PDA

View Full Version : How many accidents?

Sharkey
04-19-2006, 10:35 AM
I was curious about how many accidents that have occured so far this year. More than I really wanted to know about. Be safe people and watch out for the cages, they dont seem to have a motive this year, they just hit and run.

All stories are from www.heraldnet.com.

S

Friends, teacher mourn student
Tony Hull, who died in a motorcycle accident Monday, was in the welding program at Everett Community College.

EVERETT - Tony Hull was starting a new quarter Monday at Everett Community College and another part of the journey to improve his life.

He was working to earn a high school diploma and an associate's degree while enrolled in the school's welding program. He had impressed his teachers with his drive to make a difference in his life.

"He was making an effort to better himself," said Dan Minzel, head of the college's welding program. "He wanted to get a decent job that paid a living wage. He was here for self-improvement."

Hull, 18, died Monday just a block from the college, the Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office reported Tuesday.

He suffered fatal injuries after his motorcycle collided with a car in the intersection of Colby Avenue and Eighth Street. The force of the crash spun the car around and crumpled the motorcycle.

Hull died at the scene.

The car's driver was not injured, nor was Hull's friend who was riding on a separate motorcycle at the time of the crash.

Police believe Hull was likely speeding. The cause of the accident, however, remained under investigation Tuesday.

The college offered counseling services to students on campus Tuesday, the second day of spring quarter.

Hull was part of the tight-knit group of students in the welding program, Minzel said. Students spend five to six hours a day with each other and develop tight bonds, the instructor said.

"It's a tragic situation. I feel for his family and his friends," Minzel said.

A small memorial of candles, flowers and baseball caps was set up on the curb near the site of the accident Tuesday.

Friends flooded Hull's online journal, remembering a young man they described as a practical joker with a great sense of humor, who was quick to support others.

Motorcyclist is injured, driver of van flees scene

EVERETT - A man was seriously injured Friday when the motorcycle he was driving was struck by a van, Everett police reported.

The man, who suffered significant fractures, was being treated at Providence Everett Medical Center's Colby campus, Everett firefighters said.

The accident occurred about 6 p.m. when both vehicles were traveling on 52nd Street SE and the van clipped the motorcycle at Claremont Way, Everett police said.

Witnesses said the van sped away, driving in a reckless manner. One witness followed the van, which went five or six blocks before it was abandoned. Police impounded the van and the motorcycle.

Lynnwood man injured when motorcycle hits car

LYNNWOOD - A 25-year-old man on a motorcycle was injured Thursday when he crashed into the back of a car that was making a right-hand turn, Snohomish County Sheriff's Office spokesman Rich Niebusch said.

The man, who lives in Lynnwood, was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with head injuries. He was in stable condition late Thursday.

The man was riding his motorcycle behind a car westbound on Lincoln Way about 11:45 a.m. when the car slowed to turn into a driveway. The motorcycle crashed into the back of the car and the man flew forward, hitting his head on the car, Niebusch said.

Investigators believe the man's helmet came off during the collision.

Motorcyclist dies after crash
Witnesses say Lynnwood man ran a stop sign and hit SUV

LYNNWOOD - A motorcyclist was fatally injured Friday morning when he slammed into a Ford Explorer carrying a woman and a toddler.

The motorcyclist, a 22-year-old man from Lynnwood, was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he died Friday evening.

Lynnwood police officer Scott Dilworth photographs the scene of a motorcycle accident on 202nd Street SW in Lynnwood Friday. With him is traffic Sgt. Wayne Davis.
He suffered head injuries despite wearing a helmet, Lynnwood Police Department spokeswoman Shannon Sessions said.

Witnesses said the man was traveling west on 202nd Street SW when he went through a stop sign at the intersection of 60th Avenue W. and crashed into the Explorer, Sessions said.

The Explorer then ran into a tree on the corner. The woman driving the Explorer was taken to Stevens Hospital in Edmonds and was treated for broken glass in her eyes. The toddler was not injured.

Police closed streets around the scene for more than two hours while they investigated the accident.

Police are trying to determine how fast the motorcycle was traveling. Witnesses said the man appeared to be speeding, Sessions said.

Crash victim not happy with driver's sentence

TACOMA - A judge who sentenced a high school football coach to three months of work-release confinement for causing a car accident said he was impressed by the man's previous service to the community.

The victim in the crash didn't want to hear it.

"I'm broke from my ankles to my neck," Christopher Butts said after Thursday's sentencing hearing, which he called "insulting to me and my family."

Bethel High School football coach Eric Kurle pleaded guilty to one count of vehicular assault last year. Kurle's blood alcohol level was about twice the legal limit when his SUV struck Butts' motorcycle. Butts spent 19 days in the hospital.

Motorcyclist dies after hitting a car in Everett

EVERETT - A 53-year-old Everett man died late Monday afternoon when the motorcycle he was riding collided with a car driven by a 32-year-old Arlington man.

The man, riding a Harley Davidson, was northbound on Rucker Avenue about 4 p.m. when he collided with a late-model Kia sedan westbound on 33rd Street.

The Everett man died at the scene. No identification was available Monday night.

Rucker was closed between 32nd and 34th streets until shortly after 6 p.m.

The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office will determine manner and cause of death. Everett Police Department Traffic Collision Unit detectives are investigating.

Witnesses to the accident should contact the Everett police tip line at 425-257-8450.

Motorcyclist is fatally hurt in crash with car

Rescue workers examine the wreckage of a motorcycle that struck a car in Edmonds Friday.
EDMONDS - A man riding a motorcycle was fatally injured when he crashed into a car that was leaving a driveway.

The man, 33, of Arlington was riding east in the 9700 block of Edmonds Way when he struck the car about 3:47 p.m. Friday, according to the Edmonds Police Department.

The man was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he died Friday. Police have not released the man's name.

Traffic was detoured around the scene while police investigated the accident.

Car strikes man on motorcycle, then drives off

LYNNWOOD - An Everett man was injured when a car knocked him off his motorcycle on I-5 early Wednesday. The car then drove off.

The motorcyclist, in his 40s, was southbound in the carpool lane near 164th Street SW about 6:35 a.m. when the car pulled in front of him and struck his motorcycle, Washington State Patrol Trooper Tim Crane said.

The car drove away as the man crashed. Both of his ankles were broken, and he also suffered other broken bones, Crane said. He was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

The State Patrol is investigating the incident as a felony hit-and-run and is looking for a light blue or silver passenger car with clear, after-market taillight lenses. The vehicle probably would have damage on its rear passenger side from hitting the motorcycle, Crane said. The burgundy-colored motorcycle might also have left some paint on the car, he said.

The carpool lane was closed for about two hours near 164th Street SW while troopers investigated the crash.

Mitch
04-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Yikes! Sobering, is that a compilation of accidents just for 2006 and only in the north end?

It seemed like the "at fault" ratio was about 50/50.

The hit and run, drunk driver are particularly scary! :eek: How do you avoid that?

Rear ending a right turning car in front of you :confused: You should really know your abilities/control your bike better than that IMHO. Speeding appeared to be a frequent cause when the motorcyclist was at fault. A good reminder to save that extra speed for the track.

Stay safe, and remember to wear all your gear! (just in case)

Sharkey
04-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Well I did a search at the website which threw up a load of rubbish, but I was amazed at how many I didn't hear on any news. I think its just in and around the Northend.

I think its pretty much 50/50 as you said, I was just surprised at the number. Also those drivers knocking people off need to be dealt with more than a few months community service.

Its just a reminder that although you dont see them on the news accidents are happening everyday.

Be safe peoples.

S

ijji
04-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Speaking of non-news worthy accidents, there was a 2 bike/3 ambulance accident involving two sport bikes on 405 & 520 this evening. I hope the two riders were ok. It looked like they were riding too close to the vehicle in front of them..... :( probably wont hear about this one on the news.

Sharkey
04-20-2006, 08:33 AM
I can't find any details on the accident, did you happen to find anything? I wonder if there is a website where all this is logged for public access.

S

RockStar
04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Talking offline Sharkey and I will be requesting reporting data to the club as it comes available from DOL and the Governor's Task Force on Motorcycle Safety. Fortunately this is receiving some visibility and attention from Gov. Gregoire (save your personal comments for some other thread).

In talking with my contacts at DOL we may also be able to get DOL to attend the Desmo Isle with outreach materials, data, and opportunities for advanced training classes, and opportunities to become instructors (paid) for some of these programs.

Below is some data for 2004. Please take all this seriously because interestingly we fit in the majority group by age regardless of what we typically ride:

Fatalities:

90% rider crossing the white/yellow line - of this number,
65% were Alcohol related - of this number,
50-60% excessive speed was a factor - of this number,....
38% had no endorsement

As predictable by stereotype one of the predominant groups by age were 25year old males

But what is disturbing is next:
45-60 males riding an array of bikes with cruisers being the most predominant

yarjammer
04-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Here's yet another one....

Road Rage Leads To Motorcycle Crash

April 23, 2006

By Associated Press

OLYMPIA - The State Patrol reports that two motorcyclists were injured after a vehicle involved in a road rage incident struck them on Interstate 5 near Olympia Saturday morning.

Troopers say two people were arrested following the crash, which blocked at least two northbound lanes at Exit 105 for more than three hours.

