting a new year ! Looks like this rivalry is picking up just where it left off last year. Wonder what Gibernau will do next time... :evilgrin3

BTW, what's up with the Ducati Corse boys ?..... :confused:

Jim is Cool
04-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Rossi was out of line, literally.

Look at the overhead angle. Sete had the line, he had him beat, Rossi went in WAY too hot to ever make that turn and put his foot down knowing something bad was going to happen. It was an act of a desperate man, Sete had him beat.

This isn't the first time Rossi has pulled that move, I love Rossi, but I'm starting to see something in him in the last couple of seasons that could change my mind soon.

My hats off to Sete for keeping the bike upright and getting back on the track!

Nicky's crash looked like it was his fault, guessing here, but it kinda looked like he grabbed a bit too much brake as he tipped it in.

foggy123
04-11-2005, 09:00 AM
http://www.fuglybikes.com/files/rossisetesm1.gif

From this angle it looks like Rossi had the lead and the inside and was bumped first. It's racing.

Jim is Cool
04-11-2005, 09:05 AM

From this angle it looks like Rossi had the lead and the inside and was bumped first. It's racing.

There's a better angle from a helicopter, straight down. I stand by my comments.

If you look at the clip from the straight, Sete had him. And there's no way Rossi needed to push that wide anyway, other rookies yes, but not Rossi.

kamran
04-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Last year, in the last race of the season in Spain Sete pulled a stunt to push Biagi out in a turn, causing both of them go wide. Rossi took advantage of that move and pulled through to take the lead. Sete, in the second race to the last (Phillip Island), tried to come on the inside of Rossi into a turn and made contact with Rossi from behind. Sete likes to be the center of attention by being in the front pushing his engine and wearing his tires. Rossi just toys with Sete, because he knows he can take him anytime he chooses. So he typically sit on Sete's wheel, making him to push harder and wear himself out. Then Rossi stricks when it counts... i.e. before crossing the finish line. Rossi consistently does that, that's Rossi's style. And that my friend is called confidence.

If you think touching is unethical in MotoGP, just watch a bicycle race at the finish... better yet, go to Seward park on Thursday nights and watch the bicycle demolition derby criterium, and see how riders bump shoulders, elbow, and sometimes push each other going 40 mph into a sprint on 1/2 inch of rubber!!!

Jim is Cool
04-11-2005, 09:54 AM
There's touching, hell, we "touch" in club level too. But that was a bit excessive. This isn't the British Touring Car Championships. Seems that when Biaggi used his elbow on Rossi, he got a lot of crap, but this is okay?

Biaggi was wrong, and now Rossi is.

Don't get me wrong, Sete should've taken a deffensive line to begin with, but I can't excuse Rossi on this one, if it was the last race of the season, and the championship was on the line sure, I could see the reason. Rossi is Rossi, he's probably the best we've ever seen, why would he need to do that to win a couple of extra points on race one.

That being said, he's now in Sete's head more than ever, it's going to be tough for Sete to get him out now, we'll have to see what happens.

BTW, I bet the Barcellona race is going to be interesting, I wonder if Rossi will have to be flown into the track for protection?

Apostate
04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
And there's no way Rossi needed to push that wide anyway...
It's possible there was nothing, at that point, that Rossi could do about going wide. I think Sete's shoulder was hung up on Rossi's right clip on. That would've caused Rossi to run wide.

Jim is Cool
04-11-2005, 11:42 AM
It's possible there was nothing, at that point, that Rossi could do about going wide. I think Sete's shoulder was hung up on Rossi's right clip on. That would've caused Rossi to run wide.

I've been watching the footage from motogp.com, they have WAY more footage than what was broadcast here in the states.

They even show the handlebar on Rossi's right hand side, it wasn't hung up. Rossi put his foot down, he was out of control. Before they tipped in, Sete had him and had the line, by going in WAY too hot, Rossi took the line away.

So yeah, your probably right, he had to go wide because he dive bombed in, knowing he was going to have to push Sete wide. If you looked at the previous 2 laps, he kept outbreaking himself and Sete went through, I think Sete might have been expecting that to happen again, just not so blatant.

Ghetto move.

Torben
04-11-2005, 12:39 PM
I'd say that Rossi was running a bit on the other side of control most of the day. Look at how many times he ran wide previous to that incident. Granted the final incident had more at stake, but he was definitely not in control of his actions. I don't know that I'd call it intentional but certainly not a premier exhibition of riding (IMHO)

Jim is Cool
04-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Higher level;

Dorna is inconsistant as a rule, I doubt that anyone would disagree with me on that.

Last year, a Japanese rider was DQ'd for bumping and Nicky got 3rd. Also, Hopper got suspended as well if I remember right.

But Checa bumped someone and nothing happened, not to mention the Biaggi/Rossi "bump heard round the world".

So, if you want to succed with Dorna, you either need to be Spanish, or Rossi. If you are either, Dorna will look the other way.

In this instance, both riders fit the above rule.

kamran
04-11-2005, 02:06 PM
You know, it takes a totally different character to be on the top like these guys. You cannot judge them by "our" standards. They "have" to be cocky and arrogant when it comes to competition to be able to perform Psychologically at this level.

Their whole existence/success is based on that. And it's not about being a gentleman and wait to win the next race. It's about psychologically dominating the field. You have to prove your domination mentally time after time, and cannot allow your competitor to think even for a minute that they can beat you. More than 50% of the competition preparation and success is mental. You even have to be able to envision yourself on the podium as the winner, and that's the image you have to carry in your mind during the race. These people cannot allow anything interfere with that image, in order to consistently perform.

