PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Day

DJS
05-26-2004, 01:22 PM
So how many of you are going to bring the toys out to play on Dyno Day? The first time I dyno’d my 2000 748S, Cycle Barn Open House, it got a decent 85rwhp. It will be interesting to see if the DS dyno shows the same results. Does anyone know if there is truth behind a cold bike making more power?

I might be biased but will be there for sure!

mike
05-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Where? When? How much?

Torben
05-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Valid questions. :D
I put up an annoucement on the portal page (aka the main page) and will put a thread up in the forums as well.

Dave R
05-26-2004, 02:24 PM
* * * * * * * DUCATI SEATTLE NEWS * * * * * * *
Ducati Seattle will host "Dyno Day" on Saturday, June 19th! In addition, DS will be sponsoring Desmo Northwest's inaugural welcome BBQ and membership drive! Please stop by and enjoy delicious BBQ provided to you by Desmo Northwest, powerful dyno runs from DS and good company.

Canned food donations will happily be accepted in support of Northwest Harvest.

Time: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Where: DS, back alley
Price: Free

Dave R
206-298-9995
droosevelt@ducatiseattle.com

quasi_d
05-26-2004, 02:36 PM
So how many of you are going to bring the toys out to play on Dyno Day? The first time I dyno’d my 2000 748S, Cycle Barn Open House, it got a decent 85rwhp. It will be interesting to see if the DS dyno shows the same results. Does anyone know if there is truth behind a cold bike making more power?

I might be biased but will be there for sure!

Erm, I don't know about a cold bike. My understanding is that cold air can typically make an engine generate more power (as the combustion is more "explosive" than with warmer air) but I imagine a warmer smoothly running engine should run stronger than a cold one. But what do I know.

Regarding the dyno day, I might try to get my Honda dyno'd assuming I can survive the Ducatisti revolt it may cause. :p

DJS
05-26-2004, 02:49 PM
some staffer walked up to three of us, all Ducati superbikes, and told us that a cold bike would yield better results. Just curious as to the theory behind this. But seriously I would much rather run my bike warm even though the run is only for a short bit of time. Gives me piece of mind that I’m not abusing the bike. The dyno did not use any type of ram air setup so all run were without air.

charon
05-26-2004, 05:55 PM
I'd probably go. I'm interested in seeing how the 999s is doing.

foggy123
05-26-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm going to try and make it. Will try to gather a few Monsters to represent. ;)

Apostate
05-27-2004, 09:10 AM
If I'm around, I'll try to make a showing. Supposed to go on a weekend camping ride, but if the weather is sketchy, may pass it up and come out to DS. Never had the 748 on a dyno and am curious about its output.

mike
05-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Never had the 748 on a dyno and am curious about its output.

If you're curious about the 748 in general I have a pic of my dyno runs up in my photo gallery (on this site).

Apostate
05-27-2004, 11:46 AM
90hp? That's impressive!

DJS
05-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Who got 90HP's Apo!? I looked and no one else posted #'s but if its me you're referring to I got 85rwhp.

Jim is Cool
05-27-2004, 02:39 PM
I hate to rain on everyones parade, but numbers are numbers, each Dyno will give different numbers on a given day, and Dyno to Dyno comparisons are worthless. Too many variables even when you hear "they were both calibrated" etc.

I just like to watch, one day we're gonna see another bike scatter it's guts like the Blackmans Aprilia did in Portland during FUSA Tech. (BTW, that thing was making monster power right up till it popped) :eek:

I just want to see how flat of a curve I can get. I should bring the mini bike and see what it gets.

Apostate
05-28-2004, 06:51 AM
Who got 90HP's Apo!? I looked and no one else posted #'s but if its me you're referring to I got 85rwhp.
Mike's got a dyno printout in his photo gallery showing that he just kissed 90hp.

Jim - I know dynos are best suited for showing relative gains due to mods, etc. Numbers for the same bike will vary dyno to dyno, day to day. Still...

Jim is Cool
05-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Mike's got a dyno printout in his photo gallery showing that he just kissed 90hp.

Jim - I know dynos are best suited for showing relative gains due to mods, etc. Numbers for the same bike will vary dyno to dyno, day to day. Still...

True, but to really see what happened, you need to have a "before" and "after", preferably on the same day, or at least with the same correction value on the same Dyno.

BTW, "correction" is fun to play with, you can make any bike look like it has 200hp.

Just wanted bring this up, I know how everyone gets when they start comparing dyno numbers and throwing out Hp figures :)

DRS
05-28-2004, 08:41 PM
i saw two 748's go on the dyno at cycle barn's open house a few weeks back, they hit 83 and 85 but their dyno up there is supposed to be low by 8-10 hp.

Torben
05-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Just wanted bring this up, I know how everyone gets when they start comparing dyno numbers and throwing out Hp figures

Yeah it turns into a big testosterone festival :D I'm sure there will be lots of "fishing" stories at the end of the day, unlike our Monday ride report :p

DJS
05-29-2004, 09:58 AM
drs, the first one to roll on the dyno up there at the Barn was mine, 85 rwhp :). I had never seen a dyno run and it was free so I thought why the heck not. Not knowing what was good or not I was a bit disappointed because I was comparing the #'s to the Ducati post from a few years back. Then on Tuesday, I think it was Cindesmo that pointed out that the poster might indicate at the crank hp.

mike
05-29-2004, 12:05 PM
I would guess crank HP, recalculated for "ideal conditions". (temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, airflow, etc.)

DRS
05-29-2004, 06:23 PM
drs, the first one to roll on the dyno up there at the Barn was mine, 85 rwhp :). I had never seen a dyno run and it was free so I thought why the heck not. Not knowing what was good or not I was a bit disappointed because I was comparing the #'s to the Ducati post from a few years back. Then on Tuesday, I think it was Cindesmo that pointed out that the poster might indicate at the crank hp.

i was the guy right behind you on the 996; i only hit 107 :mad:

DJS
05-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Ya, I saw that on the board and was thinking that was a bit low for 99x. I think what other people say is the dyno at CB is off by a bit. Did you ever do it before? What were you #'s?

Jim is Cool
05-29-2004, 08:12 PM
I was there last year and it seemed to be low as well as all over the board, I think a lot of bikes were spinning on the drum.

That being said, my z50a put out 7hp on it and I thought it would put out about 2-3 more than that :)

foggy123
05-29-2004, 09:38 PM
My bike is being dyno tuned right now so will have a number to compare.

Dave R
05-29-2004, 11:13 PM
The Dyno will be provided by:
http://www.riccimotorsports.com
I will try and find out brand of Dyno as well, I do not believe it is a DynoJet but is a SuperFlow. Most can offer a "corrected" DynoJet number for braggin' rights. :rolleyes: There will be prizes for best in each class (M,SBK, SS, ST and MTS). Ducati Seattle is also planning a bike show in front of the store! classes TBD. We're talking to our neighbors (Jillians, Beppo's Outback and Bonefish) to offer up some prizes for the bike show.
If you were thinking about putting some pipes on, get it done before the 19th !! See what the gains are ?? Give Kevin in service a call and he will do his best to get you in before the day and help get you some more umph !

DRS
05-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Ya, I saw that on the board and was thinking that was a bit low for 99x. I think what other people say is the dyno at CB is off by a bit. Did you ever do it before? What were you #'s?
that was the first time i had ever put it on a dyno; i've only had the bike 2 months. plus i had a brand spankin new tire on as well; that most likely contributed to a lower run. oh well, it still screams, high dyno or not. :D

lates.....