PDA

View Full Version : '05 Gsx-r 1000

UKDuc
05-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Has anyone read the reviews on that bike? It got amazing reviews in Bike magazine. It just seems really user friendly and way less intimidating than some of last years 1000s. The more I read about it the more I think that maybe there should be one in my future - not that I have any way to afford one right now with the Duc, but there is no denying the appeal :evilgrin3

Cromo900
05-05-2005, 10:17 AM
This guy seems to like his... www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164298

Jim is Cool
05-05-2005, 10:26 AM
That's Brian, he's one of our Control Riders.

He really likes it. It was wild, coming out of the bus stop I could kinda hang with him until he went plaid, then I think all the air was being sucked forward. Coming out of the death shoot onto the drag strip he had to make it one big arch to make turn one, and even then it through him to the inside of turn 2.

The cool thing was the cool dark line all the way through that section....no thanks, that terminal velocity really freaks me out.

Roadstergal
05-05-2005, 11:13 AM
It helps that IMO, it's far more beautiful than the previous generation.

SeattleStallion
05-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Ya, this one looks so different than last years model. It's so unique among japanese sportbikes... :rolleyes:

http://www.eternaltides.com/bikes/nesba/05gix1k.jpg

flyingducman
05-05-2005, 09:20 PM
The more I read about it the more I think that maybe there should be one in my future :evilgrin3

Once you get hooked on the track (and maybe racing), dump the R6 and track/race the 1000 :D You'd have one of the sweetest machines on-the-track.

Whatever you do...DO NOT BECOME "DUC-LESS"!!! :eek:

UKDuc
05-05-2005, 11:59 PM
I think it does look great with the new back-end and the many other mods, but the fact that it weighs as much as a 600 and revs like a 600 but has an extra 15bhp than last years model and even with that, they say it is so creamy smooth that it just seems so easy to ride with confidence rather than fear - it just sounds peachy!

Apostate
05-06-2005, 08:31 PM
It helps that IMO, it's far more beautiful than the previous generation.
Excepting that stock exhaust cannister that looks as though it was stolen from a Rune, of course. Then again, it's the first thing to be replaced, so no big deal. Except it's a shame to dump a Ti exhaust. If they were going to make it so ugly, couldn't they have made it out of lead?? :D

kamran
05-06-2005, 09:14 PM
I was just going through airports and read an article in one of the motorcycle magazines (not sure which one, I was just killing time at the airport!). There was a very good comparison article on the new Geexer, the new Kawasaki, and the "ultimate 1000, in-line four" the MV. ... and the winner was....? The MV.

If you are a Duc fan and you are aching for an in-line four with tons of wild ponies, I'd save my money and get an MV! :evilgrin3 (... MV's are designed by the same person who designed the 916. Claudio Castiglioni and Massimimo Tamburini, the former director and chief designer from Ducati who put Ducati on top in World Superbike in the early 1990's and created the most significant sportbike of all time - the Ducati 916 and its variants.).

...and you never have feel embarrassed about the pipes! ;)

martino
05-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Alternatively you spend some part of the ~ $10K difference between GSX-R and MV and get yourself some nice cans :happy57: . On the other hand not even golden cans on GSX-R will make it look as good as MV.
Sometimes when I look at Italian vs. other bikes, German vs. Jpn cars, Scotish vs. other HiFi gear, ... I wonder if it really is about the perf, quality, etc. or just about the uniqueness (which I like a lot; the possitive one). Well, Ducs are becoming less and less unique just as BMW, Audi, and other German cars have become. I see more Ducs every day in Seattle than over a 2 week period in Spain :confused:.
Maybe soon there will not be much of the 'uniqueness' advantage of paying twice for the Italian bike than for 'similar' perf Jpn unit. Till that time I am all for the Agusta or I need to come up with another reason for spending $10K more :happy44: .

kamran
05-06-2005, 10:21 PM
Yum, yum, and yum......yummy! :D

Like I said...no worries on the exhaust exchange either...! ;)

poppa duk
05-06-2005, 10:29 PM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!

flyingducman
05-06-2005, 10:44 PM
...and you never have feel embarrassed about the pipes! ;)

I don't know...the pipes on the MV are pretty funky themselves. Maybe you could rig them to shoot flames out each pipe and dress-up like batman. :happy57:

I'm just fricken with ya...the bike, and it's specs are pretty amazing. ;) I'd like to see the back of it with a SIL Motor one-piece like the one they make for the 999/749. Then it'd be bad-to-the-bone!

charon
05-06-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm a bit skeptical that the new MV can get around the track faster than the new GSX. That new GSX is pretty insane and MV's have always been a very well engineered chassis in a beautiful body with an underpowered motor.

