PDA

View Full Version : A Sad Day - Claudio Castiglioni Dies at 63

martys
08-17-2011, 07:34 AM
From Motorcycle News this morning -
http://bit.ly/qMVq8p

The president of MV Agusta Claudio Castiglioni died in Varese this morning at the age of 63. The motorcycling magnate and sire of iconic Italian bikes including the Ducati 916 and Monster, MV Agusta F4 and imminent F3, whose taste shaped the desires of millions of motorcyclists passed away in a clinic in Varese early this morning.

Dave R
08-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Sad day indeed..

ducmons
08-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Very, very sad. RIP.

ducati
08-17-2011, 11:20 AM
That is indeed sad. But as life goes on, I'm very interested in how things will unfold in design future without him. :(

A great man with a great mind, indeed.

Squirley
08-17-2011, 12:00 PM
I dont know whose who in the cycle world but I know him from a documentary. :(

martys
08-17-2011, 01:14 PM
I saw a documentary that featured him a while back that showed how he designed the old fashioned way, with clay models and a sculptor's knife. His designs from decades earlier eventually became the F4. Amazing visionary, a real loss to the art of the motorcycle.

Rich Quarre
08-17-2011, 01:23 PM
That is indeed sad. Way too young.

Mitch
08-17-2011, 07:38 PM
RIP

From MCN -

British designer Adrian Morton, who worked closely with Castiglioni on the new F3: "There are so many bikes that wouldn't exist if it weren't for Claudio. His passion for making beautiful bikes is what shaped everything we did, and his presence is always felt here. It's shocking to think we won't see him any more. He was heavily involved in all future product development right to the end in his characteristic 'insistent' manner. His passion for the bikes kept him going. It was a nightmare trying to keep him happy with the F3, but that's what made it the bike it is. In an era when most people who run businesses wouldn't care if it was motorcycles or washing machines their factories turned out, Claudio was the last of a breed. Hopefully the bikes we do in future reflect his insistence on special machines."

Imagine the last 2 decades of motorcycling without the Monster, 916 and F4! :scared10:

And don't forget one of the great business deals in recent history - Get Harley to buy your company, pay off the debt, develop a new bike, and then sell it back to you for $1. :bowdown:

ducati
08-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Good point! :-(