PDA

View Full Version : 749D Graphics: Do you like the looks of this?

darkduc
07-01-2004, 10:58 PM
So, I've been playing with the idea of creating some custom graphics to put on my bike. My family crest has a silver rose on it so I thought I might try that out on the bike and see how it looks. Here's what I've come up with. Tell me what you think guys.

http://www.desmonorthwest.com/photopost/data/501/720749dWithRose.jpg

Bill Anderson
07-01-2004, 11:13 PM
I do not care for graphics on a DUC. Ducatis' appeal for me lie in their clean lines and muted, understated good looks. Think of Miles Davis vs. Dizzy Gillespie.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

flyingducman
07-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Owning a Ducati in itself is an expression of your individuality. Graphics can only add to this individuality...GO FOR IT once you feel you've found the right look to the graphic(s). You don't want to follow all the other ducs do you?

charon
07-01-2004, 11:37 PM
do what makes you happy even it it means a pink hello kitty themed duc 749.

I was not quite sure what the graphics were on your bike that I was looking at, I saw a bunch of funny shaped skulls at first. Now that you explained it, I can dig it.

I've had some ideas for custom graphics on my bike in the back of my mind but i'm not reavealing them yet and I may never (no torben it isn't hello kitty).

Curt999
07-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Personaly I subscribe to the less is more theory on this one. Especially on a dark. IMO the darks are muted and understated and that is what makes them attractive. With that said however, I'm also a stong believer in being an individual and creative. so go with what moves you. Now what would be realy cool would be to take the graphic you have come up and have it custom painted onto the body so it could only be seen in certain light or an angle.

Speaking of custom paint, I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a Duc SBK that was custom painted to be made to look like the body work was partially clear so you could see what looked like was the motor....

Good luck

Curt

darkduc
07-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Don't worry, that's photoshop, I haven't done anything to it yet. Just getting ideas and trying to figure out what I want.

I'm a strong believer in 'less is more' philosophy, especially for my Duc but I do want to customize it in some way. 3M has black vinyl available for those vinyl plotters that glows white when it's lit up by headlights. I'm thinking that might be pretty cool. You'd barely see it in daylight but at night when a car shines it's headlights on it, lookout! :D

I was not quite sure what the graphics were on your bike that I was looking at, I saw a bunch of funny shaped skulls at first. Now that you explained it, I can dig it.
Well, you're the second person who thought the graphic was a bunch of squished skulls. I'm thinking that's not going to work then. That's not what I'm after.

mikimoto
07-02-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm a strong believer in 'less is more' philosophy, especially for my Duc but I do want to customize it in some way. 3M has black vinyl available for those vinyl plotters that glows white when it's lit up by headlights. I'm thinking that might be pretty cool. You'd barely see it in daylight but at night when a car shines it's headlights on it, lookout! :D

That sounds like a much better idea, as I too, prefer understated elegance as opposed to "bling bling".

Miki

DRS
07-02-2004, 01:07 PM
looks like a chick bike.

Torben
07-02-2004, 01:22 PM
I'd skip on the bike graphics, and get a tatoo or something.
Or get a patch made for your jacket.

RockStar
07-02-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm one for family crests and developing my creative side. It's not mine to say whether I 'like' it, but I can say that to echo Charron's comments: the duality presented by the rose/skull weave is appropriate. For the dark though I wonder how a more subdued appearance would look....more embedded in the dark flat the bike already has. (opacity @ 35-25% in PS).

Y.

darkduc
07-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Right. The concensus is it sucks. Plus, the vinyl I want to use it REALLY expensive for a one off job like mine. So, I'm going to 'leave it be'.

Thanks for your input guys. :D

DRS
07-02-2004, 09:49 PM
spend the cash on a termi full system, ecu upgrade, flywheel, and a slipper clutch. :D

Squidley
07-03-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm all about making a machine thine own. It looks to me a little unbalanced, the motion is all on the bottom, I'd add to or move.

Bill Anderson
07-03-2004, 11:33 PM
I am not fond of matte paints, including the titanium matte of my ST4s. I have seen a 749D sitting at Ducati Seattle and LOVE IT. That model and matte black ("Ducati Dark") were made for each other and no further graphics are necessary.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.