PDA

View Full Version : stupid cagers

DRS
06-22-2004, 06:06 PM
someone backed over my pretty red 996 today while parked in my parking garage at work... thank god she left a note and has insurance... she will not like the insurance quote on this one.....

damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bong
06-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Glad to hear that the driver owned up to hitting your bike. This sucks, hope you can get your 996 back together quicky!

DJS
06-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Oh man that sucks bad. How the hell do you back over a motorcycle...must take some skill. Ya her insurance co will not be happy. Cool that you will be covered. Post damage pics.

Torben
06-22-2004, 06:50 PM
I hope she will cover your deductable as well.
Sheesh - bad couple of days :(

lll0228
06-22-2004, 07:21 PM
The sun comes out, people become stupid.

charon
06-22-2004, 07:24 PM
That sucks, but at least she left a note. A guy I work with had someone back over his kawi in the parking garage and take off with no note or anything. They did about 2,000$ of damage. People are morons and oblivious more often than I like to think.

DRS
06-22-2004, 09:17 PM
I hope she will cover your deductable as well.
Sheesh - bad couple of days :(

my deductable? ha, there is no way i'm paying the deductable.. she will.....
yeah, this has been a crazy week for bikes......

Dave R
06-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Dannny, make sure it goes on her insurance and not yours.. she is covered for that or else she pays $$. Your company shouldn't have to pay a dime.. nor you

Jim is Cool
06-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Dave's right on about the $$.

It does suck, but you have to admit that she was decent enough to own up to it. Sad to say it as it "SHOULD" be expected, but more often than not, people just don't take responsibility..........stopping now before I go on a tangent!

DJS
06-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Ok me and my buddy Keith almost got taken out by a Chrysler T&C minivan. We were riding in the slow lane past the zoo, headed southbound, and she pulled out and stopped to look to see if any CARS were coming. She came to a dead stop looked again and pulled smack dab in front of us. When she finished her maneuver I was a foot away from her rear bumper, Keith swerved to the outside and rode the shoulder. She did not even know we were behind her till I passed her at one foot to her side and Keith on the right

quasi_d
06-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Ok me and my buddy Keith almost got taken out by a Chrysler T&C minivan. We were riding in the slow lane past the zoo, headed southbound, and she pulled out and stopped to look to see if any CARS were coming. She came to a dead stop looked again and pulled smack dab in front of us. When she finished her maneuver I was a foot away from her rear bumper, Keith swerved to the outside and rode the shoulder. She did not even know we were behind her till I passed her at one foot to her side and Keith on the right

This type of thing is so maddening...this is how I was almost taken out two years ago. I have no memory of the accident either, just what was told to me (plus I obtained a copy of the police report). The (old lady without insurance and visiting from out of country) minivan driver apparently pulled out onto a 3-lane one way street, and I was in the slow right lane, one block from home, and ran into her and was ejected into the middle lane upon which I did the whole convulsing on the road thing (looking at the diagram of my silhouette/outline on the report is a kinda funny experience). I talked with the cop later and she said the driver actually told her that I was supposed to stop, and she replied, "Uh...no..." and gave her two tickets. Man, I should really sue before that statute of limitations thing runs out. As I can't remember anything of the accident at all I can't even say if I could've done anything better to avoid it. Gargh, this type of behaviour in driving really gets me mad.

DJS
06-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Quasi, that is bad news man. Did you have hospital or were you released the same day? She must have been right on top of you when she pulled in. Damn makes me feel super lucky we were not wasted by the minivan. This summer has been a nice one for many of us and it would be horrible if more of us were taken out.

I was thinking we could organize a rally and get a permit to protest in downtown Seattle. It would be a bike protest simply letting people know we are on the streets and they need to watch out for us. If we had enough people it would make the news.

Anyone know the logistics and feasibility on something like this? Maybe its just a crack pipe fantasy.

lll0228
06-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Dave, if somehow we could pull it together I would definitely come with signs.

Bill Anderson
06-23-2004, 05:22 PM
There is a good article in this month's Motorcycle Consumer News on the hazards SUVs and similar vehicles pose to motorcyclists. Everyone should read it. My close calls this year have been with a van, an SUV, and a pickup.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

quasi_d
06-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Quasi, that is bad news man. Did you have hospital or were you released the same day?...

Was just in the hospital overnight and picked up the next day (apparently drugged up and repeating myself alot :p). Took a bit before I was 100% but a couple months later I was back on the road no worse for the wear.

Shredder, and everyone else, on the other hand I hope they come out okay and keep thier same spirit.

-dj
06-27-2004, 10:34 AM
I usually try to avoid Rants, but I tell ya, the last two weeks have been driving me nutz!

