PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a suit

yo_eddy
04-18-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm going to do a few track days this year, and I'm contemplating getting a leather one piece. I currently have a Roadcrafter with pads and back protector that I use for commuting. Is this good enough or are the leathers the way to go? If leathers are it, then what are some features I should look for in a suit? Any price points to hit to make sure you get quality and adequate protection? How about fit, should it fit like a second skin, or can you get enough room to add a layer or two?

thanks,

Rob

lll0228
04-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Rob,

Here's just my 2 cents, I think the racers will have more to say about this...

Leather IS the way to go. Testings all over the world has shown that hardly any man-made materials currently available as suit exhibit the same abrasion resistants as leather. I think that if that material exists all the racers would have been wearing it.

Features, I think it's probably the usual. Heavy stitching at stress points. Proper armors at all the important places...I don't think I wrote something you don't already know, though. :)

Price point...depending on where you buy it from. Online you can find decent brand names for under $500 if you look hard enough. If, however, you would like to support our great local dealers, both Duc Sea and Eastside have a great assortment of suits. Go talk to them and check them out! If you join DNW as a paid member you get a nice discount at both places, too.

As for the fit question I will leave it to the expert racers... Mine will fit clothes underneath but I use it for commuting as well...

flyingducman
04-18-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm going to do a few track days this year, and I'm contemplating getting a leather one piece. Rob

If you're only going to do a FEW track days, maybe you should also look at a zip-together two-piece.

I recently bought my second Alpinestars V4 (2004 model discontinued) leather jacket, w/armor and back-protector sleeve, for about $255.00 at Eastside Moto Sports. The remaining inventory, and they had quite a few, was all discounted $100 off MSRP (about $355'ish).

This jacket, as most Alpinestars, will zip to either the "Bat" pant (a leather sport-pant one notch below track-gear...no knee puck), or the "Track" pant. The Track pant is by name, track-ready and about $300.00. As mentioned by another member, your paid membership here at Desmo Northwest may get you a discount (don't know about discontinued stuff???), but should on either pant.

With the two piece you'll have an outfit that will work for both everyday use, and the track as well.

Best wishes in making your decision, and we'll see you at the track (don't forget that NESBA www.nesba.com has the FREE introductory program available, unless of course, you're past that).

Greg

osofast
04-19-2005, 09:27 AM
Leather on leather for the best abrasion protection. Prices for 1 piece range from $500-$2500. Depends on what your looking for. Personally, I think Dainese is the best out there, but they are a bit pricey. Another brand thats new to the US market that has been gaining in popularity is Moto GPs line of motorcycle gear. They offer an all Kangaroo skined suits for around $800 which is a great deal. Kangaroo skin is lighter and has been proven to offer more abrasion protection than cow hide. From what I hear, most of the GP racers are sporting these Kango suits.

CINDESMO
04-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Rob,

The best thing to do is to try on a couple of different brands and styles. If the suit doesn't fit you and you go down there is a chance that the armor will not be able to do it's job. I personally wouldn't wear a suit that didn't have CE approved plastic armor - same for the back protector. I don't see how foam is going to work as well. If you already have gear for the street, it may make more sense to buy a suit that you will only use on the track. Why compromise if you don't have to. Dainese fits me well so that's what I wear. I was very impressed with how mine held up after crashing.

I don't want to lecture anyone here, but does it make sense to spend thousands of dollars on your bike which can easily be replaced and then only a few hundred to protect your body? Look for good deals but buy good quality gear!

Rotten Randy
04-19-2005, 11:20 AM
I have a two piece Dainese suit and after doing my first track day yesterday my pelvic bones are really sore right now. In the riding position there's alot of pressure on the front of the pants that pressed into those bones all day long. The pants were new though so maybe after I heal up and wear them again it won't be so bad.

darkduc
04-19-2005, 01:31 PM
I have a two piece Dainese suit and after doing my first track day yesterday my pelvic bones are really sore right now. In the riding position there's alot of pressure on the front of the pants that pressed in to those bones all day long. The pants were new though so maybe after I heal up and wear them again it won't be so bad.

The best advice I could give you is to take a nice long ride in the rain with your leathers on. They will break in beautifully. It's just like breaking in a new pair of leather boots, wear them in the shower and they'll fit like a glove and no more blisters. Seriously, a few days after buying my Vanson (which are stiff as hell brand new) I got caught in a down-pour 45 minutes from home on SR9. When everything dried, the leather was much more supple and I could actually bend my elbows! :p

Apostate
04-19-2005, 03:14 PM
I know my college room mate used the same break-in procedure on his Army boots. Fine for a pair of gov't issue boots, but I don't know that I'd do it on purpose to a $500+ riding suit. Water will dry out the leather, just like it does our skin, yes? I'm no expert, but shouldn't there be some sort of leather conditioner/moisturizer that would be meant specifically to help break-in a suit?

Rotten Randy
04-19-2005, 03:17 PM
I wasn't too keen on riding to the track in the rain yesterday morning w/ all my new shtuff on. :rolleyes:

sonny riggs
04-19-2005, 06:08 PM
A one piece suit is the best thing for the track, and that is just what they where designed for. I would try to get a nice tight fit and not worry about layering(safety first). One piece suits are not so great for touring or commuting. They are really pre-cut to fit very tight in a riding position, and are not nessiceraly comfortable to hang out in. All of our suits are on there way and will hopefully be here beginning next month. While they are not as cheap as some they are of the highest quality, and as we all know, sometimes you just get what you pay for. The Tank Suit by Dainese runs just about $1059.99. I'm not sure what size you are but we do have a two piece M4 Suit on close out for only $599.99.

UKDuc
04-19-2005, 06:26 PM
My Dainese Scudetto suit fits tight in the arms, legs, shoulders etc, but seems to have space in the middle. Have heard that other people have experienced the same with theirs, but that just may be the type of suit. As Sonny says though, it would not be fun for riding around on the street - cuts tight into your lunchbox if you try standing up straight - not flattering if you want to stop in to Starbucks for a quick coffee, and not much good if you want to quickly relieve yourself after that coffee.....