PDA

View Full Version : ST2 hard bag mounting?

Roadstergal
01-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Is there a decent writeup on the Web for hard pannier mounting on an ST2? "ST2" is too short for the search engine on this board, so apologies if it's been asked before. I have a used ST2, bags with no instructions, and a very small amount of time. :p

Dave R
01-18-2006, 02:04 PM
We have an instruction booklet on install we can give you if you want to stop by...

Roadstergal
01-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I think I will do that. Thanks!

Mat
01-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Dave may see it another way but I would tell you to
be prepared to do some "hole size adjusting" on the brackets.
Nonfango (for real?) doesn't shake hands real well with Mother Duck.
My brand new ST3, when picked up a the dealer, had wallowed out
(an not repainted!) bracket holes to make things line up.
I can be done, but my experience is that it is not as simple as
'insert tab A into slot B'.
Then again, maybe you will be blessed and Murphy (of Murphy's Law fame)
will be out of town when you bolt them on.

Apostate
01-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Just leave all the fasteners loose until you get the last one in, that way you have the ability to jockey everything around to make the holes line up the best you can. You still might have to open a hole (which is a bad option for a fastener which bears a significant weight), but be patient and leave everything loose and you might be okay. Leave tightening the fasteners until very last.

SennaST4s
01-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Just leave all the fasteners loose until you get the last one in, that way you have the ability to jockey everything around to make the holes line up the best you can. You still might have to open a hole (which is a bad option for a fastener which bears a significant weight), but be patient and leave everything loose and you might be okay. Leave tightening the fasteners until very last.
And Don't forget to make sure that you have tightened all of the bolts...it really sucks to get the bike put back together and then have to take it aprat again because you forgot to tighten one Bolt...

Bill Anderson
01-19-2006, 06:09 PM
You may want to take your question to the ST owners' group. From discussions I have seen there, it is not as simple as it seems.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/st2_owners/

I know there is an isssue with using a proper spacer so the mounting bolt does not stick out into the path of the swingarm, causing the swingarm to bounce up into the mounting bolt when going over a bump.

Mat
01-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Mr. Anderson has some good advice!
The spacer/bolt/swing arm thing on the left bag is a very real deal!!!
I have bagged and unbagged (brackets et al) my ST3 3 times
and each time "leave it loose" or not, it is a creative adventure,
ripe with new spacers and Non-Nonfango fasteners.
I am a mechanical engineer and this is art, not mechanics.
But, be ye heartened.....you will succeed in your quest
and will grow stronger in the process.

flyingducman
01-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Mounting a 'bag' on a bike really isn't all that difficult...once you get your positioning down :happy57: .

Mat
01-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Mounting a 'bag' on a bike really isn't all that difficult...once you get your positioning down :happy57: .

Cute and oh so manly!!!
But that 'ain't' got jack to do with to do with the question asked.
'Mount' whatever works for you, bags, boxes or huggers but try
to do what puts a smile on the face of the person needing real
help with a real problem.

Dave R
01-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Just an FYI guys, Rostergal came in and picked up the installation booklet. My guess is she got them installed with little hassle, she seems quite capable of figuring something like this out...

flyingducman
01-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Cute and oh so manly!!!
But that 'ain't' got jack to do with to do with the question asked.
'Mount' whatever works for you, bags, boxes or huggers but try
to do what puts a smile on the face of the person needing real
help with a real problem.Kinda like this post of yours gleened from a member asking a question about slave-cylnders?

The best answer,in my book....build the weenie muscle in your left arm and you have the best answer.
Otherwise, buy a Honda automatic.Along with the things RockStar said...I'd like to add hypocrisy. Or maybe you just trying to be funny :rolleyes: ? ...like my post.

This is kind of a regular thing with you Mutt...is there something in the water down-there :happy57: that should be avoided?

flyingducman
01-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Just an FYI guys, Rostergal came in and picked up the installation booklet. My guess is she got them installed with little hassle, she seems quite capable of figuring something like this out...
Figured that much...so I decided to have a little fun with it. But NOOOOO, gotta be soooo serious around these parts with what's floating-around out-there :happy57: .

Mat
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
I am sure that R-Gal can pull this together...no sweat!!
I do hope that she will report on the fun that she had
putting tab A in slot B.
Will you, R-Gal?

Mat
01-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Kinda like this post of yours gleened from a member asking a question about slave-cylnders?Along with the things RockStar said...I'd like to add hypocrisy. Or maybe you just trying to be funny :rolleyes: ? ...like my post.

This is kind of a regular thing with you Mutt...is there something in the water down-there :happy57: that should be avoided?

Water is fine down here.
Air is fine down here as well.
In fact, the traffic is perfect!
My green teeth and single wide mobile home are correctable.
I am just trying to add something here.
I have purchased many after market improvements that have not been.
Show me the way....Ace.

Roadstergal
01-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeesh, I created a monster!

Yes, once I saw the instructions, it was pretty straightforward. Thanks, Dave!

http://www.roadstergal.info/1_18_06/46.jpg