PDA

View Full Version : PRESS RELEASE - Fiat and Ducati

Torben
04-21-2006, 01:10 PM
The exclusive Panda Monster can only be discovered on the Net

The Panda Monster, which is the fruit of a partnership between FIAT and DUCATI and epitomizes Italian spirit and Italian cars around the world, is about to be launched. This Special Series will be a limited edition - with just 695 vehicles. Its design takes inspiration from the new Ducati Monster 695 motorbike which was given a worldwide preview last February at the ‘Moto Show’ in Paris.

So this really is an exclusive product and Fiat is willing to break away from traditional sales techniques for it. In fact, the Panda Monster is not available in car showrooms and there is just one way to get a better look at it. That is, as of April 20th, to hook up to the following web sites www.pandamonster.fiat.it or www.pandamonster.fiat.com. Here, the general public can access the photo gallery, find out about the car’s technical features and actually “see” the interior of the vehicle thanks to video footage and animation.

At this stage, if interested, the potential buyer can make an appointment at their nearest showroom by filling in a specific form requesting further information. However, given the extremely limited number of vehicles available, not everyone will be able to buy the car so we advise you to send the form off as soon as possible. The interested party, who will be contacted by the dealer, will be able to go to the showroom to find out more about this new vehicle and about its on the road cost (as a matter of fact the price is negotiable).

Those who buy the exclusive Panda Monster will receive an invitation (for 2 people) to “Mad for Motors” which will take place from the 9th to 11th June at the Santa Monica circuit in Misano Adriatico. What’s more Panda Monster owners will have the opportunity to go to the Fiat Style Centre in Turin to meet the designers who created this unique vehicle.

With its sinuous curves and feline bearing the Panda Monster is based on the 4x4 version (the best selling off-road vehicle in Italy). It also boasts a fantastic 70hp 1.3 Multijet engine and a wide variety of features unique to this model. From its automatic climate control system, to its hands free Bluetooth kit, to its radio with CD and MP3 player. The exterior of the vehicle is characterized by the “appealingly aggressive style” of the Ducati Monster. This look is also highlighted by its “rich black coat” and other stylistic features such as its external moulding, roof bars, air intake and the rim of its rear light clusters and headlights which are all rigorously black. All the rear windows are also dark in colour. In contrast, the grille and bumper are metallic in colour and the gold colour of the brake calipers can be seen through the alloys. The same sporty look is carried through to the car’s interior which boasts black leather and Alcantara Starlight upholstery. In a nutshell the Panda Monster is “Made in Italy” at its very best.

Bones
04-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Worst
Name
Evar

Jeremy
04-21-2006, 01:44 PM
The exterior of the vehicle is characterized by the “appealingly aggressive style” of the Ducati Monster. .

Riiiight. :indiffere

If ya get one of these you can go on a ski trip with your Ducati Tumi luggage in the back and Ducati Burton snowboard on top.

Coming soon...Ducai Ping golf clubs, Ducati Pamper diapers, and Ducati Maybeline mascara. :sign03:

Sharkey
04-21-2006, 01:44 PM
I remember the old Fiat Panda's and saying Panda Monster is like saying spacious Mini or well designed Skoda. Can they just remove the bike off the web page and hope people don't connect the two?

S

RockStar
04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
how about Ferrari Monster, Lamborghini Monster, etc...Monster Hummer.....but a Panda? did they not do research on the US market at all? Ford even changes the name of it's vehicles so they will sell overseas.

Granted that the Panda is a rather angry little beasty but in the States it's a cuddly little endangered teddy bear that has issues with breeding.

Not the image of a Ducati Monster in my mind.

but hey it probably gets great gas mileage...JD didn't you want to put a 748 engine in a go-kart? Here you go...we could put it in a Metro and race it against the Panda.....

martino
04-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Worse yet. Panda was really a piece of crap vehicle but yes it did have its audience and primairly agriculture people carrying pigs, chickens, barrels with wine, 1 million shoes to the flee market, etc in it (there were no pickup trucks at that time in Italy and I doubt there are many right now). So if the field worker could not afford the van he went for Panda. It also makes sense why they are 4X4 - so these guys can pass from one farm to the other. The small number of produced vehicles does not make it unique and when it's Panda it is a good idea to make that number very small - how about ZERO.

