PDA

View Full Version : 2 Funny Duc Stories

Squidley
06-28-2004, 04:46 AM
I find myself in Ellensburg havin a snack, and come out to find 2 old guys chattin over my bike and it's tires (Michiline Pilot Sports). I had already had someone assume it was a Japanese bike when I pulled up so I knew I was in the outback. These guys had obviously knew each other 30 or 40 years and had been telling stories fer awhile... "Yeah, I saw these bikes on the discovery channel and they race 'em in the sand out in the desert...

Okay, 2nd story, I'm bored with drinkin' beer with my buddies and decide to take a day ride, I pull into this town in Northern Ca. and theres somekind of Harley convention going on there. In No.Ca the Harleys are still really snotty.

So I pull up and these Harleys pull up and park around me. Now I'm a curvey gal and I'm dressed in full leather, So I look like a marvel comic book cover, but the Harley's can't acknowledge me 'cause it's against their code. All a sudden this group of 5 young kids comes up and starts raving about my bike and how that's what they want to have. The Harley riders stiffen noticably and walk off...

Pretty funny but maybe you had to be there...

DJS
06-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Really I try to be open minded about all kinds of bikes but I just don’t get the HD cruiser thing. I know people are going to say it’s a lifestyle thing or image things but really? Twist the throttle...it makes all that noise...and nothing!!! It only goes 2 mph faster than before the noise. And what's the deal with them not waving back to me on the hwy? I always try and wave and they mostly never wave back. Guess they are too busy looking cool. Well at least most of them. At least they are on two wheel and not four.

After watching Bike Week on TV I would have to say if I was forced to get a cruiser it would have to be one of those nice custom choppers.

phildo
06-28-2004, 01:19 PM
They didn't acknowledge a hotie on a Decati??
Curvy female in full leathers! sure you didn't get in the middle of a "rainbow" ride??
...want to ride sometime?;-)

Holeshot
06-28-2004, 01:50 PM
....And what's the deal with them not waving back to me on the hwy? I always try and wave and they mostly never wave back. Guess they are too busy looking cool. Well at least most of them. At least they are on two wheel and not four.

If you were riding one of those wrecks, would you take a hand off the bars to do anything?
:eek:

DJS
06-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Hell no way would I let go of the grips!!! I wouldn’t want to go off into the bushes or anything HA HA. Those choppers look very unstable and I can’t believe those guys were one handing it in some of the footage. But then again, they probably think sportbikes are uncomfortable.

mursduc
06-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Nice jab Holeshot :) but up around the Whidbey area they are pretty nice and usually wave. most of them are either pretty senior (nice way to say old) or military though. wonder what the deal is. :confused:

mursduc
06-28-2004, 11:41 PM
oh and by the way Squidley, i ALWAYS acknowledge a hottie on any kind of bike, but the ones on Ducs, i blow them kisses ;)

Holeshot
06-29-2004, 08:31 AM
Nice jab Holeshot :) but up around the Whidbey area they are pretty nice and usually wave. most of them are either pretty senior (nice way to say old) or military though. wonder what the deal is. :confused:

Yeah.. I like to toss those out there form time to time. Actually.. this the most Hardly Rider waving place I've ever ridden. I'm actually shocked when on the rear occasion they are either not waving back or not initiating the wave!

CINDESMO
06-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Interesting post! Choppers (or anything with a long wheelbase, like drag bikes) tend to be more stable not less. They don't corner. I personally find that Goldwing riders don't wave...or any male 40-55 that has a really big fairing. Hmmm... Last Saturday morning I rode the motard down Aurora and passed three bikes - none of them returned my wave. They all were mid eighties standards. I think that a lot of bikers lack peripheral vision and/or are afraid to lift their arm. It doesn't take many times on the track to learn to raise your arm and wave it around! You'll get run over if you don't when you are exiting or slowing down. Maybe we should do a chopper track day!

