PDA

View Full Version : Licensing fee - Seattle - CRAZY!!!

martino
07-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Just received a lovely Vehicle Renewal Notice for my 2002 S4. The charge is an outfreakingrageous $203.75 (including custom license plate fee of some $30). I think, this is totally ridiculous for a bike.
My cage, which is 2001, was $400 for Seattle and $200 for a Bellevue address (I had that option as it is more of a business car and I rent an office there). I hate to feed the fat bustard bureaucrats and the the damn monorail but I don't want the muni-police to chase me for registering the bike under not my neccesarily primary residence address.
Is it a mistake on their part or all of us getting worked with no batter in Seattle?

Torben
07-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Enjoy the monorail! :evilgrin3
Pays to live out here in the boonies. No RTA, no monorail tax, etc etc. Just ask Gman :D
I paid $32.75 for my 749 last year, and both my cars were the same. :p

ducfoot
07-11-2005, 08:13 PM
No mistake, we're being screwed royally.
See my little vent in Ranting, Raging " The Monorail tax is killing me"
My '99 996 was $193 with no custom plate.
I feel your pain....

flyingducman
07-11-2005, 08:19 PM
I hate to feed the fat bustard bureaucrats and the the damn monorail...If you're lucky they'll do a MonoBAIL, instead of a Monorail. Good luck getting a refund :mad: !

charon
07-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Yeah, it's pretty terrible. I moved downtown and my tabs went up about 150$.

I saw a headline the other day that the monorail would not pass today. I wonder if we can vote to repeal it somehow.

Holeshot
07-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Enjoy the monorail! :evilgrin3
Pays to live out here in the boonies. No RTA, no monorail tax, etc etc. Just ask Gman :D
I paid $32.75 for my 749 last year, and both my cars were the same. :p

Yeap.. it's tough to cough up the money. We have an extra levy here and my annual is a whopping $33.75 per car. Man.. I hate it..
:evilgrin3

Honestly I used to pay that sort of scratch down in Kalifonica and I feel your pain.. that's robbery IMHO. As if the gas tax is not enough... :sign03:

SeattleStallion
07-12-2005, 05:45 PM
You guys seriously want to give up on it now, after all that money and time has already gone into it?

I say just pay whatever it costs, and be happy if it helps traffic even just a tiny little bit.

Eddy
07-12-2005, 06:05 PM
I bent over for this one last year on the 996 and vowed NEVER AGAIN. Love the view from my "Edmonds Timeshare" :rolleyes:

Jeremy
07-12-2005, 06:23 PM
You guys seriously want to give up on it now, after all that money and time has already gone into it?

I say just pay whatever it costs, and be happy if it helps traffic even just a tiny little bit.

Giving up on it would be one of the best things to happen to Seattle. Go visit the current POS monorail and envision that beast all the way thru downtown. Sure...better technology now...that's what they said when the 1st one was built...it'll still be crap in 20 years.

Underground lightrail the way to go.

SeattleStallion
07-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Giving up on it would be one of the best things to happen to Seattle. Go visit the current POS monorail and envision that beast all the way thru downtown. Sure...better technology now...that's what they said when the 1st one was built...it'll still be crap in 20 years.

Underground lightrail the way to go.

I don't think the monorial is ugly at all. And if the new one has the supports spaced even farther apart, and is higher off the ground, I think it'll look better.

light rail on the ground would be much uglier. Light rail under the ground would be enourmously more expensive. I don't get it. You aren't willing to see construction on the streets of downtown, but you are willing to see the streets of downtown totally ripped and dug out, in order to put a new tunnel in?

Jeremy
07-13-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't think the monorial is ugly at all. And if the new one has the supports spaced even farther apart, and is higher off the ground, I think it'll look better.

light rail on the ground would be much uglier. Light rail under the ground would be enourmously more expensive. I don't get it. You aren't willing to see construction on the streets of downtown, but you are willing to see the streets of downtown totally ripped and dug out, in order to put a new tunnel in?

