PDA

View Full Version : Rumors are no more Trellis for 2012, more power and less weight for the superbikes

JohnM
11-24-2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors/2012-ducati-superbike-20-hp20-lbs/

I'm curious how it will look for sure.

Dave R
11-25-2010, 12:33 AM
:whistling:

:popcorn2:

Rich Quarre
11-25-2010, 08:11 AM
That's OK. Whatever it takes to have a winning SBK.:thumbup:

kurtfriedrich
11-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Really glad they are sticking with a twin, but like one of the poster's said on that site;

"Rob Evans says:
I eagerly await this bike, however I would really hate to see the ‘new’ 1198 be even more peaky than the current gen model. To create another 20hp from the same displacement, expect the stroke to be apprx. 60mm or so, meaning itll rev to the moon (for a twin anyway) but lack that bottom end grunt. To me if a twin revs to 13.5k rpm to make an additional 20hp but sacrifices 20ft lbs down low, then whats the point of being a twin powerplant at all? The twin is so amazing because of its ability to put down tractable torque at nearly any rpm, I hope the new Superbike doesn’t lose this trait."

Worst case it will make a used 1198S cheaper, so that'll make me happy!

KyuzoDaimyo
11-25-2010, 11:50 AM
I like progress. I remember when people were convinced that radial tires would be unridably stiff and bias-ply tires were always going to be better. Same for fuel injection replacing carbs, USD forks, ABS, traction control. Technology moves on, preserving an antiquated design because it is "tradition" ultimately means you will just be outdated and people will lose interest. Remember when the 911 first got water cooling? Heresy at the time, now it was a great decision that kept the whole line relevant and moving forward. If the next tradition to get tossed on the pile for the sake of staying relevant is the trellis frame, then so be it, if I want a trellis framed bike in the future I will get a used one (or just keep the one I have longer).

Ducati is supposed to be the exotic-but-accessible-and-competitive motorcycle. If this is the way they need to go to stay that way, I think it is great. I also wonder what will be next? 90-degree layout, twins, desmodromics? One thing Ducati CAN'T do is mimic the other guys. they have the be distinctive and feel exotic.

curvesurfer
11-29-2010, 11:56 PM
if they're going to break the tradition and ditch the trellis, why keep the twin? why not switch to a V4 for WSBK, GP and production bikes?

i know Aprilia has staked out that territory in WSBK, but didn't Ducati pull the full factory effort from that series anyway?

Rich Quarre
11-30-2010, 12:00 AM
curvesurfer, welcome to DNW! Where are you, what are you riding, got any pics?

motodave
11-30-2010, 06:56 AM
I like progress. I remember when people were convinced that radial tires would be unridably stiff and bias-ply tires were always going to be better. Same for fuel injection replacing carbs, USD forks, ABS, traction control. Technology moves on, preserving an antiquated design because it is "tradition" ultimately means you will just be outdated and people will lose interest. Remember when the 911 first got water cooling? Heresy at the time, now it was a great decision that kept the whole line relevant and moving forward. If the next tradition to get tossed on the pile for the sake of staying relevant is the trellis frame, then so be it, if I want a trellis framed bike in the future I will get a used one (or just keep the one I have longer).

Ducati is supposed to be the exotic-but-accessible-and-competitive motorcycle. If this is the way they need to go to stay that way, I think it is great. I also wonder what will be next? 90-degree layout, twins, desmodromics? One thing Ducati CAN'T do is mimic the other guys. they have the be distinctive and feel exotic.

Just look at Harley and their advanced technology and people still buy that (insert your own word here) stuff.

rearickm
11-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Just look at Harley and their advanced technology and people still buy that (insert your own word here) stuff.

The only improvements to HD is the amount of $ the CEO is putting in the bank! Seriously, you pay how much for their "Technology"?

Jeremy
11-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Ducati must win races to sell SBKs. Their company is based on racing. I have no problem with ditching the trellis frame if that helps...or pretty much anything else they need to do. I'd like to see a V4 personally, but a short stroke twin could be interesting.

I just hope the new bike isn't ugly. Besides winning races, their SBKs also must be beautiful.

Rumor has it that they'll rejoin WSBK (factory role; privateers will race in 2011) in 2012 with the new bike. :cool2:

Sieg
11-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Technically in respect to the superbike platforms, the advancements in technology and performance will soon mandate robots to ride these things as they are far exceeding the potential abilities of the typical purchaser. Similar to the Porsche Carrera GT, but the superbikes are affordable. 1270 GT's were produced and approximately 970 are still in existence which could indicate 24% of the owners couldn't handle the performance potential of a platform designed to exploit the track though primarily used on public roads.

Speculatively, the large displacement street legal superbikes and sportbikes may not be long for the world. Much in part to stunters doing ton-up+ wheelies on public roads and eluding LEO's. Cruisers may well be the only big displacement road going bikes with government mandated speed limiters. Smaller displacement V-4's similar to the Honda's of the early 80's may make a comeback in the sportbike market with the performance emphasis on handling.

:popcorn2:

JohnM
11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
For me, the twin was a huge part of my choice of a ducati. There's no replacement for that sound and the torque. I don't need more power (though i'd take less weight), please just put DTC on the 848 replacement and you've got a repeat customer!

SAICO
01-21-2011, 02:38 AM
More calories...........less filling............. Yeah, baby!!! :thumbup:

http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_news/future_bikes_spy_shots/11q1/2012_ducati_superbike_-_future_bikes_spy_shots

dflowers
01-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Sounds very interesting. I've never owned a Duc, but am keeping an eye out for some sort of Rossi special edition, and what better way to do that than with a newly designed superbike. I agree with others that it should stay a v-twin.

kevinp
01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Dropping 20 pounds and adding 20 HP is the right focus for Ducati. This is a dramatic improvement for a production bike. All the other manufacturers are probably scratching their heads without a response. A 340 lb bike with 200 HP would offer stratospheric acceleration performance.