PDA

View Full Version : Multi on CL

rearickm
02-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm thinking it might be time for a touring machine to compliment the 1098.

I just scored my dream job, at least I think it will be, as an introductory field service rep on the 787. So that means a lot of travel and I'll be commuting to Seattle when I'm not on the road for work. So I am looking at getting a decent commuter bike and getting rid of my little Honda Civic. I will keep the 1098 and my truck, that way I can fit everything into a garage and still get the bike to the dealer for service when necessary. I'm going to try and find a condo or townhouse in the Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Edmonds area too.

I saw this on Craig's List and wondered if it was anyone here.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/2203766370.html

Bong
02-08-2011, 01:34 PM
You'll love the MTS for commuting, long distance sport touring, track fun, FS road exploring, etc. Go for it!

Tip: don't rely on the fuel gauge - reset your trip meter at each fill up and get to know how far you can ride before empty. The fuel gauge will tell you empty way before you really need gas. I averaged around 180 miles and got a high of 225 miles on one tank.

Jeremy
02-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Gen. 1 Multistradas make good commuters. I put almost 15K on my old one (also a 2004) commuting year round, rain or shine. :thumbup: The bags are even watertight.

Check to see if the valve guides have been done. The 1000 motors are notorious for needing them, especially the MTS motors.

With the Termi slip-ons the 2004 models tend to backfire (LOUD) on decel. This is due to an exhaust leak at the 1st header pipe joint coming off of the vertical cylinder (it's a poor design). Seal that up and you chould be good...the Nemesis ecu might already have solved it as changing the fueling can also help (I fixed mine with a Powercard).

The bikes run best when the oil temp is over 200*. Not a problem in nice weather, but impossible in rainy weather since the front wheel throws water from the road onto the oil sump. The fix is to install a skid plate...I have one you can have if you get the bike. Mileage should be over 40 in warm weather, low-mid 30s when it is cold out.

Oh yeah...like Bong said, the fuel gauge is worthless. I would just gas up around 150 miles....and always had a gallon left.

rearickm
02-08-2011, 01:50 PM
You'll love the MTS for commuting, long distance sport touring, track fun, FS road exploring, etc. Go for it!

Tip: don't rely on the fuel gauge - reset your trip meter at each fill up and get to know how far you can ride before empty. The fuel gauge will tell you empty way before you really need gas. I averaged around 180 miles and got a high of 225 miles on one tank.

Yeah, I learned not to trust the fuel gages a long time ago. That is more or less a known rule in the aviation community! Per the Fedral Regulations the only time the gage has to read accurately is at Full and Empty. :scared10:

As for resetting the Trip OD, I do that on all my vehicles. Just a habit I got into when I first started to drive. Plus I like to know what kind of mileage I get from all my vehicles. It helps me figure when a tune up is in need.

I'm going to have to think this over long and hard. My first priority will be finding a Condo / Townhouse with a garage to put everything in. Then I can focus on a commuter machine. I have the 1098 for decent weather days and the Toyota for the rest of the days until I get everything sorted out.

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming!

As a side note, I was looking at the Kawasaki Versys. Kind of an ugly looking bike, but I'm curious how they ride. I also came across a Honda NT700. I really want something with hardsided panniers. I welcome any recommendations for bikes. I'm not too prejudice when it comes to 2 wheels. But as far as design, sex appeal and pure fun, Ducati has those covered (on most bikes).

Dave R
02-08-2011, 02:39 PM
We have an 04 on the lot for $100 more with lots less miles (6700), 6K service done last march, new guides as well at that time. No side bags but it does have a top trunk..
http://ducatiseattle.smugmug.com/Other/Trades/MultiStrada/1174980280_5eRGc-M.jpg

rearickm
02-08-2011, 02:48 PM
I saw that one Dave, and while I like having the top case, I really would like the side bags.

My main focus at hand now is to find a place to call home and store my bikes, then I will worry about adding to the stable. DucSea is definitely at the top of the list for places to shop when the time comes!

According to the gentleman that is selling the Multi, DucSea has been the service provider, so should I consider the CL bike, I'll be checking with you for a service history, and a pre-purchase inspection.

Dave R
02-08-2011, 04:04 PM
that bike from CL is here right now if you want to see it... Its actually a microtech ECU not nemisis. His immobilizer has been disabled with this ECU. If you stop in we can go over all the details..

Mitico
02-08-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm thinking it might be time for a touring machine to compliment the 1098.

I just scored my dream job, at least I think it will be, as an introductory field service rep on the 787. So that means a lot of travel and I'll be commuting to Seattle when I'm not on the road for work. So I am looking at getting a decent commuter bike and getting rid of my little Honda Civic. I will keep the 1098 and my truck, that way I can fit everything into a garage and still get the bike to the dealer for service when necessary. I'm going to try and find a condo or townhouse in the Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Edmonds area too.

I saw this on Craig's List and wondered if it was anyone here.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/2203766370.html

Don't they have to actually deliver one before they need a field rep? :p

fseven
02-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Not bike related, but relative to your post...

Congratulations on the job! :happy44:

Habanero
02-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Mike-

I'm a huge fan of the Multi, I love mine. I've had two of them, for a total of 50k miles, It's a great bike. Gotta love a bike you can tour on, or take to the track. PM me if you have any questions about them..

Congrats on the new gig...sounds very interesting, and fun.

Scott

Rich Quarre
02-08-2011, 06:06 PM
First, congrats on the new job...sounds like fun!

Second, I'll echo everything that all the other Multi owners here have said...great all around bike. It does everything well. I had my '06 for 12K miles worth of fun. You'll love it if you get it.

It appears that this one has the longer (newer) mirrors and a taller windscreen. That's good. Like Jeremy said, check on the valve guides. Sounds like DaveR has all the history on this one.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Lotus54
02-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Yes, the Multi is a fantastic bike.
I get 50+ mpg (when it is warm out), it has good power and is hard to beat on a super twisty road- especially if it is bumpy.

I don't use the paniers anymore, but I've gone to minimal packing. They work quite well for hauling satire when you need it.

Like mentioned, the fuel gauge is a joke, but as long as the guides are good they are quite solid. I've heard one or two very early bikes break the rear 'subframe' if a rear tail bag is overloaded. Easy to see.

There is a recall right now for the fuel pump seal, but fully covered with no cost to the owner.

Highly recommended, especially with a service history from DucSea.

Mark

rearickm
02-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Don't they have to actually deliver one before they need a field rep? :p

That would help secure the job for me! :happy57:

Right now we have 7 planes in flight test, so I will be helping to support those. I was a Flight Line Tech on the 787 for a little over 2 years, so I know the plane. I did some time for Pratt and Whitney as a Field Service Engineer and I really miss the travel. The other perk is getting to see the world on the company's dime and meet new people and learn new culture.

The down side is being on the road for extended periods of time, which means less saddle time on my bikes, but I can deal with that.

Thank you to everyone for all the congratulation sentiments and for all the advice on the Multi. I will keep everyone posted on the developments as things evolve.

rearickm
02-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Well my morning CL search has turned up a little more expensive commuter option, but for me it might be worth looking into!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/2204835679.html

Jeremy
02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Well my morning CL search has turned up a little more expensive commuter option, but for me it might be worth looking into!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/2204835679.html

There ya go!

It's also worth noting about the Multi that some have the tank expansion problem. That's what the fuel pump seal recall is about, since that connection leaking is a sign of tank expansion.

My 2004 tank never expanded to my knowledge though. I did always use fuel stabilizer if the bike would be sitting for more than a week though.

Rich Quarre
02-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Nice! :thumbup: