PDA

View Full Version : New Clutch Suggestions?

rkover1
10-09-2005, 03:31 PM
I have a '93 900SS with 35,000 miles which desperatly needs a new clutch. Anyone out there have a suggestion as to what I should put in it? Aso, what details should I be on the lookout for as the old clutch comes out?

doc
'93 900SS "Phaedrus"
'85 RZ350 "Buzz"

Nathan Reynolds
10-10-2005, 10:30 AM
I have a '93 900SS with 35,000 miles which desperatly needs a new clutch. Anyone out there have a suggestion as to what I should put in it? Aso, what details should I be on the lookout for as the old clutch comes out?

"

I had great success with Barnett carbon fiber clutch plates in my '98 ST2. I've heard Nichols makes the basket you probably want to get. That being said, I don't know shit about mechanical stuff. I make a mean Bloody Ceaser though. Good luck!

jhart24
10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I had great success with Barnett carbon fiber clutch plates in my '98 ST2.

Nathan, its jordan. I am not sure how long it was before I bought your bike that you installed those, but I had to put new clutch plates on about a month after I bought the bike, so like the end of March. PM me sometime. Not trying to sound like a jerk, just curious how long they lasted...

Jim is Cool
10-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Barnett has been good to me.

Look for wear on the basket wher the tabs slide in, it might look a bit jagged, new it's straight and smooth. If it looks bad, you might need to replace the basket. Also look at the grooves on the drum at the same time, same issue.

I just put a barnet basket in the ST, it has the stainless inserts, so it should take care of the basket wear problem.

Also, I believe Barnett has stopped shipping the springs/bolt kits with the clutch pack. SpeedyMoto has a nice set of stainless springs etc so you can run an open clutch and not worry about rust. No matter what, if you change the clutch, change the bolts/springs.

RockStar
10-10-2005, 02:18 PM
I've got a set of Barnett CF plates as well on the Rockstar (748). They are doing fine at 3 months. Jim you're correct Barnett has stopped including the springs and caps with the plates but they aren't too spendy. I put the Speedy Moto stainless springs and anodized caps on however.

rkover1 let me know when you put these in and we can hook up and you can use my nifty clutch hub holder tool. It's simple but indespensible (and expensive) tool. Unless of course your tool box needs one gleaming in the tray like mine did!! lol.

y.

flyingducman
10-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Barnett has been good to me.

I just put a barnet basket in the ST, it has the stainless inserts, so it should take care of the basket wear problem..I too put in the Barnett Basket and enjoyed it for almost 8K miles. At a recent service it was discovered that the steel ring around the outside of the basket had been rubbing ever so slightly against the inside of my SpeedyMoto Arun clutch-cover. There was no noticeable noise over-and-above the normal sounds of a dry Ducati clutch. Nor was there any performance-related problems.

It was soon discovered that you have to be very careful with any of the SpeedyMoto covers AND after-market clutch baskets (don't use it in combination with the Barnett :scared10: ). The cover is made thicker in an area where a stock (or other after-market covers) aren't as thick. It was this area where the contact occured.

Now I'm running a light-weight STM Evoluzione 48-tooth single diaphragm spring clutch assembly that's smooth-as-silk :D .

I've got a set of Barnett CF plates as well on the Rockstar (748). They are doing fine at 3 months.Mine lasted almost 8,000 miles and were replaced at a recent service so I wouldn't need to schedule a service just for that in the near future. They still had life left in them even after 8K.

ducati_nolan
10-10-2005, 10:08 PM
It was soon discovered that you have to be very careful with any of the SpeedyMoto covers AND after-market clutch baskets (don't use it in combination with the Barnett ). The cover is made thicker in an area where a stock (or other after-market covers) aren't as thick. It was this area where the contact occured.

For those of you with this problem, instead of changing the clutch or cover, you could simply make a spacer out of aluminum, thin plastic, gasket material, washers, etc. If you made it the same color as the engine or a dark grey to match the carbon fiber then you wouldn't even notice it and you could still keep your trick carbon fiber goodies :D .