PDA

View Full Version : superbike service?

748 Flo
08-27-2005, 02:06 PM
So my bike is coming up on it's 6k service way too soon here. I am wondering what else needs to be done besides fluids and valve adjust. I found instructions on the valves online and it doesn't look like something I can't do. I just have a hard time paying someone $800 to do just a oil change and a valve adjustment.

lll0228
08-27-2005, 03:46 PM
I found instructions on the valves online and it doesn't look like something I can't do. I just have a hard time paying someone $800 to do just a oil change and a valve adjustment.
There is a chart in your owner's manual that has all the things that need to be checked at 6k. The valve adjustment is just about the trickiest part, and if you can handle that and have all the special tools required to do that, I don't see why you shouldn't do it yourself.

748 Flo
08-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Speaking of owners manual, I need to find that thing. The guy gave me two red books with the bike which I have since misplaced...

foggy123
08-27-2005, 04:20 PM
http://www.section8superbike.com/servicedetails.php#6000

Plus they have a great price list of service items and mods. just to get an idea what things might cost locally.

http://www.section8superbike.com/pricing.php

cyber3d
08-27-2005, 11:50 PM
IMO, if you have a used bike (nothin' wrong with that BTW), you would be wise to cough up the dough and have it serviced by experienced mechanic. You have plenty of time to "learn" before you burn.

Victor

Eric
08-29-2005, 03:04 AM
It is a costly service but I would recomend taking it in. The "used" factor being one reason. If it's still in warrenty you might break it doing the 6k yourself, and I can't remember but flakey rockers might be an issue with the '01 748. I have an '02 748s and it's nice to have that slip of paper from Ducati that lists all my valve clearence and conditions for my peice of mind and since I'm trying to sell it, it looks good to the buyers. This is all my 2 cents though. Good luck.

91aztec
08-29-2005, 08:33 AM
It is a costly service but I would recomend taking it in. The "used" factor being one reason. If it's still in warrenty you might break it doing the 6k yourself, and I can't remember but flakey rockers might be an issue with the '01 748. I have an '02 748s and it's nice to have that slip of paper from Ducati that lists all my valve clearence and conditions for my peice of mind and since I'm trying to sell it, it looks good to the buyers. This is all my 2 cents though. Good luck.

I would concur on the service being done at a Ducati shop. I have an 01 748 and when I took it in for the 6000 mile service my rockers were bad and needed to be replaced. From what I understand it was a factory recall from Ducati and they replaced them as they came in. I wasn't charged for the rockers just the installation.

Pay the money and have them go over the entire bike. Tough to put a price on piece of mind when you buy a used bike and aren't sure of the history.

foggy123
08-29-2005, 09:48 AM
If you think you can do it yourself, Try checking them without changing anything. The worse that can happen is that you button the thing back up and take it in. Afterward, ask to see the dealers measurements compared to yours. the best is you find everything is spec and you ride for 6k.
As far as flaking rockers, dealers have to pull the cams to check the rockers. I'm pretty sure not all dealers are doing this on a 6k service so be careful.

748 Flo
08-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I'll take it into someone for the first service.