PDA

View Full Version : Track Day Riding Instruction - reccomendations and reviews

TCS
06-08-2015, 04:07 PM
We have lots of discussions on when track days are happening, the best bikes, and what to bring, but I couldn't find one where we've discussed options for receiving instruction. Not all days have it available, and some are better than others.

Where have you received instruction and what are your thoughts?

It will come to no surprise to those who ride with me that I've only had one track day that included instruction. :rolleyes: I attended Mike Sullivan's course as new rider with about 5k miles under my tires. Although I don't have another personal experience to compare to, I did learn a great deal and recommend his tutelage. Not sure if he's still teaching or not though.

gregc
06-08-2015, 04:14 PM
We have lots of discussions on when track days are happening, the best bikes, and what to bring, but I couldn't find one where we've discussed options for receiving instruction. Not all days have it available, and some are better than others.

It will come to no surprise to those who ride with me that I've only had one track day that included instruction. :rolleyes: I attended Mike Sullivan's course as new rider with about 5k miles under my tires. Although I don't have another personal experience to compare to, I did learn a great deal and recommend his tutelage. Not sure if he's still teaching or not though.

Mike is teaching on a private basis only. IE, you can hire him to be your personal coach and ride with any track org. You pay Mike for the coaching and the track org for the track time.

martys
06-08-2015, 04:29 PM

Look for the Keith Code school, you will learn more than you can imagine. I know they were coming up here this summer, not sure if they came and went already or not. It's spendy, but well worth the close attention you get.

Looks like they'll be here in July. Here's the thread from earlier this year talking about it - http://www.desmonorthwest.com/forums/showthread.php?15530-Keith-Code-Superbike-school-at-the-Ridge&highlight=keith+code

Jeremy
06-08-2015, 04:42 PM
I've found that when doing a class, like Sullivans or 2-Fast, it depends on who you get. I've done classes with instruction, I think one from each, one of which was the WMRRA new racer school (through Sullivan). One was very useful, and the other wasn't all that useful. It just depended on the instructor that was paired with my group.

I also did a 1/2 day of private instruction with a Kiegwins instructor at Miller. We were going for 2 days, so I emailed Lance and asked if he had a fast control rider that I could pay for 1/2 day. He hooked me up with Steve Metz, who ended up winning the AFM #5 plate that season. It was very useful, and I still work on what he showed me. I think I paid him $250...it was a deal. Convincing a fast local racer to help you out is always an option IMO. You may not get all of the glitz, but all of the small cameras allow videos to be taken easily, and good advice can be had for pretty cheap.

I've never done any of the big schools, like Code/Yamaha Champions/Rickdiculous, but would like to. Hard to justify the cost though, unless they're at a local track, and then it isn't too bad.

ewok1
06-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Mike is teaching on a private basis only. IE, you can hire him to be your personal coach and ride with any track org. You pay Mike for the coaching and the track org for the track time.

I agree with Jeremy's observations.

But I love Sully. Just don't agree to go golfing with him afterword.

cordially
ed

sorry we didn't make it to race. i guess we are done. no interest at all. or not enough to get a bike on the track.

Rich Quarre
06-08-2015, 05:55 PM
I did a 2Fast Level 1 day when I first started. It was very worth while and good for my basic knowledge and track confidence. The class room stuff was OK, but the on-track instruction was great and always positive. It was a full and busy day. I'd recommended it to new track riders.

I also did a Sully NRS school a few years back. Yep, even got the certificate. It was also very good. I had a great instructor and it turned out to be a partially wet day, so I picked up a lot of really good poop. That instructor is an active racer and currently working for 2Fast. Great guy, who I still enjoy riding with occasionally at the track.

I'm sure the other national traveling schools are all fantastic, but like others have said its a bit tough to justify the cost for most track day riders who are looking to just have fun.

ducati
06-08-2015, 07:04 PM

I remember meeting you last year at Rich's XXX meeting/gathering. Do you remember me? :)

At any rate, I distinctly remember how energetic and eager you sounded when you talked about going to the track again. (I also remember at the time, you told me you had only been just once.

At your level, (and that level wasn't too far off where I was/am) I honestly think the best thing you can do is keep going to trackdays, and do 1 of two things:

1) Take Mark Degross's 2 fast instruction school.

