PDA

View Full Version : Belgian Hyper

FilipHantson
04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Hello NW Ducatisti!
Just a litte introduction. I'm a Belgian 43er living in Lyon (France) and since the purchase of my Hypermotard S in 2008 I feel awfully sad: why did I wait so long before riding a real bike!?! Before I bought this "fun factory" I had mainly Honda's (CR500, XR600, NX650, XL1000V). Nevertheless, I will get back what I lost!
I use the hyper nearly every day (not during mean winter) for home-work. Every now and then I use it on race tracks. I'm quite a novice in this race area, but it is amazing, safe and fun!
Once a year I do a one shot Lyon-Knokke (Belgium), i.e. 550 miles: in this case, the small fuel capacity of the hyper is more a gift, rather than a problem! However, at the end of the trip I did not have a broken back or bottom! Fun fun fun!

Next: why did I become a member of your famous NW cummunity? Well, this summer we will move to Seattle! I'm already looking forward to meet you, Ducati fans, soon!

I add two pics of my party animal:

Greetz from France!

velox
04-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Welcome and nice bike! Get ready for some cold/wet days... :happy57:
Oh wait, but today is sunny! Yes we do get some sun...

molamphy
04-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I think you'll enjoy living in Seattle so welcome in advance.:happy57:
When you get here, I'll have the wife get in touch. She's from the Ardennes and knows a few of the French people around here. There's a really good French cafe down in Steilacoom that will make you feel at home. Bertrand is an excellent chef and the waiter from Corsica is a pretty interesting character. They do monthly French gatherings and people from Seattle come down.

Jeremy
04-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the club, and good luck with the upcoming move!

FilipHantson
04-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I think you'll enjoy living in Seattle so welcome in advance.:happy57:
When you get here, I'll have the wife get in touch. She's from the Ardennes and knows a few of the French people around here. There's a really good French cafe down in Steilacoom that will make you feel at home. Bertrand is an excellent chef and the waiter from Corsica is a pretty interesting character. They do monthly French gatherings and people from Seattle come down.

Excellent! Thanks!

JetBrett
04-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Welcome to the party Hyperfly. :happy57: I think you'll find this is a really good group. You'll have to come out to our Thursday get togethers when you get in. My wife and I are planning a riding trip through France and Italy in 2012. I hope you don't mind me hitting you up with tons of questions.

gregc
04-05-2010, 11:34 AM
and you've already got it on the track! Looking forward to meeting up and have a save journey. greg

Sieg
04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
My Party Animal
You'll fit in nicely around here!

Welcome to DNW. :thumbup:

Rich Quarre
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Welcome to DNW! Great looking bike. :thumbup: Best of luck with the move, and I look forward to meeting you.

rb_duc
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Hyperfly - welcome to the club!

One question - did you intend to import your bike to the US or get one here? Importing is a true pain and nearly impossible to get it registered here.

sport1000
04-05-2010, 09:25 PM

One question - did you intend to import your bike to the US or get one here? Importing is a true pain and nearly impossible to get it registered here.

Buzz kill!
Welcome to the club hope to see you and your Hyper on a ride this summer!

FilipHantson
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Indeed, I planned to do so, but apparently it's not an easy one...?

Red Label Moto
04-05-2010, 09:46 PM

Its not an easy one, no. Importing your bike to this country that is. What is easy is buying a minty used example here in the states of the bike you have now in Europe. In all likelihood you will come out money ahead or at least break even if you sell your bike before you leave and buy one here. And even if you break even that is actually money ahead since you did not have to spend any $$$ importing a bike to this fine land with its draconian vehicle import laws.

Oh, welcome to Seattle where its easy to be hyper :)

Heathbert
04-05-2010, 09:49 PM

Welcome to the club.

Here's the U.S. EPA guide to importing motorized vehicles:
http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/factmtop.htm

Section B of the guide has some detailed facts:
http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/factmnb.htm

Here's a website with some helpful information about importing a vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle) into the U.S.
http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm