PDA

View Full Version : f1098s vs 1198s???

diolopez
03-18-2010, 04:52 PM
I am having a real hard time trying to beside which bike to get. The streetfighter is an awesome looking machine. It handles nice its better for commuting because of the seat angle. The 1198s i didn't get to test ride or didnt even think about it. but i have always wanted one and then it comes with all the extra perks. Which ever one i get, i will be using it for the track and most of all commuting to work? Any one use a 1198s(or streetfighter) for communting to work? How many miles a day? Did you chance clip-ons or rearsets? Back hurt, wrist hurt and so on... Thanks.

Bong
03-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Well I just made the decision to sell the SF and keep the 1098S because the superbike is better suited for track use. The SF is very comfortable but lacks peg ground clearance at track speeds, it would take quite a bit of work to get the foot/exhaust clearance issue squared away.

Otherwise it's a great street/commuter bike with power to spare and very comfortable at any speed. My SF would have been perfect for you since I already installed the DP slipper clutch and Termi pipes.

Good luck with the decision!

kurtfriedrich
03-18-2010, 05:09 PM
and I just trades a 1098R for a Monster 1100S because I do 4 track days a year = 400 miles, and 4000 street miles. So you know how I vote on the subject. But then I am ~62, maybe if I was 25 the street miles would not have been so bad on the 1098?

Sieg
03-18-2010, 05:23 PM
A fairing is your friend at most tracks and commuting, the wind buffeting of a naked bike becomes annoying on longer rides and beats the crap out of you above 120..........IMO. For example: East Course at Miller no problem, Full Course big problem. Oregon Raceway Park, no problem, Portland International, big problem. Then there's aerodynamic drag.

1098 with taller bars for the street might and a race wind screen (taller) be a good compromise. Too much pressure on the wrists gets down right uncomfortable.

diolopez
03-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Again all this is BONG's fault because he put his F1098 on sell(i wish i had got that bike). I do 22 miles on the freeway and 5 miles on 320th getting to the freeway. So must of the miles are highway. I don't really get blown around on the 998. Is it worse on the F1098? Around the city i didn't notice it when i test drove it. The thing i notice is i sit up a lot and only have one hand on the throttle. It's win, win either way but i figure i would ask you more Experienced riders since i am only 26. One more thing what about lighting. i work at night from 6PM - 3AM. So lights play an important factor.

kurtfriedrich
Re: f1098s vs 1198s???
and I just trades a 1098R for a Monster 1100S because I do 4 track days a year = 400 miles, and 4000 street miles. So you know how I vote on the subject. But then I am ~62, maybe if I was 25 the street miles would not have been so bad on the 1098?

Jeremy
03-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I tried to commute on my 848 and didn't like it. Heli bars made the seating position better (much better actually), but still not good for traffic, and the bike threw a lot of heat on me in slow traffic and at lights.

Personally I'd go Streetfighter.

Bong
03-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Again all this is BONG's fault because he put his F1098 on sell(i wish i had got that bike). I do 22 miles on the freeway and 5 miles on 320th getting to the freeway. So must of the miles are highway. I don't really get blown around on the 998. Is it worse on the F1098? Around the city i didn't notice it when i test drove it. The thing i notice is i sit up a lot and only have one hand on the throttle. It's win, win either way but i figure i would ask you more Experienced riders since i am only 26. One more thing what about lighting. i work at night from 6PM - 3AM. So lights play an important factor.

In that case I really recommend the SF. You'll be way more comfortable and most importantly the ability to check your blind spot for lane changes is much better. The few times you take her on the track just adjust your riding style.

Commuting on the 1098/1198 is not very safe due to the limited vision with the seating position. Lighting is also better on the SF...although still not as good as more touring oriented bikes.

Go up and get a SF from DaveR pronto!!!

Ps. I hope to be at fault on MANY more ducs going to new homes :riding:

diolopez
03-18-2010, 07:02 PM
I am waiting on the damn insurance to call me for my quote. As soon as i figure out how much insurance is i will buy it from him. I have a black f1098S one on hold.

Dave R
03-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Ps. I hope to be at fault on MANY more ducs going to new homes :riding:

Us too! Looks like Dio is getting the kind of feedback he was hoping for, thanks everyone..

Bong
03-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I am waiting on the damn insurance to call me for my quote. As soon as i figure out how much insurance is i will buy it from him. I have a black f1098S one on hold.

:wohoo:

Congratulations!!!!!!

If you're insurance quote is high give my State Farm agent a call for comparison ---> Bobbi @ Melinda Elkin agency 206 784-6560

martys
03-18-2010, 07:13 PM
congrats :happy44::thumbup:

Wyckedan
03-18-2010, 07:15 PM
:wohoo:

Congratulations!!!!!!

If you're insurance quote is high give my State Farm agent a call for comparison ---> Bobbi @ Melinda Elkin agency 206 784-6560

She's mine as well +1

Jeremy
03-18-2010, 08:03 PM
GMAC Rider insurance has always given me good rates as well. :thumbup:

Post some pics when you get it! :happy44:

kurtfriedrich
03-18-2010, 10:00 PM
My insurance on the 2009 monster 1100S was a few bucks more than I was paying on the 2008 1098R (state farm)?? I don't think they ever quite grokked that it was not a 1098.

Mitch
03-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Hmmmm ... tough call

Heart says 1198S. Head says Street fighter.

The mirrors, lights, riding position and tendency to run hot, make the 1198S a poor daily ride. But you've been riding a 998, so if anything most people find the 1198S more comfortable. So, it might be slightly better than what you're used to. 1198S would be more fun on the track (especially with at straightaway like Miller or Spokane)

Street fighter would have a much more comfortable every day riding position and be more practical overall. But not as much fun at the track and you will get blown around more. (but that's not usually an issue unless you're riding a couple of hours or longer at freeway speeds or greater)

Either way, get the best lights you can!

Maybe you need this set up :happy44: -

http://www.duccutters.com/GaryEagan-Cannonball1098.tpl

I wonder what percentage of bikes purchased around this site can be blamed Bong? :happy57: