PDA

View Full Version : Decision

Eddy
07-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Last week a fellow rider passed away. I was thinking about attending his funeral the other day but couldn't make time. This got me thinking all over again about what i'm doing and considering swearing off street riding altogether. Just as I'm gathering these thoughts I read of ANOTHER member going down last night and passing away. I've already lost track of ppl who've lost their lives this year alone. I know my number will be called one day but I refuse go out like that, I have too much to live for. Aside from short commutes and hops around town, I'm pretty sure my days of backrailing are done. I'll continue to ride but in a much different environment.

lll0228
07-21-2005, 05:46 PM
I know your feelings. Street riding has lost a lot of appeal to me as well. The track is so much safer and faster, while streets are crowded with bunch of irresponsible, angry idiots who drive vehicles bigger than their ego and skills.

Plus sitting on the air-cooled engine on a summer day is just not what I would call "enjoyable".

I read Seattle Times today and a cop and a bike collided yesterday as well. The biker lived, I guess we will find out what happened soon.

Torben
07-21-2005, 06:10 PM
So, backrailing as far as I'm concerned is NEVER a good idea. Responsibility is in your hands and if you want to drag knees on the road, or ride like a moron without adequate protection that's your decision. Unfortunately that decision impacts others.
While we all know that riding in traffic or in general public has its inherent risks, adding the extra element of excessive speed, no protective clothing, etc etc adds exponentially to the risk.
Bottom line is, ride within your abilities, ALWAYS wear appropriate clothing (yeah, it's hot, but cheaper that a skin graft or a funeral) and don't do stupid shit. I swear I see too many people doing dumb stuff on bikes, just because they can, and some will be affected by it.
When people in our community go for rides, it's known that by and large the pace is sane, the safety factor is high, and everyone looks out for everyone else. If not, then please let me know :evilgrin3
Ultimately, whatever the squids do on their time is their decision. As far as I'm concerned the people we have here are much more fair minded, conservative (from a riding risk perspective) and allow people to ride within their abilities without repercussions or slanderous remarks.
I believe your decision to discontinue backrailing is a good one; group (small or large) rides on the other hand shouldn't be discarded - we're all good people :happy57:

Chris Koxlien
07-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Ride within your limits, but don't give up on riding. You can go so many different ways why not enjoy life by doing the things you LOVE. For me bike riding is one of my favorite past times but I ride within my limits. Sure I may go a little fast for a few, but I am surely not an insane rider. Everyone has a comfort level, stay within yours and have FUN. I'll ride my pace you can ride however you feel comfortable, no problem. Most importantly have a great time and enjoy the ride. When on the road keep your whits and watch for the fools. I commute to and from work on my bike and feel very comfortable in traffic(7,250 miles last year), sure I have my head on a swivel watching everything around me. But the smile I have on my face when I get home from work after a ride, all is good. I understand your point, but I could die in a car wreck just as easy, get hit by a bus, etc. So why not enjoy life while you can, that's my view.

kamran
07-21-2005, 09:26 PM
To keep everything in perspective, the majority of new biker crowds jump right in and buy liter bikes right away. I typically asked them if they had ever ridden a smaller bike before and typically the answer is "NO"!!! ... but they want to have the biggest, because it is the coolest.

Quite often, I'm asked why I didn't buy a 999 instead of a 749? My response is "why?" They typically respond, but it's so much cooler! I tell them if I change the stickers to 999, it'd be exactly the same look??? Besides both bikes have limiters at 150 mph anyway (I think?), so WTF!

Unfortunately we live in a mucho society where bigger is better. I ride my bicycle most days, and almost on a daily basis I have some sort of a confrontation with some jack ass red neck who has "size" inferiority complex!
I started riding on the road long before I was at a legal age to ride. Only as an adult I tend to always back off when I am going to be over my head. I never ride at 100%. I like to keep it at 90% at the most... (as a teenager that was a different story!?)

Last week, while I was leaving Alki, a half a dozen Japanese bikes also left and got right on my rear wheel. They were being stupid and showing off behind me, when I pulled over and used a hand signal to tell to go by me as I had no wish to be among them when they crashed....you just have to let those who want to be idiots go. There is no obligation that you have to follow along and risk your life.

I speed on the highway, but I won't go pass a certain insane limit, even though my friends may want to go at that speed. I can, but I won't...and they just have to wait for me up the road if that is the speed they like to go at.

I've had more serious accidents/injuries on my bicycle than on my motorcycle, but non of these are going to stop me from doing what I love most.

flyingducman
07-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Everyday I read about somebody getting killed in a car wreck...it doesn't stop me from driving.

On occasion, I read about people killed in a plane wreck...and it doesn't stop me from flying.

And, yes, we all read about the accidents involving motorcycles, but it's not going to stop me from riding.

In many instances, accidents of all sorts could have been avoided if better care, and judgement were exercised, by one, or more parties.

When riding I have a HUGE a mount of control over the whole process, and I'd like to think that I'm applying all the knowledge, skill and intelligence I possess to the process.

Anybody new to riding will have thoughts regarding their mortality, and how their new-found hobby could affect it. I did. Each rider must deal with it in their own way. Some stop riding, and the bike sits in the garage. Others will sell their bike with almost no mileage on it. I'm sure many other scenarios have taken place.

Eddy, I hope you'll be able to come-to-grips with your feelings. Whatever you decide, it's got to be the right decision for you...don't let others influence you.

Chris Koxlien
07-22-2005, 06:17 AM
I agree 100%, do what you like as anything else doesn't matter. :D

Rojo Grande
07-22-2005, 07:20 AM
I have owned a BMW R100rs for 20 twenty years. About 8 yrs ago I started noticing how many risks I was taking in my riding. My own moratality stared me in the face. I tapered off riding and then quit all together until last year. I quit and kept my bike. I wanted to wait until I re-developed a healthy respect for my favorite hobby/sport. I bought my Monster and have gone back on a journey of discovery, just like twenty years ago. I have been fortunate and have not had any friends pass away as the result of a bike accident. However, the thought is always present.

These Ducatis appear to lend themselves to riding on the edge (of sanity?). I went on the ride this past Sunday with the group (my first group Ducati experience). It was tempting to try and keep pace (and they weren't going that fast) with the front part of group-but I kept reminding myself to ride within my skill set. There was an incident on the ride-luckily no physical injuries) but it was reninder to to be aware of the enviroment and your personal skill set. For what it is worth, I beleive it is very healthy to question what we do and how we do it. I stopped riding for a few years (I had to listen to my friends rag me about it) but I kept the bike 'cause I knew I would go back to it. There are few activities that offer this level of excitement. Follow your heart-but my .02 worth is to keep the bike in case your passion is rekindled. I beleive it is natural to question after experiencing tragic events like you mentioned.

Sport Twins Forever

Eddy
07-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Just to clarify...

The fellow riders that I speak of were not from this group.

I am not giving up motorcycling altogether. Just railing on backroads and things of that nature.

I can keep myself in check commuting, lax group rides etc. It's when I go out on my own or with a smaller group w/ the intent of turning it up on the twisties that makes me lose focus and responsibility. I'm making a conscious effort to remove myself from this type of riding.

SeattleStallion
07-22-2005, 10:07 AM
I agree that riding superhard in the backroads is a bad thing, so you are making the right decision.

But on the other hand, do you really think its wise to keep a SBK just for commuting? Its not exactly good for that...

Also, what kind of car is that in the background of this pic. is it yours?

http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums/image.php?u=1068&type=profile&dateline=1112036997

Eddy
07-22-2005, 11:14 AM
I agree that riding superhard in the backroads is a bad thing, so you are making the right decision.

But on the other hand, do you really think its wise to keep a SBK just for commuting? Its not exactly good for that...

Also, what kind of car is that in the background of this pic. is it yours?

http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums/image.php?u=1068&type=profile&dateline=1112036997

Heh, didn't plan on keeping it for the sole purpose of commuting ;) In light of recent events i'm more convinced than ever to move the classroom off the street onto the track.

That pic was of my old 996. That would be my buddy's yellow 360 Ferrari Modena in the background. You can only imagine the looks we got cruising around town together :happy57:

flyingducman
07-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I agree that riding superhard in the backroads is a bad thing,...

Maybe dangerous, illegal or even irresponsible...but not bad.

Eddy
07-22-2005, 11:20 AM
just heard yet another rider passing away the other night...

lll0228
07-22-2005, 12:00 PM
That's just too sad.

I think it all depends on your goal in riding. If you are looking for the short-term surge of adrenaline and don't mind the risk, then railing in the backroad is fine. If you are like me, who enjoys riding and would like this to be a sustainable and long-term hobby, being conservative on the streets and leave the railing on the track would be the way to go.

On the streets, do everything in your power to minimize the risk by wearing full gear and riding defensively.

It is also one of the main objective of this group, where the vast majority of the people share the same concern with safety and responsibility while getting the most satisfaction out of our favorite hobby.

swassociates
07-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I have to throw in my 2 cents.

My motorcycle is an extension of myself and my personality. I have it for the enjoyment of ownership, and yes, riding. The fact that it's an extremely powerful Superbike has nothing to do with how I ride it, or if it's practical for how I use it. It is a choice, just like riding faster then conditions allow is a choice. Those are separate issues. You can be killed overriding a Vespa. You can be killed by no fault of your own while riding by an ignorant motorist. The argument that the risk is raised due to the fact the bike is a Superbike is absurd. It's all about how you decide to ride. I've been riding for going on 40 years. I've had a few incidents as you would assume one would have in that many years but when I look back they were all caused by my decisions, and not by the bike. Life is full of risks, but assuming you use your head when you ride reduces that risk to a small number.

If you enjoy the bike, keep it. Ultimately, that's all that matters.

ngng
07-23-2005, 02:02 AM
you should come on some rides with us eddy :)