PDA

View Full Version : How not to take left turns on a Monster...

mike
05-26-2004, 09:14 AM
I went for a decent ride Monday, since I had the day off, and felt like putting some miles on the new Monster. Went out around 2pm to hit the usual places we all know so well - Paradise Lake, High Bridge, Ames Lake, etc...traffic was terrible.

On the way home I was turning left to get on 520 from Redmond and while turning I had my left foot under the shifter so I could click up into second as I straightened up. Oh, and of course I was riding in my new tennis shoes. I had the uncomfortable feeling of asphalt tickling the bottom of my foot, and I realized that my toes were dragging but I felt like I was barely leaned over! What really scared me though was that my foot was under the shifter so I couldn't really have moved it without really unsettling the bike and/or my line. And if I had wanted to lean any more (which I probably would have had I not been two-up at the time) I could have crushed some much-loved toes.

I guess it's obvious that the rearsets on my Monster are a *lot* lower than those on my other bikes. Lessons learned - don't corner with foot under shifter, and get ready to drag Monster bits...

Torben
05-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Good lord man! How's the toe? Any decent pictures to show us or did all the meaty parts stay intact?
Good lesson indeed

Tony Lombardo
05-26-2004, 09:27 AM
I too have found out the hard way that Monsters in stock trim, drag all sorts of parts (and body parts) when pushed. I usually hit the "taste of racing" at the lunch breaks on race day with it. It make me wonder how bad it would be on a real track day.

Dave R
05-26-2004, 10:47 AM
first off, please don't ride in tennis shoes !! your feet are way too valueable to not protect. The cornering clearance issues with Monsters are well known. Some potential remidies are.... raise rear ride height, swap out pegs for more rearset type, or reverse your shifter to shift "GP" pattern. Up for first, push down to go fast. That way mid corner you don't have to try and sneak you toe under the shifter, just push down..

Tony Lombardo
05-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Dave,
You left out the best solution. Buy a Superbike.

Dave R
05-26-2004, 12:53 PM
no, no, no, we just sold Mike's Superbike ! There are ways to make the Monster work for sure....

mike
05-26-2004, 01:10 PM
I didn't get hurt or anything, it was just a...teachable moment. Yeah I had a (street) Superbike but I'm finding the Monster more versatile (on the street) given my various riding situations. I'm willing to give up some Superbike performance (on the street) for Monster flexibility.

quasi_d
05-26-2004, 01:43 PM
I didn't get hurt or anything, it was just a...teachable moment. Yeah I had a (street) Superbike but I'm finding the Monster more versatile (on the street) given my various riding situations. I'm willing to give up some Superbike performance (on the street) for Monster flexibility.

You so crazy. :D I think I saw you and your SO flying along 50th yesterday. Going to Spokane this weekend?

mike
05-26-2004, 02:26 PM
No Spokane love for me. I'm determined to do some track days this year, but racing is out for sure. Not enough time. New wife, new house, new Monster, no money! (oh, but just enough left to play with my Honda - new brake pads, steel brake lines, and new tires arrived today! Come check 'em out in my office...)

lll0228
05-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Hm...I guess I haven't leaned enough to scratch anything but my pipes... Weird. :)

motogrrl
06-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Oh, and of course I was riding in my new tennis shoes.

please tell me that I wasn't your MSF instructor! ;)

seriously, tennis shoes aren't the best choice (risk assessment-wise) of footwear for long rides (not the best for running to the corner store, either, but i'm realistic).

and wasn't it raining Monday? [I forget, the weekend was so dreary.]

kathy
finally here -- after 10 days in NY and almost that long getting caught back up!

mike
06-03-2004, 08:31 AM
Some people ride in the rain...in tennis shoes. =)