PDA

View Full Version : How hard is this switch to make?

beyote
02-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Does anyone have one? I am not the most electrically inclined person, and would just rather make an out of sight switch, with the same purpose, but on the side, under the tank of my S4R.

How would I go about making one?

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=139|Ducati%20Elect rical&productID=2165&showdetail=1&categoryID=512|Ducati%20OEM%20Handlebars%20%26%20C ontrols&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts&collection=

Thanks in advance.

ducmons
02-28-2006, 11:19 AM
that euro switch has multiple purposes. what are you trying to accomplish? are you wanting to clean up the look and remount that to a different location? or are you just wanted one of the features (not sure which one that would be) to be in a different spot.

i personally think you need keep it where you have access to the lights and horn with the thumb, but you can remount the horn to the side of the frame, like my dad did on our old Renault 12, and we put the horn on the steering column where our knee could activate it. Yeah, it was great !!!

beyote
02-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Now that is funny.

All I really want to do is to create a toggle switch to cut the headlights so when I start the engine, I will have more available amperage.

ducmons
02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Now that is funny.

All I really want to do is to create a toggle switch to cut the headlights so when I start the engine, I will have more available amperage.

i see what you mean. a toggle switch is quite simple to rig up.

You'll need:
1) Wiring diagram and find the power lead to the light switch
2) Decide where your toggle will go, and make any mounting brackets (do not mount toggle at this time)
2) Disconnect battery
3) Cut power lead wire and peel back ends.
4) Slide your heat shrink tubing over both ends of the wire
5) Soder connector for toggle switch, or hard wire (with sodder) to toggle switch.
6) Put some dielectric grease on the terminals you soddered
7) Slide heat shrink tubing back over terminals and apply heat from heat gun (or hair dryer)
8) Mount your toggle and make sure it works.

That's what I'd do. I have the Euro style swich on my 998, and i never turn off the lights. Your bike should have enough amperage to do anything you need.

Are you having problems with a dead bettery when try to start it?

beyote
02-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Ducmons, you are the man.

I am not having any current issues with the Duc, as I haven't even touched the thing in person yet!! LOL.

I bought it Feb 10th from Arun at Motocorse, and am stoked.

I am currently at Camp Virginia in Kuwait, after leaving FOB Liberty in Baghdad, Iraq. I am in an advanced party to get my units equipment accepted at the port here, and have some time on my hands to shop for my new Baby.

I was just at the Motowheels website and saw the switch. I have heard alot of negative things about the Duc's electricals, and thought the switch made sense.

Right now, all I can do is window shop and dream in my cot. I have bought some smaller items, and can't wait to get on the cafe' racer that I will turn her into.

Also, with all this time on my hands, I have made routes with an atlas and 06 will be my year to ride all around the Pac NW. I can't wait.

I love this site as well, and appreciate your help, and everyone else's as well.

Thanks. I guess this turned out to be a long reply, with a little added info for clarification. LOL.

ducmons
02-28-2006, 11:45 AM
glad you are getting some time for yourself.

so what bike did you get?

depending on who you talk to, many bad things can and have, and probably will be said about electrical components on our bikes, but none the less, if taken care of properly, everything should work fine.

beyote
03-01-2006, 03:02 AM
I am picking up an 05 all black S4R.

While here, I had a horrible debate going.

The choices were:

Factory
2006 ZX10R
or
Magni converted from a used Guzzi
S4R/S4RS
or an old R69-R90-R100 turned cafe.

I already have a 929, so the decision was leaning towards a cafe racer to give variation.

I will get another Italian Sportbike later.

limey
03-01-2006, 09:07 PM
:happy44:
Now that is funny.

I used the Euro switch, plug n play. Dont hack anything, dont have to think about it, very easy and its made by Ducati for Ducati. :happy36: