11-15-2005, 12:52 PM
That hypermotard is hot

ducmons
11-15-2005, 01:33 PM
i dig the motard. cool bike.

I like the rims on the monster as well.

Jeremy
11-15-2005, 01:35 PM
I agree...the motard looks pretty awesome. It's be a cool 2nd or 3rd bike.

ducmons
11-15-2005, 01:38 PM
I agree...the motard looks pretty awesome. It's be a cool 2nd or 3rd bike.

or 5th or 6th... :D

Jim is Cool
11-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Homer mode: ON

mmmmmmm.....motttaarrrrrrrrrrdddddd.....<droool>

DirtyRonin
11-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Is the hypermotard going to be shown at the Seattle International Motocycle Show?

RockStar
11-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Is the hypermotard going to be shown at the Seattle International Motocycle Show?

Sounds like a DucDo is in order. We could storm the convention center en masse!!

y

robhar54
11-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Yah, I just spent 20 minutes drooling over the hypermotard. Yum! If you could just fit dual-sporty tires and some big-ass aluminium panniers on it, it'd be perfect!

I'm serious!

Looks like an Italian HP2. It being a 'motard though limits it I think, as previous posters have suggested, to a play bike. Make it into a real dual sport and it'd be a winner in my book. That would finally get my off my butt and onto a new Duc. My total dream bike.

-Rob H.

martino
11-15-2005, 07:14 PM
For some reason I don't care about Ducati Hypermotard at all. Am I the only one?

DucatiScott
11-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Tell Ducati what you think about the Hypermotard. They have set up a survey.
http://www.ducati.com/profile/survey_moto/page_intro.jsp?lng=en

bob wells
11-15-2005, 07:29 PM
For some reason I don't care about Ducati Hypermotard at all. Am I the only one?

No your not alone. The super motard thing is okay just not me. Like a previous post said would make a great 4 or 5 bike. The superbike and S4R click my clock more.

Bob

Torben
11-15-2005, 07:29 PM
That's the dual sport that Federico would neither confirm nor deny the existance of when I was in Italy earlier this summer. Glad to see the rumors coming to life! Looks like a fun machine

martino
11-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks.
I could not register for this web section - pull down with year of birth goes only down to 1905 :D.
Now seriously, I would not want to skew the results. I neither like it nor hate it. It just isn't my DUCATI image.

Tell Ducati what you think about the Hypermotard. They have set up a survey.
http://www.ducati.com/profile/survey_moto/page_intro.jsp?lng=en (http://www.ducati.com/profile/survey_moto/page_intro.jsp?lng=en)
Good to know I am not alone ;).

No your not alone. The super motard thing is okay just not me. Like a previous post said would make a great 4 or 5 bike. The superbike and S4R click my clock more.
Bob

SeattleStallion
11-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Its a neat looking bike (the motard). I dunno though, Mag engine covers and Ohlins suspension? That sounds like a very expensive bike.

kamran
11-15-2005, 10:08 PM
I'd go for the 999R any time.
The motard thing isn't for me either. The motard looks cool with the exception of the pipes. They look like bad drain pipes or something! I think they should have either hide them better or cut them short... I just don't like snaking the pipes all around the guts of the bike! Almost like the underwear is hanging out! Or is it a diaper? :confused:

Jim is Cool
11-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Looks aside. (But I like it, it's different)

Riding that thing would be freaking HOOT!

Bafazane
11-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Finally Ducati might take a step away from housing an entire line of stuffy, image-hyperconscious bikes and build the motard. It would be awesome to ride, I'm sure, and it looks awesome, too! But who knows, I think KTMs look awesome too.

Jeremy
11-16-2005, 09:06 AM
I think the motard would be really fun to ride, but it does sound expensive and wouldn't be all that practical. I'd most likely never buy one based upon that...and the fact that my wife doesn't see the logic in owning several motorcycles! :rolleyes:

I'd like to see Ducati make a true dual sport...like the multistrada, but made for more off-roading. Maybe take some aesthetics from the hypermotard. I still want a multistrada though! :D

swassociates
11-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I think the motard would be really fun to ride, but it does sound expensive and wouldn't be all that practical.