DJS
06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
A chopper only track day ? Hmmm... I think that would be fun to watch and I would go see it. I wonder how many bikes would go down in the bus stop? :p

Curt999
06-29-2004, 09:36 AM
I have to agree that Washington in general is one of the more Harley friendly places Ive been. I find it's on the rare occasion that they actually don't wave. Now wingers, as Cindy stated, have to be the biggest bunch of non- waving two wheel yaht driving motorcycle snobs on the planet. Those guys/gals just don't seem to get it...

Interesting post! Choppers (or anything with a long wheelbase, like drag bikes) tend to be more stable not less. They don't corner. I personally find that Goldwing riders don't wave...or any male 40-55 that has a really big fairing. Hmmm... Last Saturday morning I rode the motard down Aurora and passed three bikes - none of them returned my wave. They all were mid eighties standards. I think that a lot of bikers lack peripheral vision and/or are afraid to lift their arm. It doesn't take many times on the track to learn to raise your arm and wave it around! You'll get run over if you don't when you are exiting or slowing down. Maybe we should do a chopper track day!

mikimoto
06-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Squigley:

Don't mean to start a fire with this - BUT - up here in North Bend (esp on the weekends) there's HD riders up here galore. Since owning my Duc, they don't seem to know what it is and simply don't wave. But when I owned my Ninja, I'd say about 65% of them would flip me the bird. I'm pretty laid back, but insult me about my bike and my temper flares. So I'd always start buzzing them on my bike, and since that Ninja had a full system Muzzy that bike was ear splitting loud and would drown out any Harley. So my point to this, I don't care for Harley Riders.

Miki

Torben
06-29-2004, 11:12 AM
I too have found that the majority of harley riders are snobs. If I don't get a wave back, they get the bird :D I think the goldwing crowd can't have cuz if they take a hand off the bars the whole thing will tip over :p
Of course I've had some guys on sport bikes ignore me as well. But generally speaking there's a big rift between sport bikes and cruisers/choppers/couches for some retarded reason. I've even had some guy wave when he was in his jeep but can I get some love from a guy on a standard? :rolleyes:

DJS
06-29-2004, 11:45 AM
I do find in general it might be an age group and not a bike thing possibly. It seems that the mid to late 40’s crowd on cruiser type and huge touring type bikes don’t wave. Easy to see their faces because they don’t wear full face helmets most often. Or maybe they do wave but the touring type bikes are so big you cant see a black gloved hand behind all that faring? Then there are the bad boy banker (CPA types) who are so caught up with the whole image of looking bad ass they are too cool to wave. I think that’s the one that chaps my ass the most. Ya I know I’m preying on a stereotype but I think we all know what I’m talking about.

The coolest thing I experienced on a group ride was with about 25-30 other sportbikes. We were headed southbound and a Goldwing club, 15+ bikes, was headed northbound. We were going through a super long left hand sweeper and literally I held may hand out for what seemed like forever. All the touring guys did the same and held out their hands, so down the line all you could see were ours and their hands down & out to the side waving to each other.

And maybe its a weekend thing? I find that on my way back from work I wave to other bikes at least 6 times before I get home and half the time the other motorcyclists don’t wave back. Makes me sad.

CINDESMO
06-29-2004, 01:27 PM
You have to wheely and then slam the front around to redirect your bike.

mike
06-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Really I try to be open minded about all kinds of bikes but I just don’t get the HD cruiser thing. I know people are going to say it’s a lifestyle thing or image things but really? Twist the throttle...it makes all that noise...and nothing!!! It only goes 2 mph faster than before the noise.

I admire the f*cking TORQUE those strokers can put out! Old school technology in terms of engine design, but also tried and true technology.

Personally I don't buy into the HD "image" and branding, but I do admire the bikes for their heritage and the "burly" factor.

Someday I hope to build and ride a pushrod Big Twin...in my mind it's about the torque torque torque, not speed.