PDA

View Full Version : Ducatisti Did Not Wave Back! What The F*&%?

DJS
06-30-2004, 11:35 AM
After ranting and raving about fellow motorcyclist not waving back I never thought I would have to say this publicly. I saw a 749 Dark riding north on I-5 yesterday near Mountlake Terrace and he/she did not wave back. The fellow Ducatisti was wearing a black Vanson jacket w/ yellow patch headed northbound around 5:45, yesterday evening. Although I was not on my Ducati, was stretching the legs on my neglected blue R6, it deeply saddened me to think a Ducatisti would not wave back. :(

darkduc
06-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Ever think maybe I didn't see you? :confused:

That HAD to be me. Sorry dude. Didn't see you there.. Well, maybe it was the R6..

No, really, I must have been caught up with traffic or something. :D

DJS
06-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Just giving you a hard time man. You were in heavy flow and cars were all over the place going north. That yellow Vanson patch makes you stick out big time! Oh ya and I was riding my 1999 R6. That WAS, as you mentioned, probably the biggest contributing factor. You probably thought I was some sort of SQUID. :p

silas
06-30-2004, 12:18 PM
So how many people really make a point to wave on a divided freeway, I know I don't. Way too many cars/garbage/cops to dodge in traffic to worry about the little things like that.

DJS
06-30-2004, 12:26 PM
I try and say hello to my fellow riders but will not if it is dangerous to do so. I leave enough room ahead of me which makes it easy to quickly wave and then it's back to the business at hand. I have also talked with some riders who are so focused on riding that they dare not take their hands off the grips.

jpuck91
06-30-2004, 12:26 PM
I do if possible... as long as I don't think that waving at that exact moment will endanger me somehow... but usually I try to wave at any other motorcyclists I see. Even Harley's and R6's :D .

Torben
06-30-2004, 12:27 PM
But what about scotters?
I waved at a scotter once and it felt like I was waving at a guy on a bicycle. Don't think I'll do that again. :p

DJS
06-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Ha ha, I have done that too. I feel pretty silly after I do and the bastards don’t wave back! There must be some special scooter thing they do instead of the standard wave. Now that they have those 500cc super scooter lounge chair things it’s difficult to tell they are scooters till its too late.

Jim is Cool
06-30-2004, 01:32 PM
I hate to say this, but waving at a scooter makes me feel dirty, kinda like looking at a friends hot daughter...........well, not really the same way, but you get what I'm saying.......don't you? Um.....look at the baby wolves!

Torben
06-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Jim, sounds like you have some experience with that.
Scooters that is.

On an unrelated topic, and a completely innocent question, how are your neighbors these day? Any recent pics? :D

lll0228
06-30-2004, 01:48 PM
But what about scotters?
I waved at a scotter once and it felt like I was waving at a guy on a bicycle. Don't think I'll do that again. :p
I actually think the scooter people mostly don't understand the waving idea... I waved a hottie on a scooter yesterday on campus and she just looked at me blank. :confused:

DJS
06-30-2004, 01:55 PM
I agree with Leo. About scooter people. Leo she must have been really young... :p

lll0228
06-30-2004, 01:59 PM
I agree with Leo. About scooter people. Leo she must have been really young... :p
Yeah, early twenties, I'd guess. Pink strappy top, sand capri-length pants, nice sunglasses. :) Yeah, Torben, she was blonde. :)

Torben
06-30-2004, 02:00 PM
I don't think scooters get to a fast enough velocity for counter steering to kick in, so by waving it poses a hazard - they may tip over. :D

lll0228
06-30-2004, 02:01 PM
I don't think scooters get to a fast enough velocity for counter steering to kick in, so by waving it poses a hazard - they may tip over. :D
Ah, before you say that...try Dave R's wheelie Stella! :)

CINDESMO
06-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Pretty much I wave at everybody. Scooter riders are shocked that you waved and probably think that you were swatting at a bee or something. Last night on Aurora I only waved at every other rider. Most of the morning Aurora riders seem too asleep to wave back, but the evening ones are good.

As for divided highway waving, I personally think it is easy to see bikes going the other way because I am scanning the entire freeway for cops, accidents, brake lights, flying wheels or plywood. I started checking out the other side of the freeway as a child looking for cool cars. I usually only wave at the people in the closest lane because I assume the other riders have tunnel vision and won't wave.

