PDA

View Full Version : A few riders down, tough weekend

Dave R
06-21-2004, 08:00 PM
For those of you who know Layne Howard (Mental on Speedzilla) he went down hard on Sunday along with a RC rider Eric.. http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=28404
It sounds like all the others that were there had their act together and took care of business, maybe even saved Layne's life.. He is in a Portland Hospital (Emmanuel) ? and will most likely be there for 2 weeks before they can move him closer to home (Kennewick) He bought a used 03 998 Bip from us last year..turned it into a Mono with red painted mirrors and tons o' carbon..It was at the Dyno day and won the 998 HP prize....let's all wish him well..
Next, yes it's not over yet... The infamous Robert Ghandt aka "Shredder" was taken out while riding his 999 by someone who ran a red light !! :mad: He went to Harborview, a bit broken up but he will heal by the sounds of it.
Please everyone be smart, wear your gear even though it is hot for a few days..and be careful !

Torben
06-21-2004, 08:08 PM
I heard about Shredder, but not Mental. That sucks. I was almost taken out a few times on Sunday, once I was forced onto the shoulder on 405.
With the data Leo posted earlier, it seems like cagers need to pay more attention to what's going on around them. It's like driving is a secondary activity to everything else, which is the exact opposite for riders. By nature, we must pay attention to everything as the stakes are much higher and vehicle control is far different naturally.

One day I hope to have enough DOC members and alliances formed with other local clubs to where we can have a lobbying arm aimed at raising the concerns of us riders to the local and state governments.

Dave R
06-21-2004, 08:22 PM
we also had a M620 Dark with silver frame and wheels that was sitting outside the shop today, looks like he was rear ended ! I rolled it inside.. Not sure who the owner is but it is an 03 with low carbon Gianelli Exhaust...?? Jon thinks it may belong to a police officer.. Hope he is ok too !

darkduc
06-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Good grief! Be careful out there everyone! We certainly don't need any more injuries or broken bikes!

lll0228
06-21-2004, 08:27 PM
I hope everyone Layne, Eric and Shredder will all heal very soon. It is painful to hear accidents like these, especially with such experienced riders.

People, wear safety gear, keep your eyes open and ride safe. People are not that considerate (I almost screamed at a girl putting on makeup in her car while driving next to me after I read this at school). My trip back was longer than usual, with a heavy heart.

Everyone: be safe, be careful.

Lighting a candle for the guys. :(

Torben
06-21-2004, 08:48 PM
I will be sending something to both shredder and mental on behalf of all the members of Desmo Northwest in the next few days. If anyone has any specific details on each person's location and any thoughts on what to send, please let me know ASAP

mikimoto
06-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Wishing those riders, godspeed on their recoveries.

Miki

mike
06-21-2004, 11:01 PM
any thoughts on what to send, please let me know ASAP

When I was down and couldn't ride while I was healing I would've loved a DVD care package. Maybe a copy of "Faster" or another (non-Hollywood) bike flick to keep them encouraged until they can get back in the saddle?

jpuck91
06-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey everybody. Might want to check out this thread on Speedzilla, provides some more detail about what happened at St. Helens/Johnson Ridge on Sunday. This is where Mental went down.

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=28404

Couple others of us crashed too (Eric and myself) in the same incident but we escaped with pretty minor injuries. Eric was released from the hospital today and is doing fine, minus a couple sprains & some bruising. I was just a little banged up and was able to ride home after some field repairs to the bike.

Thanks for everyone's support. And I must repeat what the other guys have said about the group we had up there - everybody pulled together really well and took care of things. Very cool group of guys.

One of the guys from the group headed down to Portland today to see Layne, so we should have an update on Speedzilla regarding his condition within a day or so.

Best wishes to everyone else who went down or came close to it... tough weekend indeed.

triple9kyle
06-22-2004, 08:10 AM
jpuck, i can't get the link to work, regardless my thoughts to out to you and your friends. best wishes and get well soon.
Kyle.

Holeshot
06-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Keep mental in youre prayers folks.. he's having a very rough time of it.. :(

Speedzilla - Laynes Current Condition (http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=28457)
I heard from Layne's brother this morning. Lonn Howard reported the following regarding Layne's condition.

Yesterday morning, the hospital was moving him and increased the morphine to help him deal with the pain. As they were doing this he crashed. They then had to inject something to counteract the morphine which allowed them to get his breathing and heart re-started. Now, he is experiencing the full extend of the pain as they can't seem to get it back under control.

mofoninja
07-27-2006, 11:37 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his loved ones.
:(
-m

Bill Anderson
07-28-2006, 08:19 AM
The original post is two years old. I believe he recovered and is riding again.

Zach
07-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Whoa, Shredder got taken out again?! Didn't he get hit hard a coupla years ago?

Zach

flyingducman
07-28-2006, 07:16 PM
:confused1