PDA

View Full Version : I Simply Want to Say...

Two-Push
04-17-2011, 06:02 PM
It's been some time since I've last posted on this site. Indeed, it's been nearly two years since I've ridden anything since the sale of my last Ducati. Despite the wet Spring we've been suffering, the occasional sunny day still has me wanting to ride.

I've decided to buy another bike. Maybe a used one, but I've been spoiled and the bikes I prefer are simply not available in large numbers on, say Craig's List. So... last week I decided to consider something new again. No surprise that a Ducati was high on my list, but my riding style and age has me considering something perhaps less aggressive, and a little more comfortable than a Superbike, yet I wasn't ready for a cruiser.

To the point: How do any of you put up with some of the idiots who think they are in the motorcycle business? I've been riding motorcycles for over 45 years. I've had small cc scooter types, dirt bikes, sport bikes, standards, naked bikes - even a Harley chopper. Why do some dealers that see me walk in, just assume I'm either in the market for a big cruiser or, most likely, think I'm looking for a graduation gift for my grandson? If they bother to greet me at all, or ask if they can help.

I've been around long enough and had enough bikes to expect this, but it doesn't make me feel like digging into my wallet and throwing money at them. With few exceptions, I'm inclined to think most motorcycle dealers do not set up recruiting booths at Mensa Society gatherings..

That said, I am so pleased whenever I walk into a Ducati dealer - and I need to single out Ducati-Seattle since I've bought more than a few bikes from them - and treated like an adult, by adults. Likewise, I've found much the same attention to customers at Moto Corsa in Portland. I will confess, I'm looking at my next bike as something other than a Ducati. A number of the Japanese bikes would seem to be more attuned to my aging riding style. Probably so.. But, based on the care and attention and enthusiasm I have come to expect from the Ducati "family" - including the dealers - it's going to be tough to see me on anything but a new Monster.

Such a class act....

Bong
04-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Good for you, good luck and have fun with your search!

Post pics when you bring your new ride home :cool2:

Rich Quarre
04-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Yes, enjoy the search. It's often said the journey is the best part. Have you tried the Diavel or Multistrada 1200? Best of luck!

Squirley
04-19-2011, 05:11 AM
I'm with you on the Monsters.....my brother, after a few yrs of not riding just snagged a spanky new red multi, he loves it! Hes in CA and we are panning a bike trip to see him over the summer.
Good luck in your search.

JetBrett
04-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Searching is half the fun. Like you....obviously since I post here...Ducati are very high on my list of favorite bikes. I'm currently on an I-4 (with which I'm currently smitten), but I will own another Ducati at some point. I've also noticed that the cost difference vs. the Japanese bikes is becoming less and less in terms of initial purchase price and maintenance. Their ergonomics are also getting better IMO. Post up pics of whatever you get.

BLueth
04-19-2011, 04:02 PM
I had a similar good experience with Duc Sea. After passing my MSF course at age 55 I called around to several dealerships discussing my preference for a sporty bike (not a cruiser) that had a more upright riding position. It so happens that Dave personally took my call and extolled the virtues of the Multi, GT 1000 and Monster. He graciously invited me to come down from Everett and take some test rides now that I was endorsed and had my gear.
I was pleasantly surprised a few days later when I received some tantalizing glossy color brochures of the above three bikes--and I hadn't even requested them.
Obviously I was taken very seriously as a potential buyer and received VIP service when I came for test rides. My favorite was the Multistrada 1100S and that's what I rode home on. I love that bike.
I considered Japanese bikes too, with the advantage of service close to home in Everett and parts readily available, but nothing spoke to me like a Ducati. And the great Ducati community adds a lot to the pride of ownership.
Pick what feels best for you, and please post some pics when you pull the trigger, but I hope you find your way back to the Ducati fold.
Cheers!