PDA

View Full Version : Putting motorcycle in living room?

diolopez
10-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Just wondering if anyone has put a motorcycle away for a few months(maybe forever)? I normally used them, but the Xerox is being put up for display. Should I drain all fluids, leave it on a battery tender? Just looking for tips. Don't want a rusty tank or something internal messing up from sitting to long. Thanks.

ducati
10-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Only thing I would be cautious about is breathing those hydrocarbons. Careful of that.

martys
10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
a friend of mine just did the same thing with her Bimota. talk to one of the shops about what fluids to drain and what ones to leave. drain all the gas, dry out the tank, drain the coolant, put fresh oil in it. flush brakes and clutch with clean fluid. also squirt a little oil in the cylinders and cycle them a few times to keep them from getting rough. pull the battery and leave it in the garage. you might want to cover or plug air intakes and exhaust tips.

kurtfriedrich
10-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Cmon man, my Xerox is not going to put yours to shame, it doesn't have to go hide indoors!! :action027

diolopez
10-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Cmon man, my Xerox is not going to put yours to shame, it doesn't have to go hide indoors!! :action027

:fight7 She's running away scared. Better watch it Kurt. Might show up to Russ's and not have some fairings to take home.
It's a great bike but I bought it for personal reasons. I already told my son its his when he's 18 (9 years from now). I'll have either a Diavel or 1199 next year to ride, or the 900ss.

Rich Quarre
10-11-2011, 08:02 AM
a friend of mine just did the same thing with her Bimota. talk to one of the shops about what fluids to drain and what ones to leave. drain all the gas, dry out the tank, drain the coolant, put fresh oil in it. flush brakes and clutch with clean fluid. also squirt a little oil in the cylinders and cycle them a few times to keep them from getting rough. pull the battery and leave it in the garage. you might want to cover or plug air intakes and exhaust tips.
Good list Marty. You might ask around about draining the coolant though. Seems like corosion and dried out rubber seals and hoses might be an issue if it's drained and left for months. Put the bike on front and rear stands also, or at least move it every once in a while, to keep the tires from getting flat spots.