PDA

View Full Version : should you get to choose what get's fixed?

DRS
06-25-2004, 10:23 AM
PLEASE VOTE ABOVE IF YOU'RE JUST PASSING THROUGH....

say someone hits your bike with there car; it's there fault and they plan on paying for the damages. you get an estimate of everything that was damaged in the accident. the question is, if i want to say, live with a cracked or scratched nose and tail piece and get a slipper clutch and a lightened flywheel instead, should i feel bad about doing so? please help with my piece of mind. i will most certainly get the cosmetic blems fixed over time but i'd like to take my time so the bike is now out of commision for weeks. ya know...

thanks for passing through.

Torben
06-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Depends on the shop you go to. Some will take the total amount the insurance company gives them as an allocation and then may do certain work specified by you. Some won't. Depends.
If you're worried about the ethics - don't. It happens all the time imho and there's nothing that says that what was broken must be repaired using the money from the claim nor is there anything that says that the claim money can't be used for things not damaged as far as I'm aware

DRS
06-25-2004, 10:43 AM
13 Views And Only One Vote. Hello, You're Not Helping....

TDAdams
06-25-2004, 10:53 AM
If I was in your position, I probably would live with the cosmetic damage and put the money into the mechanical mods you clearly want.

One thing to keep in mind however is resale value. Someday you may want to trade your bike in or sell it (did someone say "Desmocedici" for the masses...?). When that day comes, you'll take a big hit on resale value if the cosmetics aren't good.

DJS
06-25-2004, 11:11 AM
I personally would fix it. It would drive me crazy to see my Ducati with crappy looking scratches all over it. Slippery slope if you ask me. If you can live with one or a few scratches what’s next?

DRS
06-25-2004, 11:34 AM
I personally would fix it. It would drive me crazy to see my Ducati with crappy looking scratches all over it. Slippery slope if you ask me. If you can live with one or a few scratches what’s next?

i could gradually fix the cosmetic stuff where i could have a slipper clutch right away. i doubt it would be more easy to find a used slipper clutch than it would be to find a nose and tail piece in good condtion and have them painted.

DJS
06-25-2004, 11:41 AM
That is true. Why do you want a slipper clutch? I know the purpose behind them and would like to have one on my race bike but does your riding style dictate one for the street? If so go for it. What current mods do you have?

Bong
06-25-2004, 11:49 AM
If you have your mind set on a slipper clutch - go for it. The way I see it you now have track fairings you don't have to worry about scratching anymore. That model sbk has tons of parts available on the used market should you want to try and put it back to pristine condition.

Btw, did you see the clause on the paperwork you signed that allows the previous owner to ride your 996 should you ever take it on the track!!!!

CINDESMO
06-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Bong - We were going to spring that on him after we got him out to the track. Now you've scared him off and he probably will never do a track day. :D

DJS
06-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Ahhh, Bong was this your bike previously. I'm thinking so. Good point about the track plastic since we are having a Duc only day.

DRS
06-25-2004, 02:47 PM
If you have your mind set on a slipper clutch - go for it. The way I see it you now have track fairings you don't have to worry about scratching anymore. That model sbk has tons of parts available on the used market should you want to try and put it back to pristine condition.

Btw, did you see the clause on the paperwork you signed that allows the previous owner to ride your 996 should you ever take it on the track!!!!

yeah, i saw that but i omitted it from the final contract... :D however, if you should choose to show up to my track days i would be more than happy to let you take your old bike out for a spin; just don't scratch it focker.... :mad: i'm planning on 1 or 2 days in july, the 9th and the 23rd or the 28th i think, not positive, and 1 for sure on august 18th, my b-day..

Bong
06-25-2004, 02:58 PM
however, if you should choose to show up to my track days i would be more than happy to let you take your old bike out for a spin; just don't scratch it focker.... :mad: i'm planning on 1 or 2 days in july, the 9th and the 23rd or the 28th i think, not positive, and 1 for sure on august 18th, my b-day..

That's nice of you Danny! It's going to be fun out there on the Multi at our Duc only tradkday on 9-17. Who's trackday is 8-18?

phildo
06-25-2004, 03:32 PM
I agree, I certainly see no ethical delima here. It was your property that was damaged, it's up to you how you spend the compensation for that damage. Assuming the bike has a clear title.

DRS
06-25-2004, 03:39 PM
title is not completely clear but its not like i'm not going to put all of the money into the bike.

DRS
06-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Who's trackday is 8-18?

2fast i believe.

jayguy
06-25-2004, 04:36 PM
I would do what you wanted to do. If there were some repairs cosmetically you could live with, take the money from that for the upgrades. I've lived with some tank scratches on my bike for years, and usually only I notice them. Of course, I've started to think about trying to repaint the tank and rear seat cowl myself, just to learn how to do it, but that's another story.

As was previously stated, it's your bike, you should be able to get what you want fixed or use the money how you want to.

DRS
06-25-2004, 05:02 PM
yeah, i was planning on doing some of the work myself and over a period of time so my frickin bike isn't sitting in the shop for the next month. this frickin sucks.....

mike
06-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Easy answer on my part - do what makes you feel good. Want a pristine bike? Start with the scratched parts and get it all in perfect (OEM) shape. Want cool mods and you're ok with scratches? Fine...