PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Plate Springs and Torque

pkclark1
12-31-2005, 12:25 AM
So I'm installing my new pressure plate and all is going well until I start to tighten up the springs. The Speedymoto instructions say to torque to 5 Nm or 3 ft lbs. Thats all fine and good but my torque wrench isn't designed for this type of application. A screwdriver torque wrench would be nice but I realy don't want to spend more on the wrench than the pressure plate. Am I being too exact on this and sould I just crank 'em down? I read through Darkduc's great post, but there was no mention as to how far to tighten the springs other than "Start one bolt and then do the tire-changing star pattern to slowly tighten down all of the bolts." Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Pat

RockStar
12-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Until you can get it to a tool or mechanic....

When I got the spring bolts within range of the torque setting I took note of how each bolt felt suddenly tight once they went all the way down. Made sure each was the same working in a star pattern and then gapped the pressure plate with a set of calipers. I haven't had a problem since.

I wish I would've checked the board while up in Seattle tonight I would've stopped by to help. sorry, I gotta unplug sometimes y'know? lol.

y.

pkclark1
12-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Neighbor to the rescue! All is good in the World once more. Thanks Rockstar for the offer of help.
Pat