You mean like a 999 is cheap and practical?

swassociates
11-16-2005, 11:22 AM
My current favorite

http://www.ktm.com/EN/images/950_sm_orange.jpg

Jeremy
11-16-2005, 11:36 AM
You mean like a 999 is cheap and practical?
I don't own a 999 either. Would like one...but see previous post.

Not sure which one is 'less practical'. One supposedly sucks in the city, the other supposedly sucks on the highway.

kamran
11-16-2005, 11:42 AM
My current favorite

http://www.ktm.com/EN/images/950_sm_orange.jpg

I like the way KTM tucks away the pipe, rather than a long trunk like pipe... :scared10:
Besides, you don't want to crush your pipe everytime you bottom out on sand and/or rock! :scared10:

martino
11-16-2005, 11:49 AM
and a bit modified version of the hypermotard on speedzilla

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12239

gw6
11-16-2005, 11:51 AM
I don't like that motard personally. It's doesn't say Ducati to me. I've never been a fan of that style bike though.

Bafazane
11-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Besides, you don't want to crush your pipe everytime you bottom out on sand and/or rock! :scared10:

I severely doubt you would want to take either the KTM or the Ducati motard on anything but pavement. If you wanted to head off pavement, this
http://www.ktmimages.com/storybook/images/393/10034_415ba2f6d90e79_m.jpg would probably be the most fun! Umm, yeah, it would rock!

kamran
11-16-2005, 01:35 PM
I severely doubt you would want to take either the KTM or the Ducati motard on anything but pavement. If you wanted to head off pavement

Those tire sure don't look like street tires to me? It'd be like the guys who ride mountain bikes in the city!

I thought they use these bike for races such as Baja...
Even the city track courses have the short stubby jumps that if you land wrong, you could smack the bottom hard!

Torben
11-16-2005, 01:42 PM
One thing folks need to bare in mind is that the 2-wheel lifestyle in Europe is much different from here. There's a lot more motard and dual-sport machines, and more 2 wheeled machines in general there and I would expect that the target market is Europe. While they will import them here, I'm betting the majority of consumption will be across the pond.

Bafazane
11-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ducati Hypermotard and the KTM 950 SM are not motards in the true sense of the term as raced internationally. Those I believe are mid-displacement 4-stroke singles that look nearly identical to dirtbikes, apart from street-ish tires and brakes.
These large displacement bikes are more like longer travel naked bikes. Riding style may be similar, but they have far less travel than true motards and far more weight. They are not something you'd want to take on fire roads to tear around on. The KTM 950 Super Enduro and maybe the BMW HP2 are the big, comfortable-ish bikes you'd want for that and other less techinical offroad tomfoolery. I'll take one of each please. :happy44:

swassociates
11-16-2005, 03:16 PM
One thing folks need to bare in mind is that the 2-wheel lifestyle in Europe is much different from here. There's a lot more motard and dual-sport machines, and more 2 wheeled machines in general there and I would expect that the target market is Europe. While they will import them here, I'm betting the majority of consumption will be across the pond.

I totally agree. The Hypermotard is the rock crusher street bike and for the right price will be a slam dunk in the USA. Motard style is giant in Australia as well. I would consider one for sure.

Jim is Cool
11-16-2005, 09:58 PM
I think the motard would be really fun to ride, but it does sound expensive and wouldn't be all that practical.

I'd like to see Ducati make a true dual sport...like the multistrada, but made for more off-roading. Maybe take some aesthetics from the hypermotard. I still want a multistrada though! :D

Ducati and practicallity......pipe dream. ;-)

More off road capable? That's called a dirt bike, and you ain't gonna be doing anything more than what the multistrada can do now with a heavy v-twin engine.