66-year-old Glenn Huff, of Olympia, was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he was listed in serious condition. A 40-year-old motorcylist was treated and released at Providence St. Peter Hospital in Olympia.

Troopers say the road rage incident began about 8:30 a.m. when two motorists began driving aggressively toward each other and displaying hand gestures as they merged from U.S. Highway 101 onto northbound Interstate 5.

33-year-old Allan Poor, of McCleary, was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving and two counts of vehicular assault. 40-year-old Connie Minton, of Shelton, was arrested for two counts of vehicular assault.

Both drivers were booked at the Thurston County Jail and were being held without bail.

Rev
04-23-2006, 04:49 PM
I saw the aftermath of the two sportbikes on 405 the other night. There were a lot of cars involved and the two sportbikes were parked up against the jersey barrier. One of them looked a little banged up. I hope they didn't cause the whole thing... unfortunately there are a lot of crazy riders out there that make us all look bad.

Just the night before in just about the same spot on 405 (just past Bellevue heading into Kirkland) was a yellow Duc (748 or 99x) wadded up pretty good. There was a state trooper and a DOT vehicle there and the guy looked alright, but it looked like he was mourning over the bike. Not sure what happened though.
Anyone know about this one? being one of our own and all.

Sharkey
04-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the additional info Rev and Yarjammer, but after a sunny weekend I am waiting for the extra influx of accident reports. I live not far from Highway 2 and hope the sirens are for things other than accidents.

Be safe guys.

S

ngng
04-23-2006, 09:26 PM
I saw the aftermath of the two sportbikes on 405 the other night. There were a lot of cars involved and the two sportbikes were parked up against the jersey barrier. One of them looked a little banged up. I hope they didn't cause the whole thing... unfortunately there are a lot of crazy riders out there that make us all look bad.

Just the night before in just about the same spot on 405 (just past Bellevue heading into Kirkland) was a yellow Duc (748 or 99x) wadded up pretty good. There was a state trooper and a DOT vehicle there and the guy looked alright, but it looked like he was mourning over the bike. Not sure what happened though.
Anyone know about this one? being one of our own and all.

he was probably mourning over his ticket :o

Sharkey
04-24-2006, 09:15 AM
How about this for a disturbing report, I somehow can't imagine how these figures add up? A third of these drivers had an accident, you would at least think they would be more attentive knowing they were being monitored :eek:

NHTSA, Virginia TechTransportation Institute Release Findings of Breakthrough Research on Real-World Driver Behavior, Distraction and Crash Factors
Driver inattention is the leading factor in most crashes and near-crashes, according to a landmark research report released today by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI).
Nearly 80 percent of crashes and 65 percent of near-crashes involved some form of driver inattention within three seconds before the event. Primary causes of driver inattention are distracting activities, such as cell phone use, and drowsiness.
“This important research illustrates the potentially dire consequences that can occur while driving distracted or drowsy. It’s crucial that drivers always be alert when on the road,” said Jacqueline Glassman, acting administrator of NHTSA. Her remarks were made during a news conference today at VTTI in Blacksburg, VA.
The 100-Car Naturalistic Driving Study tracked the behavior of the drivers of 100 vehicles equipped with video and sensor devices for more than one year. During that time, the vehicles were driven nearly 2,000,000 miles, yielding 42,300 hours of data. The 241 drivers of the vehicles were involved in 82 crashes, 761 near crashes, and 8,295 critical incidents.
“The huge database developed through this breakthrough study is enormously valuable in helping us to understand—and prevent—motor vehicle crashes,” said Dr. Tom Dingus, director of VTTI.
In addition, a follow-on analysis to the 100-Car Study has also been released. Focused on the types of driver inattention and their associated risk, key findings include:
• Drowsiness is a significant problem that increases a driver’s risk of a crash or near-crash by at least a factor of four. But drowsy driving may be significantly under-reported in police crash investigations.
• The most common distraction for drivers is the use of cell phones. However, the number of crashes and near-crashes attributable to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening.
• Reaching for a moving object increased the risk of a crash or near-crash by 9 times; looking at an external object by 3.7 times; reading by 3 times; applying makeup by 3 times; dialing a hand-held device (typically a cell phone) by almost 3 times; and talking or listening on a hand-held device by 1.3 times.
• Drivers who engage frequently in distracting activities are more likely to be involved in an inattention-related crash or near-crash. However, drivers are often unable to predict when it is safe to look away from the road to multi-task because the situation can change abruptly leaving the driver no time to react even when looking away from the forward roadway for only a brief time.
The 100-Car Study and its follow-on analysis were co-sponsored by NHTSA, the Virginia Transportation Research Council (the research division of the Virginia Department of Transportation) and Virginia Tech.

The background and results of both studies are available on NHTSA’s website under Research and Development at http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/nrd-13/newDriverDistraction.html