The Dyno Day alone I was nearly taken out 3 times! Once as I'm merging onto I-5 (south) from 520. Ditzy lady on cell phone pulls right up next to me as I'm trying to get out of the left lane and sits there as I run out of road. Finally make enough noise she see's me.

Then, heading onto I-5 after leaving DucSea, another lady in the Express lane onramp swerves at the last second (just before the lanes spilt) right into me. Luckily I saw her and was 'just' able to gun it and slip around. Then some idiot trys to change lanes right into me on the freeway! After a few honks fail, a swift boot to the fender finally got his attention...

There's been a few other times since then. I tell ya, the eastside on a sunny day is definitely not a friendly place for bikes. :mad:

lll0228
06-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Well, I was almost taken out yesterday on my way back from the ride with Sputnik and DarkDuc, too. Some trashy looking kids in an SUV. SIPDE, SIPDE, SIPDE...anticipate any stupid things.

Oh, here is a story from Shredder (recently injured), posted on another forum, food for thought. Since people will need to login to view it, I guess I should just re-post it here, if there is objection I would delete this:

*****message below*****
I was released from the hospital yesterday after being in there for
6 days and a virus has attacked my computer so I have no email right
now. I am, however, able to post on the group so I feel moved to
fill you in on what happened out there. Here goes:

The most interesting thing for me is that I never lost consiousness
during the whole event and suffered absolutely no memory loss so I
can tell you exactly what it was like.

9:00 in the evening and I am riding home from a restuarant going up
East John approaching Group Health Hospital. There is pretty good
traffic going both directions and everybody is doing about 30 MPH.
The are cars in front and behind me and cars back to back going the
other direction as well.

I never saw the car that took a left out of oncoming traffic and
took me out. One second I was riding, and the next I was flying.
This is because a 29 year old woman driving a 1986 Honda Acccord
heading West on East John was behind a larger vehicle and saw what
she thought was a small opening, took a quick left to get on to 14th
ave E. If you look west bound down East John at 9PM on a clear day
you will look into a beautifull yellow sunset which matches the
color of my 999 almost exactly.

I never even hit the brakes. The bike hit her left front quarter
panel and stopped and the front of my helmet struck her windshield
strut and then went through her drivers side window. The foward
momentum and uppward momentum of my body then bent my head down and
my collar bone and rib cage hit the lip of her roof and I skittered
over the top of her car on the top of my helmet and landed face
first, still in my lane.

My Arai Helmet saved my life. The impact face first against the
windshield strut compacted my spine, breaking the c-4, 6 and 8
vertibrae. The face piece of the helmet was chrushed in just enough
to split my lower lip and bash my chin in. The top front left of
the helmet split and my left eyebrow was hit for 15 stitches worth
of contusion.

My left shoulder and collar bone hit the foof line and pushed the
collar bone into the bundle of nerves underneith it, breaking two
ribs and collapsing one lung and rendering my left arm numb,
burning, and basically a dead appendage up to this time (7 days
later) but some feeling is coming back.

My visor was up and lots of glass went into my eyes and face...many
lacerations and my right eyeball is dark red now.

I was trying to crawl off the road when somebody held me down. The
medics were standing in front of Group health and they were there
almost before I stopped sliding. There was a lot of pink froth
coming out of my nose and mouth and I could not breathe. In the
ambulance they inserted a pump to get the blood out and another pump
to get the air in. They injected me with something to paralyze me
yet I remained clear as a bell the whole time. It was very
strange. I could feel a huge kink in the tubes as they went into my
lungs and knew there was no air but could not tell them and it was
scary. Then one guy said " He's still not breathing" and the other
guy yanked out the tubes and said "they were kinked goddamn it, pay
attention..."

I spent seven hours in the emergency room at Harborview where they
fashoned a plaster form fitting my body then used that to build this
brace cage thing which will stay on for three months. I passed all
the memory tests and reflex tests and they said It was amazing that
I was in such good shape after that.

I got morphine after 7 hours. I am no longer afraid of intense
pain. I felt very well looked after the whole time. I cannot say
enough about Harbor View. They released me 6 days later and I am
walking around at times. The nerves leading two my left arm and
right hand are angry or something and those appendages feel like
they are on fire all the time but I can move them now. Sleeping and
bathing are a bitch. My wife Gabrielle has been wonderfull and
selfless in caring for me asking nothing in return other than I stop
all motorcycle activity indefinately, if she is to remain my wife.
I have concurred.

