PDA

View Full Version : 996/S4R gas mileage...

RockStar
02-21-2006, 12:15 PM
My idea for this thread question grew from a post I made on the DML. I thought it more appropriate here due to the cross format of bikes it addresses.

It seems that with constant altitude (i.e. the PNW) and some proper maintenance the best gas mileage for my '05 S4R with a full Arrow exhaust is a whopping 77m/tank......

So I'm dying to know what the gas mileage is from those who have ridden a 996 SBK....

thanks ya'll!

Torben
02-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Dunno, but on my 749 I get about 110 miles from a tank. I've pushed it to 120 but I get scared

martino
02-21-2006, 12:55 PM
I am doing easily above 100 miles on 2002 S4 with Leo Vince cans (no PCIII); sometimes 120.

Rotten Randy
02-21-2006, 02:16 PM
I've pushed my S4R w/ Arrows from Cougar, all the way up to the end of Windy Ridge and back. Round trip is 120 miles. And I wasn't riding for optimal gas mileage. I wouldn't do it alone though..

Sharkey
02-21-2006, 02:39 PM
My ST2 with Arrows I stretched to 130.

S

kamran
02-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Sorry for diverting, but can anyone actually get the listed number of galons in their tanks? I've found to get to the listed capacity, you'd have to completely fill the tank up. However, the manual recommends to NOT fill above the filler recess (the little piece of pipe).

My tank is supposed to get 3.8 gals, but filling to the recommended level, I can't possibly get more than 3 gals. Any idea??? :confused:

RockStar
02-21-2006, 02:50 PM
I've pushed my S4R w/ Arrows from Cougar, all the way up to the end of Windy Ridge and back. Round trip is 120 miles. And I wasn't riding for optimal gas mileage. I wouldn't do it alone though..Wow! that's the consensus on the Ducat Monster List....there is no consensus!

Ok Randy...since we have identical bikes (give or take) let me ask you this: When was the last time you had the throttle bodies tuned?
Are you using a Power Commander?
Are you using the stock Eprom or the ARROW Eprom?
There's gotta be a common variable (mechanix can chime in any time ;)

Rotten Randy
02-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Motocorsa adjusted the throttle bodies when they installed the Arrows. The bike was brand new at the time. I had them installed before I took delivery in fact. No PC or upgraded Eprom etc to date. When I made that run up to Windy Ridge the bike had about 4K on her. She runs well and I don't need any more power from her since she's my street bike.

RockStar
02-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Motocorsa adjusted the throttle bodies when they installed the Arrows. The bike was brand new at the time. I had them installed before I took delivery in fact. No PC or upgraded Eprom etc to date. When I made that run up to Windy Ridge the bike had about 4K on her. She runs well and I don't need any more power from her since she's my street bike.I see that the boys at Motocorsa like the Blue and White ;) They put mine together as well. Great guys in the shop there. I'll check with those gentlemen and post back to update this thread.

We'll have to ride these beastly twins side by side one of these days Man.:evilgrin3

Thanks dude.

Kamran - I thought Ducati listed the tank volume on the specs page for each model bike. I know I've read it somewhere like that.....

Rotten Randy
02-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Maybe we can meet in Cougar since it's a close half way spot? IIRC the tank volume is 3.9 gals...

RockStar
02-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Maybe we can meet in Cougar since it's a close half way spot? IIRC the tank volume is 3.9 gals...Word. or a PIR track day. ;)

martino
02-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Oh, mine was on empty :D. Actuall I am filling mine up a bit below the filler recess or it will leak; I am sick of people pointing to the leaks at the stop lights.

Sorry for diverting, but can anyone actually get the listed number of galons in their tanks? I've found to get to the listed capacity, you'd have to completely fill the tank up. However, the manual recommends to NOT fill above the filler recess (the little piece of pipe).

My tank is supposed to get 3.8 gals, but filling to the recommended level, I can't possibly get more than 3 gals. Any idea??? :confused:

RockStar
02-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Oh, mine was on empty :D. Actuall I am filling mine up a bit below the filler recess or it will leak; I am sick of people pointing to the leaks at the stop lights.are you talking about quantity of espresso or petrol? LOL:tongue10:

Rotten Randy
02-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Word. or a PIR track day. ;)

I'm planning on several PIR track days on my new and not yet taken delivery of '06 GSX-R 750... :happy44:

I'll be going to Miller Motorsports Park in May w/Cascade tracktime, a Pacific day w/ PSSR in August I think, and T-Hill w/ PSSR in October. Liberal sprinkling of PIR between all of those days :D

swassociates
02-21-2006, 04:04 PM
My knees wear out at about 75 miles. Plenty of gas left in the tank.

RockStar
02-21-2006, 04:32 PM
My knees wear out at about 75 miles. Plenty of gas left in the tank.Well that makes sense then. Thanks Scott.

