PDA

View Full Version : Bent frame tabs

Carr
02-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Anyone got a suggestion for fixing bent frame tabs on an 848? Was out riding today and my friend clipped my left side bending the shift linkage and frame tabs on my left side. I've seen that Speedymoto has some replacement tabs, so I'll probably end up getting those, but I was curious if anyone else has ripen into this. I don't want to try and bend em back cause that'll just destroy the metal and weaken it to the point where it's not strong enough to support a load.

Rich Quarre
02-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Bummer Carr. Try either/both of these guys. They did my repairs. I highly recommend both.

Richard Wascher at WASCO Frame Services for frame welding/tab repair. 253-927-0669.

Russ Foy at Custom Classic Paint Works for frame touch-up painting. Russ can also probably do the tab repair. 425-433-0712.

Replacing the tabs with stronger ones has a down side. If you crash sometime in the future, instead of just breaking the tabs (like they were designed to do) you end up with a twisted or bent frame. The tabs are pretty easy to get repaired. Just food for thought.

SAICO
02-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Mine got bent during my dunk several months back. I read up on the other forums and spoke to a couple of people. I ended up carefully bending mine back and seem ok so far; putting weight on them. etc. Don't know how bad yours are so..........

Jeremy
02-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Rearset tabs?

If yes, its a common problem. Just bend them back. Worst case they break off and you can get the Speedymoto ones. That'll require getting the frame painted though, or at least spot painted where the frame was grinded for the welding.

Carr
02-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Yeah it's the left side rearset tabs. Been poking around on the other ducati message boards and the consensus is that they can be bent back. Probably just heat em up with a torch and use a pry bar to bend em back.

Bong
02-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Sorry to hear this, Carr. So did your friend hit you while riding :scared10:

Like others pointed out your best bet is to bend the tabs back gently. Good luck!

MarkRam
02-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I got hit (bumped) in a parking lot last year and went down on the left side. Same problem. I just carefully bent them back. No problems since. (where's that wood...)