Personal preference I guess. IMO the monorail is ugly. As far as support size and spacing...they have already increased the support size from the original plan. Also, we are in a very seismically active zone. 20 years from now when we have more earthquake engineering information the supports built today may be deemed inaequate. That is the situation with the elevated portions of BART in SF now. Tunnels on the other hand perform very well in earthquakes.

Underground would cost more, but IMO it's worth it to hide the system. Tunneling has little effect on the surface during construction. Even if they went with top down construction it would only be temporary disruption. I'm not concerned about construction anyways...I'm looking at long term.

Lastly I think Seattle should have an integrated public transportation system. I would rather see the light rail currently under construction expanded. Then a person could get all over town on the same system, ala Boston, NY, London, etc. The monorail would be stand alone requiring riders to change entire systems to get to their destination. Poor planning IMO.

BTW...I'm a tunnel engineer, but I'm not saying this because I'd like more work. It would be cool to work on, but my opinions aren't based on my job...other than I know the issues involved. :p

Williespeed
07-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Having a dozen vehicles between the bikes and cars I hate the screws they are putting to those of us that live in the city. The penalty for lying about were you live to avoid the tax, FELONY what a bunch of crap. i DON'T WANT A NEW MONORAIL. My favorite north bound route is to buried below Alaskan way, I'll miss that sunset ride up the viaduct. So if we are going to tear up downtown for a tunnel anyway throw light rail in the hole with your damn carcinegenic tunnel and call it good. Can you Imagine morning stop and go underground :confused: IMO light rail is a more versatile option. Better yet get the guy who designed Vancouver B.C. Dedicated bicycle streets light rail and traffic that moves well. We need people less involved with thier own agendas and focused on whats best for the city. When I'm Govenor there will be no sales tax on motorcycles and scooters and no licensing fees. I will go now before I really get started

flyingducman
07-13-2005, 12:35 PM
When I'm Govenor there will be no sales tax on motorcycles and scooters and no licensing fees. I will go now before I really get startedDo you need a Campaign Manager :p ?

We could start by convincing everybody that you're actually Jesse :rolleyes: Ventura relocating to the great Northwest!

SeattleStallion
07-13-2005, 01:30 PM
ok, so the tunnel engineer wants to build a tunnel :rolleyes: . Its just a coincidence though :D ... You wanna hear my bias? I don't live in Seattle right now, so I could care less what it costs! :evilgrin3

just an fyi williespeed, I drive in vancouver bc quite often, and the traffic SUCKS THERE TOO. hardcore. They don't even have freeways that go through the city (all the freeways sort of morph into city streets), so even when you are lucky and traffic is light you still have to drive slowly and get through the stoplights. Plus they have numerous highways named the same thing (1 is completely different from 1a, etc.) so I am always lost :o .

Jeremy
07-13-2005, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=SeattleStallion]ok, so the tunnel engineer wants to build a tunnel :rolleyes: . Its just a coincidence though :D ... You wanna hear my bias? I don't live in Seattle right now, so I could care less what it costs! :evilgrin3
QUOTE]

I admit it does sound fishy...guess I need to start that brewery! :rolleyes:

Torben
07-13-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm from vancouver and I remember when the ALRT was started in the early 80s. While it's true that traffic in Vancouver is nasty, the population base is much greater than here, and the transit systems implemented are all tied together. Between buses, ALRT, trains and the sea buses it's seemless getting from as far away as Mission into Downtown, along with other key points like north van, richmond and the airport etc. It's a huge success and it's become a way of life for people to use it. I don't see that kind of forethought in the monorail plan. And don't get me started on this stupid south lake union street car, costing $50 million :rolleyes:

Williespeed
07-22-2005, 12:57 PM
So the roads aren't great but the Mass transit is great. Who needs Mass transit when we have Breweries.