After getting 150mi/tank on the 748 I was a little taken aback at the beasts' appetite.:happy57:

rock n' roll.

yo_eddy
02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
I get mid to high 80's if I'm lucky on my S4R. Arrow full system PCIII, semi stock map.

martino
02-21-2006, 07:03 PM
that would be beer from the night before :happy57:

are you talking about quantity of espresso or petrol? LOL:tongue10:

kamran
02-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Oh, mine was on empty :D. Actuall I am filling mine up a bit below the filler recess or it will leak; I am sick of people pointing to the leaks at the stop lights.

Ian, how many gallons can you get in your tank (keeping the gas level just below the recess)? Can you get more than 3 gallons?

I think if you switch from the stock gas cap, you'll eliminate the leak.

martino
02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Kamran,

the leak takes place on my S4 and I will check the volume of gas next time I be filling up. The leak started happeneing after eliminating emission eval charcoal device.

I just did the same on my 749S (due to the frame sliders installation) and wonder if this will create similar problem. The cap has not arrived yet. I can check the fuel volume on 749 before and after the gas cap change if you are interested.
BTW, Kevlar had a very similar leak problem on his 999R (not sure iof he removed the charcoal emission unit).

Ian, how many gallons can you get in your tank (keeping the gas level just below the recess)? Can you get more than 3 gallons?

I think if you switch from the stock gas cap, you'll eliminate the leak.

kamran
02-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Kamran,

the leak takes place on my S4 and I will check the volume of gas next time I be filling up. The leak started happeneing after eliminating emission eval charcoal device.

I just did the same on my 749S (due to the frame sliders installation) and wonder if this will create similar problem. The cap has not arrived yet. I can check the fuel volume on 749 before and after the gas cap change if you are interested.
BTW, Kevlar had a very similar leak problem on his 999R (not sure iof he removed the charcoal emission unit).
I'd be interested to klnow how many gallons you can fit in the 749.
So you are actually getting a leak from the fuel injection, or where? Because the stock caps leak a little if you over fill.

martino
02-21-2006, 10:57 PM
I'd be interested to klnow how many gallons you can fit in the 749.

So you are actually getting a leak from the fuel injection, or where? Because the stock caps leak a little if you over fill.
The leak is from what is called a filter/fuel tank outlet pipe. This pipe was originally connected to the charcoal unit. It is now hanging loose. It is attached to the tank at the same elevation as the breather pipe. Fortunately, none of my stock caps leak. Actually Gman's 3rd party cap on his 748 leaks while the stock one is sealed perfectly. Go figure :(.

beyote
02-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Do you guys have different gearing ratios?? Those mpt figures are so off from one another that it is scaring me to think of doing some touring rides down 101 on the new S4R.

I haven't seen my own bike yet, let alone ridden it, so I can't contribute to the mpt answers, but going from roughly 75 - 110, is a staggering difference!!!

I am concerned. I wanted the S4R as a cafe racer type "streetbike", not a gas station to gas station bike.

Rotten Randy
02-21-2006, 11:13 PM
My gearing is stock.

martino
02-22-2006, 12:35 AM
I went up 2 or 3 on rear sprocket. Looks like most of the older models 900 +/- are just about the same (100 miles and above on a tank). Is there anyone with S4R that goes above 100 on a single tank?

My gearing is stock.

martino
02-22-2006, 12:38 AM
I guess Rotten Randy is one of them. In this case it's just you RockStar that needs to visit the doctor or get yourself a gasolinhe canister :D.

I went up 2 or 3 on rear sprocket. Looks like most of the older models 900 +/- are just about the same (100 miles and above on a tank). Is there anyone with S4R that goes above 100 on a single tank?

Gman
02-22-2006, 08:51 AM
I am with Ian on the 02 S4 (with PCIII though), I push it until about 115 (if need be) and then fill up.

On the 748 I think I get better fuel mileage, maybe 145 / tank with freeway riding. Geared quite differently now and some perf mods, so this might change.

G

RockStar
02-22-2006, 09:29 AM
I went up 2 or 3 on rear sprocket. Looks like most of the older models 900 +/- are just about the same (100 miles and above on a tank). Is there anyone with S4R that goes above 100 on a single tank?There are one or two folks on the DML who get 110mpt or so. I'll post this question there. If your interested the Thread there is under Tech and with a similar titile. Though I get more focused and technical responses here....

I have stock sprocket and gearing. Interesting.

So maybe the answer is indeed a larger rear sprocket and a PCIII, at least for my in town cafe racing, aye Ian? lol

Zach
02-22-2006, 10:34 AM
If your Monster has a steel gas tank as opposed to plastic I believe there is a black rubber grommet just inside the filler. It's a coupla inches long. On my 900SS it would never stay on, I always found it in the bottom of my tank. But, I found I could get at least another half gallon of fuel in w/o it. I've filled my tank completely full with a few drops overflowing. The over flow just spills out onto the ground via a drain tube that used to be hooked up to the evap system which was tossed long ago. Ducati says not to overfill it mainly due to the evap system. But, if your bike is still under warranty, there *may* be issues with removing, YMMV. Out on the open road I can pretty much always get 180 miles per tank when getting on it pretty good. Easily 200+ when I'm taking it relatively easy & trying to get to a far away destination/state. Around town the low fuel light goes on at 145-150 miles.

