PDA

View Full Version : DNW Whistler Trip

Eddy
01-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey everyone, the idea for a Whistler/Blackomb group trip is in the works for the week/weekend of March 20-25. As of now we're working out details so any suggestions or help would be great. Even if your not into boarding/skiing there's other things to do as Whistler Village is a great place to just kick back or party if you so choose :evilgrin3 . This is open to EVERYONE, so let the fun times be had :) Please post up if interested so we can better organize lodging details.

In:

Eddy +1
Kamran
JD
Jeremy +1
Ian (+1?)
malentendu arete

martino
01-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Ian (possibly +1)

Hey everyone, the idea for a Whistler/Blackomb group trip is in the works for the week/weekend of March 20-25. As of now we're working out details so any suggestions or help would be great. Even if your not into boarding/skiing there's other things to do as Whistler Village is a great place to just kick back or party if you so choose :evilgrin3 . This is open to EVERYONE, so let the fun times be had :) Please post up if interested so we can better organize lodging details.

In:

Eddy +1
Kamran
JD
Jeremy +1

kamran
01-06-2006, 12:00 PM
...also for all those non-snow participants, if the weather in March is agreeable, a group ride to whistler or any other kind of ride on the bike to whistler is a real treat... :D

Eddy
01-06-2006, 12:10 PM
...also for all those non-snow participants, if the weather in March is agreeable, a group ride to whistler or any other kind of ride on the bike to whistler is a real treat... :D
you would really impress me if you went up to do both. (LOLthe sight of riding that MV up there with board/skis strapped to the back!)

flyingducman
01-06-2006, 12:14 PM
you would really impress me if you went up to do both. (LOLthe sight of riding that MV up there with board/skis strapped to the back!)
Probably make the front page of the local paper :happy44: (and hopefully not because he bit it on the ice :happy57: !)

Jeremy
01-06-2006, 12:20 PM

That would be great!

For all of the non-boarders/skiers...Molly and I plan on snowmobiling one of the days we're up there. Nothing planned yet, but it'll be near the middle of those dates.

kamran
01-06-2006, 12:20 PM
...not so far fetched!!! I was actually seriously looking into building a ski rack for the bike (not the Duc) when I used to go there for summer skiing!

Bong
01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Last winter was so dry I actually did a weekend ride up through the NCascades/Kamloops/Lillooet/Whistler area. Would make for a nice group ride later in the spring/summer months.

As for the ski thread, I can't make this one but you all have fun!

Eddy
01-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Just making a few initial calls and web checks, I came up on a deal through the Whistler Holiday Inn. They offered a group discounted rate for roughly $174(U.S.) a night for the week of March 20th for the rental of 10 rooms or more. Each room has a Queen and an additional "Murphy" bed and I believe a kitchenette. I've been told these rooms could accomodate up to 4 ppl but most likely it would make sense for couples at max. Locale wise it's right in the village(Located ontop of the Movie Theaters, west end of the village) so its just a convenient walk to the lifts or anywhere else that's poppin' at night. The deal isn't too bad considering that many of the other spots were charging $250 and up. I'm not sure I can go for the entire week but I was thinking of making it a 3-day trip from thurs-sat. Let me know what yall think!

http://www.whistlerhi.com/

malentendu arete
01-06-2006, 07:01 PM
count me in...:)

kamran
01-06-2006, 07:12 PM
eddy:
I think there are always deals to be had. Not sure if I want to pay $179/night by myself.
But the idea of getting a two bedroom condo that can put up 6~8 people (large living area with hide-a-bed) is not that bad. Check out Tantalus:
http://www.tantaluslodge.com/home/home.php
I'll ask a few friends where the deals are...

martino
01-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Wed-Sun at most but Thurs-Sat or Thurs-Sun would be great. Old days we were leaving at 3 AM, skiing the whole day and coming back to Seattle at night. Now I prefer leaving early afternoon (still time to go after arrival), ski next day and the following and come back either at night or the following morning. Separate hotel rooms are cool but the entire house or a few bedroom condo might be exciting too (especially if we continue the DOC conversations :D). Let's do it.

.... I'm not sure I can go for the entire week but I was thinking of making it a 3-day trip from thurs-sat. Let me know what yall think!

kamran
01-06-2006, 10:30 PM
I think we may want to rethink the date?
Check this site out (http://www.mountainvacations.bc.ca/); scroll to the bottom of the page and see the rates. You'll notice that the rates drop to almost half on april 1st! The rates are proportional to the likelihood of good skiable snow... or rain? Usually, late March, early April is spring condition skiing... or rain? So, why pay peak price when the conditions are iffy and price is doubled. If you want to go for fun (not neccessarily for the snow condition), then a week later everything is half price, and I don't have this urge to be there only on that date. Generally snow conditions are the best in February. I think we'd have a better chance of good snow then...especially for the effort to get there.

Eddy
01-07-2006, 11:00 PM
I think we may want to rethink the date?
Check this site out (http://www.mountainvacations.bc.ca/); scroll to the bottom of the page and see the rates. You'll notice that the rates drop to almost half on april 1st! The rates are proportional to the likelihood of good skiable snow... or rain? Usually, late March, early April is spring condition skiing... or rain? So, why pay peak price when the conditions are iffy and price is doubled. If you want to go for fun (not neccessarily for the snow condition), then a week later everything is half price, and I don't have this urge to be there only on that date. Generally snow conditions are the best in February. I think we'd have a better chance of good snow then...especially for the effort to get there.
Good point, for those going, what works best for you? Should we push the date back(better rate, spring conditions) or bump it up(regular rates, better conditions).

kamran
01-08-2006, 09:28 AM
I'd like to include the President's Day on February 20th, for a three day weekend...

flyingducman
01-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Good point, for those going, what works best for you? Should we push the date back(better rate, spring conditions) or bump it up(regular rates, better conditions).
Post a poll...and let the good times roll :happy57: !

martino
01-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Both dates are great provided conditions are OK (the place is not that much fun when it's raining). I would go for Feb now and still check early April later (it's a bargain then).

Eddy
01-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Post a poll...and let the good times roll :happy57: !
I hear ya Greg, I just figured that given the size of the group interested thus far it would probably be easiest to keep that discussion within the thread ;) That said, DON'T BE SHY NOW FOLKS, JOIN THE PARTY IF INTERESTED! :)

kamran
01-08-2006, 01:37 PM
here's another deal! 4 nights for the price of 3...
http://www.whistler.com/stayhere/info/feb-march.html

Jeremy
01-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Molly and I are locked into the end of March dates due to work. We had originally planned the trip for the end of February, but her work forced us to move it back a month. I hope it's not raining!

wwahl
01-11-2006, 08:20 PM
I just returned from Whistler/Blackcomb yesterday. They have terrific snow. We had 34 CM for my last day (Monday). I am headed for Sun Valley tomorrow.
Ciao!
Bill

ducmons
01-11-2006, 09:41 PM
back when we started planning this, I didn't know my wife would be in africa and would be returning March 20th. Her plans may still change, but if they don't, I won't be able to attend. :(