Dave R
05-06-2005, 11:34 PM
sorry to hi jack this thread but it is relevant I think :indiffere
We have an "old school" 2003 GSXR1000 coming in on trade for an out dated technology 2001 Ducati 996SPS.. Like many, he is coming back for more after buying the most current Japanese Rocket :p he "misses the feeling of the Ducati"
Anyone want to buy a perfect condition, 8000 mile, Blue White GSXR1000 ??

flyingducman
05-06-2005, 11:37 PM
sorry to hi jack this thread but it is relevant I think :indiffere
We have an "old school" 2003 GSXR1000 coming in on trade for an out dated technology 2001 Ducati 996SPS.. Like many, he is coming back for more after buying the most current Japanese Rocket :p he "misses the feeling of the Ducati"
Anyone want to buy a perfect condition, 8000 mile, Blue White GSXR1000 ??

Sounds like it has the makings of a great track-bike for some fortunate soul.

Would you share what you'll be hoping to get for it :confused:

Dave R
05-07-2005, 07:48 AM
We anticipate it will go on the block for 7000 to 7500. The customer should be in this next week to finalise his deal and I will post the final outcome then.

kamran
05-07-2005, 08:45 AM
If you read the article comparing the MV with Geexer, it says that Geexer wins on the track and on the show room, but not in overall their evaluation!!! :D Although they admit they did not push the MV as hard as they could have, as responsive as it was. It's a good article (I wish I could remeber the magazine name). On the cover it has the picture of the three bikes...

As for power...well 173 (Tamburini) ponnies, (166 for standard model) is not bad. It does have more torque than the Geexer:

http://www.mvagusta.com/web-mvagusta/pdf-files/F4_1000_TAMBURINI-eng.pdf

Bong
05-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Oh Dave, I'm going to have to stay away from the shop then! That ride on Bill's 1k sure has me thinking :rolleyes:

UKDuc
05-07-2005, 10:22 AM
I think I'd have to be a little more wealthy than I am now to get an MV as a track tool :rolleyes: Maybe the GSXr is more of an appliance than an artwork, but in terms of fit for purpose it seems almost perfect, and you would not worry a great deal about scratching it on the track. I am not sure I would want one on the road - far too tempting to do evil :happy57:

They had another interesting article in Bike magazine too, where they detuned a late model R6 for torque and low end power at the expense of top end power (they increased power down the rev range something like 15% up to 9k revs or something, at the sacrifice of top end power). They found that everyone who rode the detuned bike found it felt much quicker and responsive than the stock higher powered bike (higher peak power). Their point at the end was that Japanese engine tuning had gone in the wrong direction for the last 15 years.

Dave R
05-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Sounds like it has the makings of a great track-bike for some fortunate soul.

Would you share what you'll be hoping to get for it :confused:

Ok, it's ours to sell... 2003 GSXR1000, 4046 miles, no scratches, blue/white, all stock
$7999.00

DRS
05-11-2005, 04:11 PM
i absolutely love my 03 gsxr 1000 on the street but having ridden it on the track it's my humble opinion that it's an awful lot of bike to have for just a track bike. it's a highside machine with the most extreme corner exit acceleration you could possibly imagine. a 600 or a 750 is a much better track bike, much more enjoyable to rail on without the god fearing power of the 160 bhp gsxr1000. and god forbid you're out on a semi wet track one day, your pucker factor will triple and it's very likely you'll end up with a permanent starfish creased into your seat. so buy it for the street, and take your duc on the track.... :happy57:

i miss my duc on the track... :(

flyingducman
05-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Like I said...no worries on the exhaust exchange either...! ;)
Oh, why not worry :confused: It keeps the blood flowing to the brain :p

kamran
05-11-2005, 07:18 PM
... better yet :D , do you mean ;) :
Sorry, couldn't up load the picture...I guess I exceede my limits???!!!

kamran
05-11-2005, 09:42 PM
ok, ...finally! I was able to delete some older pictures to be able to upload these...
So, once again, is this what you mean??? :D
That'd be the finished product ... ;)

flyingducman
05-11-2005, 09:49 PM
ok, ...finally! I was able to delete some older pictures to be able to upload these...
So, once again, is this what you mean??? :D
That'd be the finished product ... ;)

Yes...and I could fight crime, and ride at the same time with my flame-throwing F4! I could be MV Man!

kamran
05-19-2005, 11:44 AM
here you go, at a mere $252.60 a horse; :D
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/5/3/79189353.htm