PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Bolt, Need Help

richmeyer
10-24-2010, 03:07 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x254/richardmeyer2/IMG00403-20101024-1255.jpg

So the bottom bolt of my rearset mount is rounded out. Any ideas of how to get it out? I was thinking of drilling the head out and then using an easy out but there's a whole bunch of thread locker on there. I've also thought about using the dremel to slot the head of the bolt for a flathead. Any tips or tricks? Thanks!

Dave R
10-24-2010, 03:22 PM
have you applied some heat?? looks like maybe you have but if not try that and maybe a airgun to rattle it out

Sieg
10-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Impact, stick the allen key in and tap llightly with a hammer to losen rust.

Penetrating lube from backside

The socket damage was likely caused by a worn or poor quality allen key. Fresh high quality allen keys are critical. Some vary quite a bit in dimension. Do not use round head allen key in this situation.

Possibly an SAE allen could be tapped into position.

Another option is high quality star point driven into the allen socket.

Using the above with a 3/8" drive hammer type impact wrench would be beneficial.

And another is to use a square taper screw extractor.

Drilling would be the last resort IMO.

richmeyer
10-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Grazie!

rearickm
10-24-2010, 05:47 PM
I would try a bolt extractor before drilling the the screw and attempting a screw extractor. If there is room to get on on the head of the screw that might be a good bet. If the bolt extractor doesn't work I would soak it with penetrating oil, drill it with a left handed bit then try the screw extractor. Maybe put some heat to is as well. Good luck.

KyuzoDaimyo
10-25-2010, 07:02 PM
I literally had the exact same problem last year on my 848 when I went to put new rearsets on it. Some heat and a bolt extractor I got at Lowes did the trick in less than a minute.

Lotus54
10-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Yes, impact wrench.

Use one of the old 'hammer on' types. That way it seats it better each time you hit it (also rotating it). Plus it helps break loose the locktite.

+1 on all the stuff Sieg said.

Mark

richmeyer
10-25-2010, 10:12 PM
I used the heat + star/torx bit method and it worked like a charm, though now the bolt is stuck on the torx bit... I bought a bolt extractor kit but realized after I got back to the garage that there wasnt really enough clearance to use it. But now I have a bolt extractor kit. Good day.

glendmcc
10-25-2010, 11:23 PM
If any of the above don't work... Try buying one of these for the cure:
http://pnwriders.com/motorcycles/140136-ducati-748r-race-bike.html