PDA

View Full Version : Bike down on 520

gw6
11-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Kind of a strange crash. Almost resembles a Monster in the picture but the video clears that up.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/5348201/detail.html

Torben
11-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Egad that looks messy - glad she's ok though.

Jim is Cool
11-17-2005, 02:46 PM
looks like a motard of some sort. I'd almost say a Yami....

Jim is Cool
11-17-2005, 02:50 PM
MZ probably?

motodave
11-17-2005, 03:25 PM
looks more like a Suzuki drz 400sm. Just found out that she is a customer of ours, watched the video on king5 news and they have close ups of the gal laying sideways on the island. her first name is Reshel

lindsay
11-17-2005, 03:46 PM
yikes. that's my commute home and i know that corner well. i couldn't get the video to work, but judging from the photo, she just didn't turn left... looks like she laid on the rear brake rather than taking the corner... not the best place to do that. glad she made it, relatively speaking.

does look like a DR-Z.

motodave
11-17-2005, 03:50 PM
heres a link to king 5 news right now its on their main page, but to get video to work you have to sign up. http://www.king5.com/w/

Jim is Cool
11-17-2005, 04:01 PM
That does it, whenever I cross a bridge over water, I'm wearing my water wings.

Bong
11-17-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm glad to hear it sounds like she'll be ok. I've had thoughts of how quickly I could take my helmet off in the event I ever dropped into Lk Washington while riding over 520 or I90 :scared10:

gw6
11-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Shoot, I'd rather fly off into the water any day that go head first into that barrier.

DucatiScott
11-17-2005, 05:17 PM
The story on king5.com said they gave her a ticket "for failure to maintain control of vehicle to avoid collison." You'd think they might have cut her some slack after a fall like that.

lll0228
11-17-2005, 06:44 PM
The story on king5.com said they gave her a ticket "for failure to maintain control of vehicle to avoid collison." You'd think they might have cut her some slack after a fall like that.
Ever wonder why people hate cops?

Bafazane
11-17-2005, 06:50 PM

In certain cases, not necessarily this one, someone does something stupid by themself, crashes and then needs emergency services (ambulances, police). I believe a ticket like this is in place because of those cases. I don't know the story of this crash, so I'm just saying why these *might* be handed out.

Redrum
11-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Suzuki RM450SM

Jim is Cool
11-18-2005, 12:11 AM

WSP is required to issue a citation for any accident they arrive at.

Yes it sux.

I bet if she did some track days, she wouldn't have hit the barrier because she would've known the limit of the bike/tires ;-)

As I tell the beginners, it's always better to lowside than to highside, what we have here is an extreme example of that very situation. Throw it into the turn.

Jeremy
11-18-2005, 09:08 AM
The news this morning said no broken bones or serious injuries...just some bruises. She fell something like 45 feet into the water which is about 49 degrees!

RockStar
11-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Wow, 45 feet?! Was she wearing full gear? That had to at least knock the wind out of her...*wincing*

...yeah the ticket thing has actually been developed over a course of many years both by policy and by direct influence by a citizen's board. Not unilaterally by the WSP contrary to the popular local version of antidisestablishmentarianism. (my $5 Bohemian blend word for the day ;)

y.

swassociates
11-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Not to kick someone when they're down but these are the kind of people that give motorcyclists a bad name.

Jeremy
11-18-2005, 10:30 AM
She appeared to be wearing full gear.

I have no problem with her getting a ticket. If some cager spun their car out on the same curve in a single vehicle accident which caused the ramp to be closed, backed traffic up, and required medical/rescue services, I would want them to get a ticket. This isn't any different IMO.

UKDuc
11-18-2005, 11:12 AM
I think some bad driving should get a ticket (especially where people are deliberately impairing themselves by using cellphones, etc), but does this mean that every mistake on the road is penalized with a ticket? We are not all robots, every now and then we make judgement errors and that can have unfortunate outcomes. Will everyone who spins out on black ice this year get a ticket from the WSP? Even the WSP make judgement errors that cause accidents...

I am not saying that this woman shouldn't get a ticket, or that it is bad to ticket people who cause accidents, I just doubt that she went out deliberately to cause an accident where she was thrown 45ft in to the lake, and giving her a ticket for doing so is not going to make her a better rider, or think twice about it before she does it again - I think the 45ft fall will do that all by itself. In the circumstances, is the ticket there to discourage others from jumping 45ft in to water from their bike? Or is the ticket supposed to encourage others that the WSP will make people who create traffic backlogs pay? It seems like the only weapon in the WSPs arsenal is tickets. I think I would have understood better if they offered her further training as an alternative to the ticket perhaps.

martino
11-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Ticket or no ticket I think she kicked ass. Such a thing would scare the hell out of most people and let them panick and die. She managed and will have the most incredible story to talk about for years. I am sure she gives no damn about the ticket.

RockStar
11-18-2005, 12:20 PM
..... if they offered her further training as an alternative to the ticket perhaps.

Often a traffic safety class sponsored by an insurance company or a local PD will prevent a ticket (depending on infraction) from appearing on one's record. This is a common class nowadays but it's up to the individual sometimes to find out the how's and where's of mitigation.

Martino, dude, so true. Women handle the adrenal response curve so much better than men do! I want her on my team!...hey, maybe she needs a Ducati ;) I'll sell her my 748!

lll0228
11-18-2005, 03:55 PM
antidisestablishmentarianism. (my $5 Bohemian blend word for the day ;)
This should go into the Cliff Note!