PDA

View Full Version : Racing Fuel for this weekends Track-Days

flyingducman
04-27-2005, 10:59 AM
"Trick" brand Racing Gasoline http://www.trickgas.com (Performane Unleaded - Anti-Knock Index (R+M/2) 101 octane) can be purchased very near Pacific Raceways at a Union 76 station on Auburn Way North, in, you guessed it, Auburn.

I treat my little machine to a little of this fine wine from time-to-time. If you've never smelled the sweet, sweet smell of high-octane fuel this is your chance :evilgrin3 !

Yes, it may not be as good as VP's Performance Unleaded, but it's less expensive and can be pumped right into you bike, or into a fuel container.

The address is:

Doug's Auto Row Union 76
1725 Auburn Way S
Auburn, WA 98002
(253) 939-6087

Heading South on Hwy 167 toward Hwy 18 take the 15th St NW exit off Hwy 167. Left at the light onto 15th St NW. Head East (wasn't that an '80's band :happy69: ) on 15th to Auburn Way N. Left at light onto Auburn Way N. Union 76 station will be on your left after less than a 1/4 mile (you may see the "Trick" sign too). One-pump, a handle on each side, $5.25 per gallon.

Follow the route you came in on back to Hwy 167. Get back on 167 headed South and take the Hwy 18 exit East to Pacific Raceways.

Jim is Cool
04-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks, I'll probably just use my good ole 92 octane chevron though!

BTW, has anyone seen the price of VP lately? DAM! Thank goodness I don't have a high comp engine anymore!

flyingducman
04-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks, I'll probably just use my good ole 92 octane chevron though!

BTW, has anyone seen the price of VP lately? DAM! Thank goodness I don't have a high comp engine anymore!

So you really are a "Cheap Bastard"? :D

darkduc
04-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Crazy! I think I'm all good with Chevron Supreme. It's expensive enough already. Say, anybody have a trailer or a truck with room for a 5 gallon jug of gas? I'm running down on the bike so I can't exactly bring extra fuel with me and I know I'll want some.

If anyone has room and a jug, bring it full of Supreme gas and I'll pay for it.

:happy57:

Torben
04-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I usually run 87 octane (cheap unleaded) and have never had problems. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy 87 octane and spend $1.50 at (insert name of your favorite auto store here) on octane booster?

lll0228
04-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Well...I run 87 all the time but my Monster has low compression.

From my combustion class (doesn't that sound awesome) a while back the octane number should match the compression ratio, or else it can simply cause incomplete combustion and, for our bikes, it actually reduces performance. And I think I read somewhere that race fuel can harden the rubber hoses, but I haven't had time to confirm that.

lll0228
04-27-2005, 11:50 AM
If anyone has room and a jug, bring it full of Supreme gas and I'll pay for it. :happy57:
Hey Jeff, I can't remember how many gas jugs I have and what size they are, but I can bring some with me. I will pick up the canopy and stuff from T's place at an ungodly 7am, and gas can come with it.

flyingducman
04-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Crazy! I think I'm all good with Chevron Supreme.:happy57:
There's also a Chevron and a Shell station at the intersection of 15th St and Auburn Way North. It's so close to Pacific Raceways you'll arrive with your tank near-full.

Does anybody know if Pacific Raceways and/or NESBA sell fuel on-site for a track-day event :confused:

Torben
04-27-2005, 11:53 AM
They have the race fuel there but I think it runs like $9.50 a gallon :scared10:

darkduc
04-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Hey Jeff, I can't remember how many gas jugs I have and what size they are, but I can bring some with me. I will pick up the canopy and stuff from T's place at an ungodly 7am, and gas can come with it.

Ok great! Thanks Leo!

lll0228
04-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Ok great! Thanks Leo!
What else do you guys need? I will see how much stuff I can cram into my Jetta's trunk (it's pretty large) with the seats down.

darkduc
04-27-2005, 12:04 PM
I guess a few more camping chairs would be nice if you have any.

flyingducman
04-27-2005, 12:06 PM
What else do you guys need?

How about a couple of those models you shot for the calendar :evilgrin3 !

lll0228
04-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Can you promise that you won't be looking or thinking about them while you are on track? I hate causing accidents...

Bong
04-27-2005, 03:06 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Torben
04-27-2005, 06:53 PM
No thoughts on running base fuel with an additive? :confused:

Jim is Cool
04-27-2005, 08:58 PM
No thoughts on running base fuel with an additive? :confused:

here's my $ .02, Octane 101:

Don't worry about it, octane additives don't really work anyway, they used to when there was lead in the fuel, it was called a "lead bump".

Low Octane=faster burning, less resistant to predetonate
High Octane=Slower burning, more resistant to predetonate

If you are running a Stock whatever, high octane will be a waste of money and probably rob you of HP, in fact I can put money on that statement.

High compression engines like my ex-900 run at 13.5:1 with no knock sensor etc. You need the high octane so you don't detonate before the plugs fire, think of a diesel engine, that's how they run; low octane, VERY high compression, when the compression strock is squeezing the air, the temp rises very fast, to the point of spontanious combustion, to keep it from firing premeturely they don't add the fuel until it needs to fire via injectors.

In a gasaline engine you have to walk a fine line, not enough octane, you run the risk of detenation (Knock) which is actually multiple flame fronts coliding with each other, in a worst case, you can shatter rings....yes, I've done it, yes it sucked. If you go too far in the other direction, you have a slow burning fuel that will probably not burn completely and the flame front will be slower as well. That's why it works in a high compression engine so well, the compression helps with combustion.

So, save your money and just buy pump gas. Unless you really want to mess up everything and go with Nutec or VP MR fuels....probably add 5-7hp, but it costs around $15-20 p/gallon....not worth it, your not trying to beat anyone. Besides, it stinks and you can mess up seals and hoses if you don't flush everything before you go home.

flyingducman
04-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Can you promise that you won't be looking or thinking about them while you are on track? I hate causing accidents...

Yes...but remember, promises are meant to be broken. :evilgrin3