PDA

View Full Version : Need a spare key made

DirtyRonin
04-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Anybody know a place in downtown seattle or the eastside that can get a new key cut for my bike. I already have a blank key but the few places I've been to will only cut keys they provide or will not cut keys with chips (immoblizer system) in them.

Thanks,
Nick

DJS
04-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Hey DR, there is a locksmith in the complex near Larry’s Market and Oak Tree Cinemas on Aurora. It is also near Seattle Cycle Center. I can’t remember the name but I have had specialty keys cut there. Sorry I can’t remember the name but if you are in the neighborhood you can swing by.

ngng
04-26-2005, 10:00 AM
our bikes have keys with chips? :eek:

Holeshot
04-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I've just been trying to find a spare key with 'Ducati' on it (I have a spare but it's a Kawasaki blank and way WAY too long). I've tried a few different dealers but everyone seems to give me a blank stare (not pun intended) when I just want a factory blank key. Where/how did you get it?

DirtyRonin
04-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks DRS for the info on that locksmith....

I've just been trying to find a spare key with 'Ducati' on it (I have a spare but it's a Kawasaki blank and way WAY too long). I've tried a few different dealers but everyone seems to give me a blank stare (not pun intended) when I just want a factory blank key. Where/how did you get it?

Bikes with the immoblizer system use keys with an ID chip (possibly RFID) to allow you to start the bike. Without it the bike can not be started.

I bought the blank key from Ducati Seattle (They are currently on back order). I just need somebody to cut the blank key. Then I just take that key, my bike, and the "red master" key down to Ducati Seattle (or any Ducati service department) to have them program the bike to accept the new blank key.

It's all kinda of a pain, but after seeing that segment on bike theft on "Two Wheel Tuesday" I feel a little better about having it.

Dave R
04-26-2005, 10:44 AM

We have one in stock Dave if you want it, give Tim or Jon a call.. OEM non micro chipped "Ducati" key blank... $17.50

As far as having them cut goes, we have used Overlake Lock and Key in Bellevue in Fred Myers parking lot..