All in all, I probably wouldn't wave at DJS either! :D

CINDESMO
06-30-2004, 02:04 PM
The Derbi GP1 is easy to wheely also.

DJS
06-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Ah JEEZZ thanks. I'm feel'n da love. Is that because I say my R6 is the BEST!? Or because I even own one of those “other” bikes? I wave all the time to Jodster when I see her riding around with a cat box on her passenger seat. :p

CINDESMO
06-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Today she is on Evil Twin. You should wave because I know you can hear her approaching. Jodster informed me that until she gets new tires she will ride ET and I can ride the Tard!

DRS
06-30-2004, 03:05 PM
hey darkduc, just admit that you were about ready to clutch up a wheelie in 3th and your hands were unavailable for waiving... :D

mikimoto
06-30-2004, 04:33 PM
One time I waved at a girl on a Goped (she was about 14) not only did she wave back, but she gave me a big thumbs up. :)

Miki

silas
06-30-2004, 04:37 PM
I try and say hello to my fellow riders but will not if it is dangerous to do so. I leave enough room ahead of me which makes it easy to quickly wave and then it's back to the business at hand. I have also talked with some riders who are so focused on riding that they dare not take their hands off the grips.

That's true, my experience is on freeways at rush hour. I'm always trying to see who is going to merge into the car pool lane at 10 mph with me at 50 or so, 405 in Renton sucks.

Torben
06-30-2004, 04:40 PM
405 in Renton, 405 in Bellevue, anywhere there's turn in the road.
Have you ever noticed that traffic always slows when the road goes away from a straight orientation? I guess cagers don't know how to corner :D
Maybe they should take the superbike racing school :p

Dave R
06-30-2004, 05:46 PM
So here's my take seeing as I ride both..
I find it very odd that I can ride my 996Monster one day with my Dainese jacket, helmet, boots etc and most every m/c rider will wave back. Then the next day I ride my "Stella" scooter with the same outfit and if I wave at the same m/c rider I waved to the day before, they turn their head and act like they can't see me !! WTF ?? Oh my Gosh, don't EVER pass a car because they will do whatever it takes regardless of the law/speed limit to get back around me !! I passed a HD rider three times coming down Westlake and then each straight away he would gas it past me and then I just would dive under him in the turns (in my own lane of course) .. If I wave at other scooter riders they tend to wave back so enthusiastically I am afraid they may fall off their scooter ! At this point I have stopped waving at M/C riders when I ride my scooter but I guess I will still wave at Duc riders. So if you see a little red 2 stroke Stella scooter pass you thru Fremont or around DucSea, wave back it could be me !

lll0228
06-30-2004, 06:02 PM
So if you see a little red 2 stroke Stella scooter pass you thru Fremont or around DucSea, wave back it could be me !
Dave, you just can't help it but you just have to PASS the Ducatis with your wheelie-enabled Stella, eh? LOL :D

quasi_d
07-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Heh...I think folks get too caught up in this wave thing (or basically not recieving one in return). It's too easy to get overlooked in normal traffic or to simply be occupied in trying not to get run over while going through a turn and oil's spilled all over (exaggeration ;) ) to have time to wave back. That aside, I've recently taken to giving thumbs up to scooters...they just look so cute I can't help it.

I remember a story from a Monster rider from awhile back, where he'd wave to Harley riders who wouldn't wave back, so he started waving with really big wild enthusiastic arm motions embarassing the other rider enough to finally acknowledge back with a wave. Hahah. :p

SR! Tom
07-01-2004, 10:49 PM
There are plenty of reasons why we wave:
http://www.soundrider.com/archive/Barnyard-Banter/barnyard_banter2.htm

...and why we don't:
http://www.soundrider.com/archive/editorial/why_i_didn.htm

...never take it personally...and remember the times you didn't either.

ducfoot
07-03-2004, 08:45 PM
I feel lucky, I usually get about an 80% wave return. The 20% are for various reasons, sometimes I can't return a wave for safety reasons either, which makes me feel bad. Hopefully I'll see that person again and then make up for it with an extra enthusiastic wave.
I always wave at scooters though, they are the most ignored of the riding population, and they get soo excited when someone actually acknowledges them. It warms the heart.... :)

Marsha

fatboy
07-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Wave,wave,wave I don't need no stinking wave.