The woman who hit me was drunk and is still in jail pending
vehicular assult charges. She has been miranda-ized and has been
instructed by her public attorney not to say or sign anything. At
this time it is still not known whether or not she has insurance.
As she has commited a felony, the state will pay for my hospital
bills and some work-loss monies.
The state does not pay for 999's and mine was not insured. I can't
see it because it is being held along with her car as evidence.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I would never ever ride
a motorcycle on the street. I would spend all my time and
expendable cash at racetracks learning and racing and going fast. I
have never loved anything more than racing motorcycles on tracks.
Not doing it is going to hurt more than the accident but maybe my
wife and I can come to some mutually rewarding thing where I can
race, but I have a hard time believing that my racing will ever be
rewarding or not worrisome to her after this stupid street accident.

Street riders: BUY MORE BODY ARMOUR. BUY A NEW HELMET EVERY YEAR.
DRESS TO BE RUN OVER AND EXPECT IT.

Torben
06-27-2004, 12:48 PM
I had one yesterday I am still pondering.
I was heading north on I5 just south of mount vernon when out of the corner of my eye, I spy a gold camaro come right in behind me. I look behind and I swear to you he wasn't more than 6-8" from the back of me. I can see in my mirror he's serving around and trying to come up inside me on the soulder of the road. Traffic is moving about 80 MPH. I move over one lane as there's a car in front of me otherwise I would have just ripped away but there was a happy little pack of cagers and I could escape.
So I look over after I changed lanes and he's all up in arms about something. I can see him screaming and making happy hand gestures, so I give one back. This apparently pissed him off even more as he tried to side swipe. Had no choice but to split lanes to get the hell out of the pack. Never saw camaro boy again but I sure wish I had :D
I think from now on I'm going to start carrying around little chips of ceramic with me and fling em at windows of drivers like that.
Still pondering what his issue was . . . :confused:

Squidley
06-27-2004, 04:09 PM
I was parked at Sully's Snowgoose in December with all my winter gear piled up on the barstool next to me, the woman on my other side left and wacked my bike over with her car (hard enough to dent both sides of the tank and more). When I flew outside, She was in her car trying to drive away, First claiming she didnt think there was any damage, then that she didn't know the bike was mine (there's so many motorcyclists out in December). I never went back to Sully's...

DJS
06-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Oh man, that story about poor Shredder sucks bad. I hope we see him at the track next year. For me I try not to be adversarial with cars and SUV's. They will always win regardless if we are in the right. I have had people ride up on my ass in their cars. People swerve into my lane and people who want to race but it all comes down to not being worth it. I too have spent two weeks in hospital for a compressed spine and now have permanent steel rods in my back so I can tell you I REALLY don’t want to be there again. My injury was self inflicted, ski accident, but I can only imagine a motorcycle accident that would cause what Shredder has is far more traumatizing and scary. Not worth it to me.

lll0228
06-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Here's a real world story, let's hope it would give you a laugh or some relief...but do note the last two lines... I agree with DJS, just stay calm and get away. Your goal, as always, is to get to your destination in one-piece standing up.

*** Lanesplitting Real World Story ***
- Clothes-line experience #1: This happened to a motorcyclist in Silicon Valley. He was lane-splitting and a pick-up truck clothes-lined him. The rider was not badly hurt, as he was able to get up, brush himself off and pick up his bike. He managed to re-locate his bike away from the pick-up truck, keep the engine running while it was on the side-stand, and proceeded to exact revenge. He climbed atop the offending vehicle and proceeded to jump up and down on the top of the cab. He jumped off and took off on his bike. The onlookers in the other cars cheered him. Exacting revenge is not recommended. The "lane-splitter" haters may be packing heat or have other weapons with which they may defend themselves.

DJS
06-28-2004, 11:02 AM
Oh man the imagery of that is hilarious. The pickup truck guy must have been shatting himself while this guy is jumping all over his truck. What is the deal with that anyway? Why does it make people mad when bikes split lane in a state where it is legal? When me a a bunch of other friends rode down to Laguna for WSBK we split the lanes and we had several instances where people purposely weaved out to prevent us from going through. Big whoop, so a few motorcycles get through traffic faster than YOU in your damn car! Buy a bike if it makes you that mad and split the lane too.

Anyway, I would have loved to see that. I would have been rolling. And if the cops asked me if I saw something I would tell them ya...the guy in the pickup close lined a motorcyclist and that’s ALL I saw. Wink wink. :p

-dj
06-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Yep, that's quite the problem in and around LA. At least, it used to be. I haven't ridden down that way for a few years...

I always just kept going. People either yank their arms back in real quick or get a big *smack* on the forearm from my helmet. :D Guess I was never splitting fast enough to get knocked off.

I've also had people pull over to try and block the way with thier cars, or worse, open their doors! A few people lost rear view mirrors from my boots that way.. :rolleyes:

A buddy of mine even started to ride with a little video cam on his tank, just in case.