PDA

View Full Version : Why don't the Canadians "Wave"?

DucHunter
05-27-2005, 11:05 AM
I had to work up at our Canadian office in Vancouver yesterday, so I figured it was a good day to take the S2R up there.

Word to the wise on crossing the border on a motorcycle. Save yourself an hour in customs by making sure you have your bike registration with you. Still having a temp plate didn't help matters and is what probably flagged me in. Doh!

Anyway, lots of motorcycles on Canada 1 but nobody wanted to wave. A few head nods, but that was it.

I guess all the cheese and hockey checks to the head glues their left hands to the bars???

Torben
05-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Despite the fact I'm Canadian, I've only ridden there once and it was brief.
I think it's cultural - but I'll leave it at that.

Nathan Reynolds
05-28-2005, 07:53 PM
On the contrary I've had the opposite experience in Canada. Six of us went up north for a week, two years ago this weekend. We were all pleasantly surprised at the warm welcome from our fellow bikers. Everyone waved. Even the Harley folk(we figured it's 'cause ALL bikes are imports up there). Hell, even the cage drivers were nice. They moved over to let us pass with a wave and a smile. Love those Canucks! Maybe it was because you were on one of those "trouble making hooligan bikes" :rolleyes:

-dj
05-30-2005, 02:27 PM
One of the things I really miss about the states is the 'wave'. You can't really do it here unless you take your hand off the throttle, so it's pretty much out. I've found that there's a sort of nod here though. Almost a nod/shake of the head, where you can nod without looking down. Guess my point is it's more of a cultural thing as Torben mentioned.

duke999s999
05-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Thats weird how you didnt get a wave. I live there and 8 out of 10 people wave. The ones that dont are usually the fat ones with full beard and a beanie helmet on a custom hog. :confused:

MichaelN
06-01-2005, 09:12 AM
I'm Canadian as well, and I haven't really noticed any difference in waves on either side of the border. Where were you? In town or on a highway? I generally don't get waves from people on city streets (maybe they're too busy avoiding the cages?).

Michael

DucHunter
06-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Funny story for ya.

I had to take the S2R in for it's 600 mile check up at Skagit PowerSports on Friday.

I had a friend loan me an '04 Kawi Ninja ZX6R to get back to Bellingham. I call it the flying crayon.

I was riding it around this past weekend and waved at some kid riding a GSR-X wearing a tank top. Instead of waving back, he did some thing with a head nod and banged on his chest 3 times with his left hand doing a two-finger piece sign! GANGSTA! I started laughing so hard I almost went into the curb.

Apostate
06-02-2005, 07:17 AM
...he did some thing with a head nod and banged on his chest 3 times with his left hand doing a two-finger piece sign! GANGSTA! I started laughing so hard I almost went into the curb... http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/516.gif