PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sullivan RR School vs 2Fast

flyingducman
05-02-2005, 12:45 PM
After attending this past weekends NESBA track-day I'm considering attending either Mike Sullivans Road Race School on June 1st ($300 level 1 or $325 level 2)

OR, 2FAST's program on May 18th for $219.

I can't afford Freddy Spencer's program in Las Vegas so it's one of these two, if any.

I WILL be doing at least two or three full track-day's between now and the end-of-the-season and thought this might help me get more out of those days.

Anybody have any advice as to which would be better, and why???

If you don't want to post it publically you can e-mail/PM me or complete the anonymous poll above.

91aztec
05-02-2005, 12:55 PM
I am attending the May 18th 2fast track day at Pacific. I will be going with three others and attending the 100 session with instruction. The guys I am going with have good things to say about it but I have no first hand knowledge.

DRS
05-02-2005, 01:30 PM
first of all you need to determine what it is you want to get out of a school. 2fast is not a typical roadrace school like sullivan's school; however, i do believe he offers similar curriculum to ours with an emphasis on trackday riding. we’re a competence school for the average riders who want to improve his/her skills – most of whom have no interests in racing. unlike race schools, our goal is not to teach riders how turn fast lap times: instead, we teach riders of all kinds how to ride smoother, smarter, safer, and ultimately faster. the skills learned in our class sessions are practiced in the controlled environment of a race track, but the school and classroom curriculum have little to do with racing.

flyingducman
05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
first of all you need to determine what it is you want to get out of a school. 2fast is not a typical roadrace school like sullivan's school; however, i do believe he offers similar curriculum to ours with an emphasis on trackday riding. we’re a competence school for the average riders who want to improve his/her skills – most of whom have no interests in racing. unlike race schools, our goal is not to teach riders how turn fast lap times: instead, we teach riders of all kinds how to ride smoother, smarter, safer, and ultimately faster. the skills learned in our class sessions are practiced in the controlled environment of a race track, but the school and classroom curriculum have little to do with racing.

Thanks Danny, for the response.

First, I've heard nothing BAD about either provider, they both seem very competent. So, it's what you've shared here that is the reason for my thread. I want as much info as I can get to make the best decision.

2Fast has got 2Things going for it so far (actually 3). It's less expensive (always a consideration, but not the sole consideration), there's already a member (91Aztec) who's going and had friends who had good things to say and I DON'T HAVE TOO WAIT AS LONG TO GET ON-THE-TRACK :D .

yo_eddy
05-02-2005, 06:44 PM
I did a 2-fast day last year. IMO, well worth the money spent. The improvement in riding from the beginning to the end of the day was noticeable, and I still use what I learned most every day on the street.

A couple things. The instructors were helpful, but they have quite a bit of ground to cover, so if you have questions, don't wait for them to come to you. Go ask them, they were happy to help. The class time was helpful as well. Also a good time to ask questions, especially later in the day. Not as many people asking questions then. Pay close attention to when and where you need to be at what time. They take you down to the track to watch for one session, but you don't have much time to get it together, so if you miss it you are out of luck.

Holeshot
05-03-2005, 11:27 AM
I've been considering proper training myself. I'm leaning towards the Sullivan school though for the sole reason that I'm assuming there is more focused and has more instructors. This is of course an assumption on my part.

Anyone taken Sully's school? PM, post public, e-mail me. whatever.

THX!!

lindsay
05-03-2005, 03:07 PM
i took the sullivan school last year and was kinda underwhelmed. not to say it wasn't valuable, it was, but i've honestly learned almost as much from advice from nesba control riders or motocorsa instructors (both free with track days.) i don't have any experience with mario's instructors or the 2fast instructors to compare though.

the sullivan school was pretty much track time, with some minor "classroom" sessions and mentored time. the mentor time (the majority of the day) was the most helpful -- you start out 6 or 7 riders paired with an expert racer, who shows you the lines conga style, has each rider in the group take turns in the front, and then gives you critique at the end of the session. i was looking forward to the afternoon, where my instructor (barry wressel) was to take us out in groups of two for intense schooling. the problem was that the track was essentially unregulated in the afternoon, with anyone able to go out anytime, and there were crashes often enough that we never got to have the solo time.

i did the intermediate group. from what i could see, the beginner group had a lot of 'classroom' time (valuable to know the ropes on the track) and the expert group had no class time and lots of close to one-on-one instruction. i didn't get any amazing insights from my personal critique, but a few helpful pointers on lines, body position, brake points, etc. the key thing i learned was very specific pacific raceways knowledge and strategies -- which line is fastest through what corners, where the bumps are, where to block passes, etc. there wasn't as much technique teaching as track strategy in the intermendiate group i was in.

the sullivan school wasn't that far removed from the pridmore school i did a few years back (and got me hooked on track riding) with the exceptions that pridmore focused much more on technique and not track knowledge, and was heavier on class sessions. that school had two groups; the slow group had 1/2 class time and 1/2 track time with very little personal instruction (you had to ask for critique, and the only advice i got was 'you're doing great, keep it up.') the fast group had almost all track time with personal instruction if you sought it out. they had a few other tricks like 2-up rides with reg and so forth.

honestly, i think any school is worth doing, it's a question of the money spent and your goals. you can probably get 75% or more of the value out of a lower cost option like track day instruction from 2fast, nesba, adrenaline freaks, etc as you would at a race school, but of course to a racer that last 25% is worth twice the price. i think the key is seeking out advice -- every school i've witnessed has been more than happy to spend lots of time with the riders that seek it but they won't agressively pursue you to give you advice if you don't speak up.

i'm thinking of doing the sully school again in a couple weeks at spokane, because i have a race there in three weeks and have never been on the track there.

hope this is helpful.
lindsay

flyingducman
05-03-2005, 06:43 PM
hope this is helpful.
lindsay

Very...thanks for taking the time to share so much.

belikeh20
05-04-2005, 01:15 PM
The mystery lady is Tera Patrick. I had the "pleasure" of being her photographer. :happy64:

Thanks Nathan for your insight on taking the right steps to track-day success.

And thanks for the mini membership-drive. You practically took the words right-out-of-my-mouth!

Who's the mystery lady-friend in the picture...if you don't mind me asking? :p