PDA

View Full Version : Racing-related concerns

flyingducman
01-19-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm thinking about doing the New Racer program with WMRRA this year and had a couple of insurance questions maybe someone can answer.

How do active racer's insure themselves against medical expenses related to a crash? Does the typical Regence policy cover an activity like motorcycle racing at this level? Or is there special coverage (like flight insurance) that can be bought for the day?

Kind of a stupid question :o since I know a standard policy of motorcycle insurance doesn't cover repair on a bike that was damaged racing. But like the medical question...is there any company that offers racing-coverage for race-damage repairs. If so, who? Any idea what the cost is?

Amber, you'll be racing an awefully expensive machine this year...do you have it covered with any type of insurance???

Jim is Cool
01-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Medical insurance will vary by policy. I'm lucky that my policy through work covered my crash 100%, otherwise even a percentage of the $40K would've been a real issue for me. Just check with your company etc.

Once you start getting paid to ride, then you have to look into special policies etc. You should be fine if you have med through work.

As far as the bike, good luck getting coverage, haven't heard of anyone ever finding a company stupid enough to do it. Can you even imagine the rates?

UKDuc
01-19-2006, 07:10 PM
You will crash :evilgrin3 - the question is how often you crash and how much damage you are likely to do in the crashes!

lindsay
01-19-2006, 07:34 PM
i've had three different policies during my racing/track tenure and they all covered it (regents, cigna, and something else) - but definitely check to make sure.

i looked around for bike insurance and couldn't come up with anything, although i believe there are some companies that will insure it against theft but not crash damage. the time i'm most paranoid is towing the bike down I5 in my open trailer.

lindsay

Rick Rinaldo
01-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, I have made it to the hospital several of times (under different insurance policies) and they all included a personal chauffeur (ambulance). There was never an issue of getting the insurance to pay. The problem I had was with the deductibles. There are so many different groups in the process that bill you it is difficult to determine what you have paid for and have not paid for. My guess is that your general health insurance will cover you with the normal deductibles (but make sure you check with them to be sure).

I do not know about the flight insurance. Down at Thunderhill there is a special flight insurance you can buy for like $25 that covers you for the full year. The problem is that they do not cover the Seattle or Spokane area.

See you at the track! And you too Lindsay -- I hope my slooowww bike will be able to keep up with you!

Rick...
WMRRA 123

kamran
01-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey Greg:
If you are so anxious to put yourself into a hospital and find out... I'm sure we can find a few willing participants on the forum who'd be willing and able to put you there, just to satisfy your curiosity...!!!!! ;) :scared10: :evilgrin3
.... let's see there's Guido with a baseball bat, and... :D

ducmons
01-19-2006, 11:12 PM
.... let's see there's Guido with a baseball bat... :D

Did someone call my name ?

Reporting to duty, SIR !

martino
01-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Greg,

First of all I think this is a fantastic idea (not that I want you to go away for a long time :D) but based on what UKDuc was describing and my own outsider's picture of the racing.
Now onto the medical insurance. Here is an idea. Buy an 'almost real ;)' SS card from someone, preferably a Medicare recipient (this will cause some confusion at the ER), and use it to get a coverage or to mask your own identity. This will take care of any issues related to coverage and deductibles mentioned by Rick. In my personal opinion just not getting the absolutely confusing bills is the biggest benefit but I bet there is more to it. Considering possible complications maybe you should buy few SS cards once you find the appropriate person (let me know about it as my local politician's babysitter needs one).

flyingducman
01-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Hey Greg:
If you are so anxious to put yourself into a hospital and find out... I'm sure we can find a few willing participants on the forum who'd be willing and able to put you there, just to satisfy your curiosity...!!!!! ;) :scared10: :evilgrin3
.... let's see there's Guido with a baseball bat, and... :DThanks for the generous offer Kamran, but I'd prefer a really cool story to tell the grandkids (even if it's just grandma teliing the story :scared10: with my picture on-the-wall).

Actually, I'm thinking about signing-up for just the class-room component and doing the Mike Sullivan program later to satisfy the riding component.

This may be all I do (just to get the knowledge and basic-training), or I may then participate in a few Novice Races provided I've readied a bike for racing (possibly a track/race-bike purchase in-the-future? :happy44: ).

Anyway I see it this would be outrageously fun, and better my track-riding skills even if I stick to track-days. Also, maybe I can get out of the beginner class with NESBA :rolleyes: with my improved skills? (anybody know what kind of pay-off Jim (JIC) takes for immediate advancement :happy57: if all else fails?)

flyingducman
01-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Greg,
Now onto the medical insurance. Here is an idea. Buy an 'almost real ;)' SS card from someone, preferably a Medicare recipient (this will cause some confusion at the ER), and use it to get a coverage or to mask your own identity. This will take care of any issues related to coverage and deductibles mentioned by Rick. In my personal opinion just not getting the absolutely confusing bills is the biggest benefit but I bet there is more to it. Considering possible complications maybe you should buy few SS cards once you find the appropriate person (let me know about it as my local politician's babysitter needs one).Ian, one-of-these-days I bet we're all going to see you on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno :happy44: . Hopefully you'll still talk to me after you've made-it-big :happy57: !

CINDESMO
01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
In two years of surgeries, rehab, follow-up etc. I never had any problems with Premera. The billing dept at Harborview on the other hand is tricky to deal with. (They do great work though!)

I am not sure about running novice heats if you don't intend to race. I would recommend personal instruction like the Sully School or NESBA track day instructors way before novice heats. You will get more instruction and about 10 times more track time than as a novice. If you attend more than one NESBA day, try getting a different instructor. Ever rider will teach you something different.

At track days or instructional schools your bike might be insured, but definitely won't be if you are in an organized racing event.

Above all else, have fun.

dmurrey
01-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Greg, good to see you are going to come out and join us, and judging from some of your previous comments i think you our eligible for some "extra special" training. I would like to offer my services to show you just what it takes to get a "plate", so you can understand why it leads to certain benefits in the racing community. ;)

sincerely,
Darren #4