PDA

View Full Version : Front disc issue resolved (for now)

Jasper
04-09-2006, 05:22 PM
I had some pretty severe pulsing when clamping hard on the binders and got some good tips here so I thought I'd share what I found. I got to wondering why so many of these seem to be warping so yesterday I put a dial indicator on the works to see how bad it was and if it was the rotor. I wondered if the carriers could be warped instead. Yep, one was. It was off by about 2/10th of a mm.

I "fine tuned" it with a mallet and wooden dowel, not an exact science mind you, but I got it within .05. I also cleaned the pads, seems to be made of mostly brass, but plenty of meat left. I think I'll go for some softer organic guys because the rotors are just below 4mm in thickness,
minimum is 3.6.

I just got back from a coast run and can say it is much better, I can barely feel any pulsing now. It was bad enough to make it unpleasant before.

I don't know if the carrier was bent somehow or if they are prone to warping under heat. Time will tell. If it does it again I'll look into new rotors with better carriers. I think Ducati was overzealous in weight savings here, it really did not take that much to "adjust" it.

Mat
04-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Please post a 1,000 mile report on your rotor 'fix'.
If what you have done corrects the problem, a lot
of people will want to try it. Brembo continues to
replace under warranty without so much as a suggested
cause of the problem.