PDA

View Full Version : Thread Split: Exploring in BC & Alberta

mikimoto
07-12-2004, 04:35 PM
I'd like to do some more exploring in BC & Alberta. Canadians seem to drive a little more attentive & I notice more sport/sport touring riders loaded up with camping gear, not the typical cruiser crowds we have here. Northern Cal (via central Oregon) deserves another few trips as well :)

Cheers,
Zach
'99 900SS yellow h/f

Zach - if you decide to hit Whistler BC, take care in the summer as that area is heavily patrolled. But it sounds worth it, as they say Whistler's got great twisties and beautiful views.

Miki

Torben
07-12-2004, 04:40 PM
It does have great twisties but be forwarned - they are doing a lot of road work on the sea-to-sky highway over the next little while in preparation for the winter olympics in 2010 in Whistler.
I believe part of the work involves taking out some of the most fun sweepers cuz cagers and tour busses can't handle them without crashing :rolleyes:

Bill Anderson
07-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Zach - if you decide to hit Whistler BC, take care in the summer as that area is heavily patrolled. But it sounds worth it, as they say Whistler's got great twisties and beautiful views.

Miki

I rode up to Whistler with a group last year. I can't say I was that impressed with the twisties on the Sea to Ski Hwy. although the scenery is nice. Those that have been there say the real ride is north of Whistler between Pemberton and Lillooet: curves so tight that trailers are not allowed on the road.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.

Apostate
07-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Those that have been there say the real ride is north of Whistler between Pemberton and Lillooet: curves so tight that trailers are not allowed on the road.
Bill Anderson (02-ST4s) Edmonds, WA.
Indeed! I was on that road several years ago. It is VERY nice! Great scenery, great road, little traffic. Especially if you go all the way up to Lillooet.

Zach
07-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I'd like to do a about a 4 day loop around BC before the weather turns bad in a coupla months. Maybe leave late in the evening or really early in the morning to get north of Whistler & hopefully have it timed right to miss traffic & construction. I'd like to work my way up to Jasper & ride south to Banff. That's an incredible place to ride, all those glaciers & rivers & mountains. From Banff work my way back west on familiar roads through Golden, Rogers, Revelstoke, you know, all those fun places to ride.

Oh, and moto-camp along the way :)

Anyone interested?

-Zach

darkduc
07-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Zach,

That area is truly magnificent! I wish I could do that with you. Enjoy!

charon
07-14-2004, 04:45 PM
I'd like to do a about a 4 day loop around BC before the weather turns bad in a coupla months. Maybe leave late in the evening or really early in the morning to get north of Whistler & hopefully have it timed right to miss traffic & construction. I'd like to work my way up to Jasper & ride south to Banff. That's an incredible place to ride, all those glaciers & rivers & mountains. From Banff work my way back west on familiar roads through Golden, Rogers, Revelstoke, you know, all those fun places to ride.

Oh, and moto-camp along the way :)

Anyone interested?

-Zach

looks awesome Zach! I'm _potentially_ interested. When were you thinking of going?

about how many miles is that loop?

Zach
07-14-2004, 04:53 PM
It really is fantastic riding up there. My first ride up to Banff was 3 summers ago. I can't remember the reason I decided on Banff, maybe it was that I'd been through there in JrHi school on a church youth group trip. I remember it being incredibly beautiful, just had to go refresh my memory.

On my way back home I was taking a rest/gas stop in Cranbook & started up a conversation with a fellow from Calgary. He was on a VFR750 heading home as well. He told me he took as many 4 day weekends from work possible during the summer, touring BC. I was pointed to some of his favorite roads in BC & a month later I went back up to Banff with a coupla friends in tow. At a gas station in Lake Louise we were taking a break after riding to Jasper & back from Banff. Well, the same VFR rider pulls in, amazing! We chatted it up & again talked BC roads. Eventually we parted ways & unfortunately I haven't been back. Wonder if we'll meet up again? Guess I need to go do some riding up there & found out huh?

phildo
07-14-2004, 04:56 PM
That would be a GREAT ride! I have been up to Jasper the last two years mountain biking. Once you get north of Whistler things really open up. It's just beautiful. The Icefield parkway that runs between jasper nad Banff has got to be one of the most spectaular roads on this planet. I would love to join you guys if the timeing works out.

Zach
07-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Maybe one of the last weekends of August? My plan is to do a lot of riding during daylight hours (night riding if necessary) & then find a place to set up my tent towards the end of the day/early evening. Dirtball mode for 4 days...sounds fun huh?

Zach

phildo
07-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Yeah, that does sound fun! I always camp when I go up there, it's the best way to soak up all that beautiful nature stuff. Had a HUGE bear wounder into camp last year...It was great;-)
Let me know when you decide on the 4days there's a pretty good chance I'll be able to join you. That's a good time of year for Jasper the tourest crowd is starting to clear out by then. My buddy's gradmother lives up there and he was saying he needed to go visit. Might be able to get him to drive his truck and haul all the gear;-)

Zach
07-15-2004, 07:12 PM
I'll post when I figure out which weekend I can get outta here. I assume it'd be best to do a 4 day weekend? Heck, maybe leave Friday afternoon, find a place to camp near Whistler...then start the real ride Saturday a.m.? Something like that?

Zach

Nathan Reynolds
07-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Spent a couple of days on "The Crow's Nest" Highway 3 in B.C. We went east to west after crossing over north of Colville. After crossing int B.C. we hit the #1 road in B.C.( as rated in Destination Highways). Highway 3 essentially follows the U.S.\ B.C. border. Great roads, beautiful scenery, nice drivers(when we saw one). Awesome trip!!!

sim
07-16-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm interested in joining this campaign as well.