Jim is Cool
11-16-2005, 10:13 PM
The SuperDuke led the way for production irresponsibility, which is what these bikes are, and why no good could come from having one, which is why I want one so badly.

http://www.990superduke.com/

Take a look at the KTM movie for it too, it's completely irresponsible of them to promote this type of bike this way, but it's also the best way to show someone exactly why I'd buy it. ;-)

click on "watch the video" and turn up your speakers.

Jeremy
11-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Ducati and practicallity......pipe dream. ;-)

More off road capable? That's called a dirt bike, and you ain't gonna be doing anything more than what the multistrada can do now with a heavy v-twin engine.
Do you think the MTS is as capable offroad as the BMW R1200GS? That's what I had in mind. I was under the impression the MTS was more geared towards pavement.

swassociates
11-16-2005, 10:51 PM
The SuperDuke led the way for production irresponsibility, which is what these bikes are, and why no good could come from having one, which is why I want one so badly.

http://www.990superduke.com/

Take a look at the KTM movie for it too, it's completely irresponsible of them to promote this type of bike this way, but it's also the best way to show someone exactly why I'd buy it. ;-)

click on "watch the video" and turn up your speakers.

950 Supermoto

Even better

http://www.950supermoto.com/ (KTM 950 Supermoto)

Jim is Cool
11-16-2005, 11:34 PM
950 Supermoto

Even better

http://www.950supermoto.com/ (KTM 950 Supermoto)

I'd put it about even ;-)

Dave R
11-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Do you think the MTS is as capable offroad as the BMW R1200GS? That's what I had in mind. I was under the impression the MTS was more geared towards pavement.

The question that should be asked first is, are you a good enough off road rider to take a BMW off road ? If all you plan is fire roads than with the right tires I believe the MTS could perform just as well. A big bore two cylinder motorcycle is a handfull :scared10: in the most capable of riders hands. Now if you plan to enter the next Paris Dakar :) I would venture to say that until they release the new hypermotard, the BMW would be a good platform to start with, but the KTM would be better. Granted there are far more off road bits available to help gear the GS for more serious off road adventures
than there ever will be for the MTS. Back to my first comment, how capable of an off road pilot are you ?

Jeremy
11-17-2005, 09:19 AM
The question that should be asked first is, are you a good enough off road rider to take a BMW off road ? If all you plan is fire roads than with the right tires I believe the MTS could perform just as well. A big bore two cylinder motorcycle is a handfull :scared10: in the most capable of riders hands. Now if you plan to enter the next Paris Dakar :) I would venture to say that until they release the new hypermotard, the BMW would be a good platform to start with, but the KTM would be better. Granted there are far more off road bits available to help gear the GS for more serious off road adventures
than there ever will be for the MTS. Back to my first comment, how capable of an off road pilot are you ?
The Paris Dakar will have to wait! :p If the MTS would be decent on dirt roads then that would do just fine...which is good because I really like the MTS. I was just thinking that when I get a motorcycle geared for longer trips, then I would like something that can carry gear and is decent if I wanted to follow a dirt road or something...say to a cool camping spot. No intentions of jumping it or anything. :eek: I guess I was underestimating the MTS.

I take back my Ducati should make a dual sport comment. :o

Uh oh...I just hijacked my own thread! :D

ducmons
11-17-2005, 11:54 AM
I take back my Ducati should make a dual sport comment. :o

Uh oh...I just hijacked my own thread! :D

Regardless of the power, I would agree Ducati needs a dual sport, in two sizes. Medium like a 350 or 400, and then a 600-700 range. my .02

RockStar
11-17-2005, 12:42 PM
After witnessing Bong knee down on his MTS at PIR I wouldn't underestimate the MTS under a competent driver. ;)

I think it'd be great to see the MTS in the Paris-Dakar or a Motard in an extended multi-platform venue.