Two-Push
04-21-2006, 05:20 PM
The Italians seem to have a sense of style, second to none, yet some marketing ideas that seem really bizarre over here. I remember buying my last Alfa Romeo, an '86 "Graduate" Spider. A great car and a relative bargain, but, c'mon, trying to capitalize on a classic film, 20 years after it hit the theaters?

Be assured I immediately removed the "Graduate" badging and replaced some of them with the previous year's "Spider 2.0" badges and a set of Spider Veloce wheels. Hence, my "Post Graduate". Great car, by the way. Sort of wish I still had it.

ducmons
04-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I just hope the next release Ducati cross merchandising release doesn't have to do with John Deere. Can you imagine a 6.95hp Monster Mower? :happy57:

I like to see Ducati getting their name out there, but I'm still confused what Ducati has to do with Fiat, apart from the name "Monster" and the fact they will only be building 695 cars. :confused:

I think the European market will probably like it, but we're just used to the good ol' SUV's and big rigs of the sort. The tail lights remind me of the 4door Chevy (yes that was the actual name of the car and the brand in Mexico) that was released in Mexico about 6-7 years ago.

Torben
04-21-2006, 05:37 PM
vehicles in europe have more to do with space conservancy, fuel efficiency and mobility. rarely will you see a suburban, or for that matter anything approaching a jeep or explorer unless the person is very wealthy.
I don't endorse the styling or concept - just trying to keep the community up on the happenings of our monicker. At least it's not a 3-wheeled Mr Bean target :p

SennaST4s
04-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Riiiight. :indiffere

If ya get one of these you can go on a ski trip with your Ducati Tumi luggage in the back and Ducati Burton snowboard on top.:sign03:
Don't forget your Ducati Oakley Sunglasses on those nice sunny Spring day ripping it up in the mountains!!! I have a pair and they rock!! :happy57:

Mitch
04-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Looking at the title, I thought this was just another April fools joke. Please tell me it's all just a dream, we're not in Kansas anymore, are we Dorthy ...

Rockstar - +1, hell make it +1000. Of all the companies to tie in with, Ducati choses Fiat over Ferrari or Lamborghini? :mad: Seriously, what are they thinking? I guess something got lost in the translation on the way across the pond. I hope they're not that hard up for cash. :scared10:

To (loosely) quote the reviewer from the New York Times after testing the new Ford-Harley Davidson Special Edition Truck "I've never gotten this whole cross brand marketing concept, it's as if you're saying our produt isn't cool enough, so lets link it up with something that is" I remember thinking, I'm glad Ducati doesn't do stupid stuff like this!

Unless things are that different in Italy, I'm pretty sure Fiat is doing all of the siphoning off here.

Torben - We're not shooting the messenger, just astonished that our beloved company would have such poor judgement. I mean someone in marketing actually collected a paycheck for this decision? :fighting

Torben
04-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Torben - We're not shooting the messenger, just astonished that our beloved company would have such poor judgement. I mean someone in marketing actually collected a paycheck for this decision? :fighting Oh I know (on both counts) - I would wager that the majority of folks in North America find it unappealing. In Europe and other countries however it's another issue. Remember, Ducati is an Italian company with the majority of ownership in Europe. We are but a minor market and can't expect to understand or appreciate all of their marketing decisions.
I do, however agree it's not the most attractive vehicle on the planet, but then some Americans purchased AMC Gremlins:sign03:

ducmons
07-09-2006, 08:34 AM
I guess there is history between Fiat & Ducati.

Did you guys ever see this? :confused:
Its a Fiat 500 powered by a Ducati 999R Engine. (http://www.italiaspeed.com/2005/cars/fiat/08/prancing_mouse/1108.html)http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/fiat500canada/img/500-d-solalg.jpg

yarjammer
07-09-2006, 11:54 PM
:scared10: WTF!?! That is like the guy in my high school who dropped a heavily massaged L82 Corvette engine into a Monza.

limey
09-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I used to own a Fiat Panda 4x4 and it was a hoot. No acceleration, no topend, great fuel consumption, four wheel fun, almost unbreakable, almost. And just like the Monster it was painful on long rides.:happy57: