PDA

View Full Version : Nesba 8/15

martino
08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
First time. Intro: some talk time + 2 X 20mins sessions with beginners
Absolutely great experience. Superb organization.
We were told that first few sessions will be slow and that at those speeds there will be no corners we would not be able to fit in - "just drop it more" was the suggestion. Well, the speed seemed cosmic. The corners were great: small radius, huge radius, shorter ones and never-ending ones. A lot of left-handers (this is my side :happy44:). Front and rear tires are nicely scratched and burned on left side but not all the way to the edge (I guess there was no reason to sh... my pants :eek:)
A bit of fear in my eyes at first but smile on my face 100% of the time. Control riders showed us some fancy lines and we were able to see when they were speeding up and slowing down. This all helped a lot.
Great place to practice.
See you all on 17th or 18th (do we have a day preference?).

P.S. I guess the NESBA guys were right with the low speed. What seemed like a warp speed from the bike was realy a turtle-walk from the stands. This is perfect: you can have 150 mph fun riding at 50mph levels :happy57:.

Gman
08-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Ditto on martino's post !

Great fun and great conditions. I hope the guys that stayed for the afternoon as well had plenty of H2O ! Those corners look so different from the bike... rather than from the corner working shack !

G

Roadstergal
08-15-2005, 04:51 PM
My 2nd bike day at PR. It was a hoot, and I really feel like I rode 10x better than I did the first time I was out. Unfortunately, I had to leave early due to the heat; I didn't have other clothes to wear between sessions, and I discovered the drawback of a one-piece; no ability to take off just the jacket. Despite drinking loads of water, I overheated. I left after 4 sessions, when I felt like my mind was no longer focused sufficiently on the task of riding.

I can't wait for September, and I'll bring some clothes to wear between sessions so I can stay for longer. I also need to get new tires; the stockers on the SV are getting a little shredded.

I have some pics that I'll post once they're organized. Crappy point-and-shoot rather than nifty SLR pics, but better than nothing. :) NESBA, as before, put on a well-organized and fun day.

Eddy
08-15-2005, 05:23 PM
dude i'm so tired and cramped up. I must have drank a gallon of water today. The heat was no joke especially as the day wore on, NOW the canopy makes a whole lotta sense. Had a blast. Great learning experience and just like Portland the week before the Control Riders were rock stars. I could feel the learning curve accelerate as each session went by, following their lines was extremely helpful. It was great seeing you guys/gals out, everyone looked like they had a great time. Only damper was Andy(UKduc) going down in the afternoon session on T4. Bike looked really bad but he seemed ok. I came w/ a separate group and one of our guys went down as well on that same turn, he's alright also. Fun times, look forward to Sept.

*Greg, you were right, 18 to I5...straightshot home :)

UKDuc
08-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Only damper was Andy(UKduc) going down in the afternoon session on T4. Bike looked really bad but he seemed ok. I came w/ a separate group and one of our guys went down as well on that same turn, he's alright also. Fun times, look forward to Sept.

*Greg, you were right, 18 to I5...straightshot home :)

Was a good time - just three days in a row for me and I think I wasn't leaning enough on turn 2 probably because I was so tired, and came in hot with tires that may not hav ebeen scrubbed in as much as I thought. I'm fine - Bike is a mess, but will be back together for Spokane on September 3rd. Was great to hang out with the Desmo folk as always - was worth the heat and the dented bike :)

Jeremy
08-15-2005, 06:27 PM
I agree with everyone...great time! It was my first trackday (just 2 sessions intro) but definently not my last. Good to talk with everyone and looking forward to September!

Torben
08-15-2005, 08:03 PM
It was indeed a blast - it was great to see so many Ducs out there today :D
Sorry about the offroad excursion Andy - hope all works out well.
Now I just need to work on those lap times - Bill knows what I'm talking about :o

Roadstergal
08-15-2005, 08:59 PM
I have some pics that I'll post once they're organized. Crappy point-and-shoot rather than nifty SLR pics, but better than nothing. :)

http://www.roadstergal.info/8_15_05/

My friend Carl took the pics I appear in; I took the pics I don't appear in.

UKDuc
08-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Urghhhh - just assessed the damage - Leathers are scuffed heavily and split in places, both boots damaged, bike........well it needs a tank, subframe, rearset, fairing stay, rear cowl, repair to front fairings, clutch lever bracket, and probably a few other bits and pieces. Anyone know of an R6 (99) full of parts let me know :) Otherwise I am thinking that maybe it is time to upgrade (maybe I'll look after the next bike better!).

martino
08-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Andy,
We are all glad you are all in one piece and keeping your cheen up. Keep it up buddy!!!
You might have ran into this R6 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4568275253&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT) earlier. It is its second listing or so, I believe, and no parties have been interested. Maybe the guy will swap it for the to-be-numero-uno racer memorabilia.
Cheers!

Urghhhh - just assessed the damage - Leathers are scuffed heavily and split in places, both boots damaged, bike........well it needs a tank, subframe, rearset, fairing stay, rear cowl, repair to front fairings, clutch lever bracket, and probably a few other bits and pieces. Anyone know of an R6 (99) full of parts let me know :) Otherwise I am thinking that maybe it is time to upgrade (maybe I'll look after the next bike better!).

UKDuc
08-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Andy,
We are all glad you are all in one piece and keeping your cheen up. Keep it up buddy!!!
You might have ran into this R6 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4568275253&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT) earlier. It is its second listing or so, I believe, and no parties have been interested. Maybe the guy will swap it for the to-be-numero-uno racer memorabilia.
Cheers!

Thanks Ian! I actually just took a look at that - seems like a pretty good deal, I just have to figure out if I should repair this bike or buy another similar and have this for parts, OR buy the bike that I would want to race once I graduate novice. These R6s are great track bikes, but mine would not be too competative. Bill got a great deal on his trackbike, and if I could get a 600 or 750 with the sort of prep his has, I am sure I would seriously consider it!

Glad you liked the track BTW - was great to see so many people from the club at the event - makes for a really great atmosphere in the pits.

martino
08-15-2005, 11:07 PM
My pleasure.

BTW. The racer-girl who did the radio work on our (T5) yestarday has 2 GSX-Rs 600. She mentioned that all the engine mods thay need to do to stay competitive are weakening the engine reliability and therefore she already needs to ex her 2003's GXR-S's engine. She actually was considering selling that bike and converting the BFN one to the race. She also mentioned that it's not too hard to get good engines out there (seems like some people kill the engines and others kill the parts holding the engines :happy44:)

BTW, if you'll see a used 748/749 for less then $3,500 :happy64: let me know. If I go down on the track I want to do it in style (plus I need to have similar bike too Torben's so he cannot tell me I overtake him due my Monster's better turning :happy57:).

Gman
08-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Wendy was her name. She is a WRRMA racer as well, so Andy you may know her ?

Good luck in the repairs / replacement.

Gman

Apostate
08-16-2005, 07:49 AM
I hate to see riders go down but at least no one was seriously injured. Good luck with the repairs, Andy!

Otherwise, it was a great outing. Thanks for the suspension help Bill! And thanks to everyone for the company!

lll0228
08-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Drooling over here just reading these. :happy44:

I better put my bike back in track-ready shape and join you in September.

lindsay
08-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Urghhhh - just assessed the damage - Leathers are scuffed heavily and split in places, both boots damaged, bike........well it needs a tank, subframe, rearset, fairing stay, rear cowl, repair to front fairings, clutch lever bracket, and probably a few other bits and pieces. Anyone know of an R6 (99) full of parts let me know :) Otherwise I am thinking that maybe it is time to upgrade (maybe I'll look after the next bike better!). dude that sucks! glad you're OK though. don't give up on the bike just yet -- they tend to be easier to repair than they seem. i'd say fix it up for novice year and then think about an upgrade.

you looked great out there on sunday when i was cornerworking. you look through the turns at 3 and 4 more than anyone else i saw.

lindsay

UKDuc
08-16-2005, 02:05 PM
dude that sucks! glad you're OK though. don't give up on the bike just yet -- they tend to be easier to repair than they seem. i'd say fix it up for novice year and then think about an upgrade.

you looked great out there on sunday when i was cornerworking. you look through the turns at 3 and 4 more than anyone else i saw.

lindsay

Thanks Lindsay - I defnitely plan to work some corners as soon as possible to get a better view of how experienced riders like yourself take some of the bends that I am not sure I have down yet. Exhaustion, heat and that shifter problem really slowed down the learning over the weekend, but I was starting to turn some respectable times with Bill and Dave yesterday (not that I saw much of "tire warmers" dave ;)). They both were totally tearing up the tarmac! I think my best choice is to rebuild the bike - just have to get hold of the parts at the right price!

lindsay
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
just have to get hold of the parts at the right price!ebay, baby! (you can try the WMRRA mail list too.)

lindsay

reznor999
08-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Andy, sorry about the mishap. It was a fun day your incident excluded. It was nice to meet more of the club members at the track. It always makes for a great day when there are good people to hang around with. Well, until Dave ran over my foot with his trailer as he left. He just had to get in one more shot! Next time we'll hide his tire warmers when he's not around.

BB

DJS
08-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Well you know I had to get you back for blocking me down into 3 which you admitted to doing on purpose. That's just plain mean man! Till September, I imagine I will have to pay for running over you. :p

Andy you going to be ready by then? Being bumped to "A" was pretty cool to.

UKDuc
08-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Well you know I had to get you back for blocking me down into 3 which you admitted to doing on purpose. That's just plain mean man! Till September, I imagine I will have to pay for running over you. :p

Andy you going to be ready by then? Being bumped to "A" was pretty cool to.

"A" was a great group on the day - I did some fun lapping with a number of guys who were more my pace. Not sure what that group would be like before a race weekend, but now I have my times down a bit I am pretty sure I am not holding anyone up enough to be irritating. 1:42 was my best on the day - right before lunch on those old tires. I know my gearing is totally wrong for that track - only getting in to fifth at turn 1 at 160 mph and never touching 6th is barmy. I will take the instructor's advice and go up from the 47 tooth sprocket to a 50 tooth - should get much better drive out of the corners that should be second gear - no changing in to first for the bus stop or turn 4!

I am pricing up the damage for the bike and I reckon I could rapair it for around $600-700 at ebay prices. Just have to become amember and get on it - time is short though - not sure if I can wait for an auction to end and delivery!

Bafazane
08-16-2005, 07:36 PM
I can't say my day was great, but it was sure nice to be down hanging out with cool people and their bikes at the track. I think I could sum up the entire day as one big brain fart. :( Bill thanks again for letting me use those tools. Hopefully my next few track days will continue the theme I had before yesterday, i.e. no crashing. Nice to see those Ducs out there! By the way, does anybody have a spare shift lever for a 748?

reznor999
08-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I can't say my day was great, but it was sure nice to be down hanging out with cool people and their bikes at the track. I think I could sum up the entire day as one big brain fart. :( Bill thanks again for letting me use those tools. Hopefully my next few track days will continue the theme I had before yesterday, i.e. no crashing. Nice to see those Ducs out there! By the way, does anybody have a spare shift lever for a 748?

You're welcome for the use of the tools. You didn't crash did you? I hope the need for a shift lever is due to something else.

Bones
08-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Forgot to put the pictures on my laptop to find a goodie for you all, but damn I have a shot of DJS that I am glad I got and I am glad he held that line...talk about looking down the barrel (Turn 7 head on shot from behind the end of the airwall)

Bafazane
08-17-2005, 02:16 AM
Oh yeah, I got tired in turn 4 and decided to have lie a down.

reznor999
08-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Oh yeah, I got tired in turn 4 and decided to have lie a down.

Sorry to hear that. I didn't realize it had happened.

BB

DJS
08-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Oh man Bones!!! Looking forward to supporting your habit! What's your cost for a CD!?

Thanks for shooting all of us!