Cheers,
Zach

RockStar
02-22-2006, 11:21 AM
If your Monster has a steel gas tank as opposed to plastic I believe there is a black rubber grommet just inside the filler. It's a coupla inches long. On my 900SS it would never stay on, I always found it in the bottom of my tank. But, I found I could get at least another half gallon of fuel in w/o it. I've filled my tank completely full with a few drops overflowing. The over flow just spills out onto the ground via a drain tube that used to be hooked up to the evap system which was tossed long ago. Ducati says not to overfill it mainly due to the evap system. But, if your bike is still under warranty, there *may* be issues with removing, YMMV. Out on the open road I can pretty much always get 180 miles per tank when getting on it pretty good. Easily 200+ when I'm taking it relatively easy & trying to get to a far away destination/state. Around town the low fuel light goes on at 145-150 miles.

Cheers,
ZachOn an S4R?! 145mpt is as yet....unheard of.

Perhaps we need a Zach tech night? :happy44:

martino
02-22-2006, 11:26 AM
This must be the cause for a leak; mine grommet must be dingling inside the tank. 150 to 200 mpt is almost as good as the Audi A8 V8 Turbo 800 mile trip on a single 19 gallon tank (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6784354703472305949&q=top+gear).

Cheers,
Zach

Rotten Randy
02-22-2006, 11:28 AM
FWIW when I made that run up from Cougar to Windy Ridge and back I was riding with some fricken maniacs and we were riding very fast. So fast in fact that I chose to turn it back a notch. Some of the guys had their pucks down and I thought it was too quick of a pace for the street. Through all of it I got 120 miles out of my tank so I'm comfortable riding that distance on one tankful now.

RockStar
02-22-2006, 11:43 AM
That's right RR, I remember now you had said that.

So we'll just burn dinosaurs like crazy trying to get more cappucino's in town.

I'm ok with that:evilgrin3

pkclark1
02-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Out on the open road I can pretty much always get 180 miles per tank when getting on it pretty good. Easily 200+ when I'm taking it relatively easy & trying to get to a far away destination/state. Around town the low fuel light goes on at 145-150 miles.

Cheers,
Zach
Holy Crap Batman! My ST4 won't even come close to that, 140 is the max I have ever gotten. 120 is the 'norm'.
You sure your speedo/odo isn't reading in km/hr? :p

beast1210
02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
03' monster 620 3.9 gal, .9 is reserve, k&n filter, leo's, I get 110miles when reserve light kickes on, but on some road trips pushed it to 164 miles before gas. And still filled it with 3.3 gal. Always double check your air pressure. My two cents.

yo_eddy
02-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Do you guys have different gearing ratios??

Used to be stock, but I just went up a couple in the back. Haven't noticed an appreciable difference either way.

I don't fill it to the gills, so if I kept it upright at the pump rather than the stand, I'd probably squeeze a few more miles out of it. I get the warning light within 5 miles of 80 filling in this way. I don't mess with the light. The mileage I get after it comes on has been variable, and I've ended up walking before.

bob wells
02-22-2006, 09:07 PM
My 05 S2R 800 gets 110 miles when fuel light comes on. With warm weather might effect choke application. Never have tried to stretch it! It has plastic tank.

Aloha
Bob

Mat
02-23-2006, 06:57 AM
ST3 around the US (9K miles) with overloaded side and top box and my tootsie on the back going faster than was wise most of the time.....mostly long stretches (Hwy 2 was special) averaged 47mpg. 160 miles to the yellow light, pushed it over 200 twice. I love the big tank.
To and from work.... about 42.

Stefan
02-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey... I added together my gas receipts for my stock 05 S4R; the milage is in the range of 28-29 MPG.

The fuel light comes on when there are 0.9 gallons left, so at ~85 miles into a topped-off tank, and I'd run dry at ~110 miles. I tend to get the yellow light at roughly 70 miles, fill at 75-77 miles, never put more than 2.8 gallons in at one time.

I've also asked at the dealership, they said to expect the 30 MPG ballpark.

Seems like this fits the other numbers, right? Some of us are driving more aggressively, some filling the tank earlier - except, I want to know how to get 140 :D

First post btw - this board seems rather cool. Cheers all.

RockStar
02-24-2006, 11:13 AM
First post btw - this board seems rather cool. Cheers all.Welcome! and I'd say that qualifies for one of the all time great first posts!:happy36:

cheers.

wwahl
02-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Urs and I get up to 250 miles per tank on the ST-4s. For some reason being two up gives us better aerodynamics? This is based upon the speedometer readings and not a GPS. The bike has DP slip-ons from a previous ST-4 we owned. I am running a 15-43 sprocket combination. We also have a large top box. The tires are Avon Azzaros with 39 lbs in the rear and 36 lbs. in the front. The rear tire is slightly smaller with a 170 aspect ratio vs. a 180 that it comes with.
Ciao!
Bill