2) Try and find Sean Galt. I think your personality would mesh well with Sean's. Sean has become a very good friend of mine. You see, he was basically my unofficial race mentor, last year. Is he super fast? Nah....not Degross, Sully, or Sutton fast. But he's certainly faster than I am. In fact, he's faster on his Ninjette 250, than I ever was on my 1198SP. And that's no lie. You'll see him at the 2fast days with three different bikes. A KTM 390 (I think he'd be the only one with that bike. At least for now), a Moriwaki 175, and a Yami R6. I've learned more from him last year racing, than I ever learned from anyone else, outside of Mark Degross himself. Those two guys have personally showed me the ropes, and I'm ever so grateful.
They're both incredibly inspiring to me. And you know what? They'll do it for anyone. They're THAT friendly. As Mark would say, 'Iron sharpens iron".

If Degross is too busy, LOOK for Sean Galt. Tell him Jimmie sent you, from the Ducati forum. He'll know exactly who you're talking about.

The classes and stuff are very helpful, but they are expensive. And for someone who's only had a couple trackdays under his belt, I'd start with the basics of getting one of the local racers to follow you around for more than just one or two sessions. Once you get comfortable and faster, then I'd recommend the faster schools-investment (ie: 200 level) Once you've hit 200 level, take as many classes as you can.

Good luck to ya.

ducati
06-08-2015, 07:14 PM

Quite easily the best scenario, period. But only if he could afford it. That option sounds expensive. But, if TCS is willing to ante up, this by far would be the most helpful. To get 1-1 instruction around the track the whole day with Sully, would be magnificent. If I could've done it all over again, Greg, I would've done exactly this.

gregc
06-09-2015, 11:25 AM
sorry we didn't make it to race. i guess we are done. no interest at all. or not enough to get a bike on the track.

Just get over here for a WMrrA weekend. I've got a bike you can ride/race and I promise to install the front brake pads correctly!

Serious offer, you do so much for WMrrA it's the least I can do as a genuine THANK YOU!

:walkingdog::walkingdog::walkingdog: :walkingdog::walkingdog::walkingdog: :walkingdog::walkingdog::walkingdog: :walkingdog::walkingdog::walkingdog:

steve_d
06-10-2015, 08:33 AM

While I'm no longer an unbiased voice on this subject as I now work with 2Fast I have enough experience that I feel I should share.

Over the past 3 years I've taken Mike Sullivan's course, MotoFit's course, OPRT's course, and the 2Fast Performance School with Mark DeGross.

The basic content of all of the classes is very similar--and in most cases it was sound. One of the reasons I work with 2Fast is I felt that overall Mark did the best job, but I thought the OPRT and Mike Sullivan class sessions were ok too.

The on track instruction is what tends to vary the most with all of the active organizations depending on the day you go, how many students are in the class and who end up with--while I'm partial to 2Fast I think that OPRT does a pretty good job too.

I also have a VERY good impression of the class MotoCorsa (Portland) offers with their track days at PIR--and the support they provide the students throughout the day.

And I really like the folks with PSSR but I have not attended their class or spoken with anyone who has.

My recommendation would be that you take a class with 2Fast, OPRT or MotoCorsa and then consider following that up by hiring Mike Sullivan or another instructor for one-on-one work for a day.

I would also consider doing the class on a track day on a Monday. They tend to be less heavily attended--and it can increase both the amount of individual attention you get and your comfort level on the track with fewer riders.

Guiseppe
06-11-2015, 03:54 PM
As the perpetual Group 100 rider maybe I have a perspective that will be helpful.

Yes, as a first step take any of the track day training classes.

Then get out and just start doing more track days.

I ride for the fun of it, because it forces me to be in better shape then I would if I was only a couch potato and because it's fun. I have no ambition to be fast(est).

So maybe the best advice I got from an instructors was 'let the speed find you'.

A class will teach you good lines, body position and talk about things you will need to develop to be a better rider, on the track and street, but not until you start riding on the track will you develop those skills. Your lines will get better, your vision and awareness will get better, you will start accelerating sooner and harder, your corner entry speed will go up, you will start trail braking - and the speed will find you. Out on the track.

(And then later when things start coming together a class may be helpful again.)

But be careful. It is addictive. So come on out and join us, this is a great group of track riders who have the addiction and are always willing to a share their knowledge and experience.

I would bet that in no time at all you'll leave me behind in the 100 Group.