You'll find most winners that are on top of it possess what's called an animal instinct! I wish I had more of that myself... just like the old saying, nice guys finish last! It's not always about who's the strongest, but who's got the strongest will power. At the final lap these people see nothing but blood. Formula 1 has it's guy, MotoGP has it's guy, Tour De france has it's guy, etc, etc... all competitive sports are dominated by someone who mentally is the strongest and more aggressive than others. And when that animal instinct kicks in,... watch out!

Jim is Cool
04-11-2005, 02:10 PM
So you agree that Rossi pulled a Ghetto move then right? ;-)

foggy123
04-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Ghetto move or not, he won the race!! that's what he is paid to do.

The only person who should/could be complaining is Sete ! there wasn't a protest so I'm guessing he's ok with it even if he doesn't like it.

Jim is Cool
04-11-2005, 02:24 PM
The week ain't done yet!

He won, but mark my words, this is going to be a dirty dirty season.

Jim is Cool
04-11-2005, 02:28 PM
And the Honda PR machine starts it's engines!

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=22450

Torben
04-11-2005, 02:47 PM
:sign23:
Seems there's more ego-tripping in GP than any other circuits - one reason I can't stand Mladin in AMA. Every race is shortly followed by a press release either saying why he won, or giving excuses why he lost :sign01:
That and he's an egotistical (not safe for kids so I won't say)

desmopapa

That clip starts a little late. Look at the wide black band of tire marks before the apex. Looks to me like Sete had the line and Rossi would have probably hit the outside corner of the exit if he hadn't bumped into Sete. Yeah, " It's racing " and Rossi is a spectacular racer, but this time I think his ego took over his good sense. Nice Arena Cross move though.

-dj
Well, as for Rossi taking his foot off the peg, that's normal for him, and he did the same nearly every lap into the same turn leading up to this.

Personally, I think that they were both asking a lot. Rossi made a mistake just before, and so did Sete. They were both pumped on adrenaline I'm sure and when it came to the last corner, they both really wanted it bad. Rossi came in hot, Sete tried to gun it up and close him out, but wasn't far enough ahead.

If you look at the motogp.com footage of Rossi's right hand, you can see him laying on the brake as Sete bumps into him, and Rossi loses the brake for a second, which could cause the going wide.

Either way, it's racing and throw in the fact that both of these guys really, i mean really, don't like each other and there ya go. I think that the rivalry between these two is what was to Rossi/Biaggi rivalry never got to be. Hell, this race I think pretty much summed up what the the whole season will be like in one race.

One think I didn't like. Sete seemed to be babying that shoulder a bit much. I mean, come on. I've broken my collarbone getting hit by a 200lb defenseman and I sure didn't act like that.... The guys got so much talent, he shouldn't let this lame-ass high school drama rule his life.

9Mile
04-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Anti inflamatory and analgesic?

So...his shoulder was so damaged that they put him on tylenol?

AAAAAAA hahahahahaha :happy44:

That's just too funny. Hell if you're gonna complain, then complain, hell, jump up and scream and protest, call Rossi a "hijo de puta" as the spanish fans did, but don't whine about your bruised shoulder! Capirossi climbed on that animal they call the desmosedici with an ankle broken not 24 hrs old....

You can't take the high road and then whine....

kamran
04-11-2005, 03:03 PM
That's called shooting a hole. If you leave the door open, don't be surprised if someone sneaks in! :evilgrin3

But Sete's pushing Biaggi out on the corner and bumping Rossi from behind last year, were not shooting the hole. They were down right stupid moves and in one case cost Sete dearly!

flyingducman
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
A finish like this is exactly what the MotoGP circuit needed to up attendance and viewer numbers (Speed TV must be loving it) for the rest of this season. Picking-up, and improving upon their already wonderful, and loving relationship from where they left-off last year is going to make for an extremely interesting season. I hope they both stay healthy and can race through the whole schedule. What a great sport (NASCAR what?), and what a great rivalry.

I'll be tuning-in for each race not only to root for Ducati, but to see what happens between Rossi and Gibernau. It's going to be a lot like a soap opera!

I've never been a Monday-Morning Quarter-Back. Rossi pretty much summed-up whole affair up with his comment at the end of the end-of-race interview "...but you know, this is the races." Too bad, so sad!

Survey on MotoGP's website, lower left-hand side of home page:

http://motogp.tiscali.com/en/motogp/index.htm

"Was Rossi's win at Jerez fair?"

Vote and then you'll see the results of what the majority are saying.

2Quick
04-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Either way, it's racing and throw in the fact that both of these guys really, i mean really, don't like each other and there ya go. I think that the rivalry between these two is what was to Rossi/Biaggi rivalry never got to be. Hell, this race I think pretty much summed up what the the whole season will be like in one race.

I think the big difference between Sete and Max is Sete is capable of beating VR and VR knows it. Biaggi (and everyone else) always knew that VR would go by him.

...Too bad for Nicky, he had 3rd locked up and had the best seat to watch the masters at work, and if they had taken each other out, he could have won. Looks like the same problem as last year, when he's running good, he loses some concentration and end up in the gravel. Maybe whoever runs around in 3rd the most will end up winning the championship as Sete and VR knock each other out of a few races...

-dj
04-12-2005, 05:06 AM
I think the big difference between Sete and Max is Sete is capable of beating VR and VR knows it. Biaggi (and everyone else) always knew that VR would go by him.

Exactly! That's what's making this season so exciting. :happy44:

green98gt
04-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Check out the pic of Max this guy photoshopped over speeds bike forums.
roglmao. http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=74051&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15