PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake adjustment

748 Flo
01-20-2006, 12:29 AM
I've got a 748 and the rear brake basically does nothing. When I first got it the brake would hold the bike on a hill but not really anymore, now I can stand on it all day and nothing will happen. Is there some kind of adjustment I can do to it?

flyingducman
01-20-2006, 10:11 AM
I've got a 748 and the rear brake basically does nothing. When I first got it the brake would hold the bike on a hill but not really anymore, now I can stand on it all day and nothing will happen. Is there some kind of adjustment I can do to it?
I lost the rear-brake on my 749 in a similar fashion. It just needed to be bled.

748 Flo
01-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Do you have any instructions for this job? I can bleed the hydros on mtn. bikes but I'm sure these systems are a little different.

Rick Rinaldo
01-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Maybe this can help.

1. Have some brake fluid handy.
2. Pump the rear brake at least 5-7 times then keep it held down as far as possible.
3. With the brake pedal still held down as far as possible, crack open the bleeder valve on the brake and let the fluid run out (it might be wise to put a hose or rag over the valve so you don't make a big mess). Do not let go of the brake until you have tightened the bleeder valve back up (if you do this you will let air back in the line).
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you get all the air out of the line - You may need to add brake fluid to the reservoir during this process.

This should solve your air in the line problem. If it still does not work, you could have an issue with the master cylinder or a leak in your lines.

Remember, you can also adjust your linkage adjustment to alter the play in the brake pedal once all the air is out of the line.

Rick...
WMRRA 123

748 Flo
01-20-2006, 11:08 PM
awesome thanks for the tips. Sounds identical to the process we use on the bicycle brakes so I'll give it a try soon!

kamran
01-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Just one quick note before you decide to assume it might be a leaky master.... make sure the hose is not touching any part of the engine. Zip-tie the hose away from anything hot.
Good luck...