PDA

View Full Version : M-1 vs Pilot Power

Jeremy
05-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Has anyone ridden on both of these and have an opinion as to which they liked better? I commute in the rain, so wet weather performance is also a consideration...as well as the occasional trackday.

Thanks.

martino
05-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Jeremy,

I did a track day yesterday on Pilots and liked it a lot (not that I have much to say and compare to). BTW, the Michelin guy who approached us at the track recommended 35 front and 36 rear (I was 30 on both) and liked the selection of 180 rear (rather than 190). Gman was on Metzelers and loved it. The Honda guy was on Dunlops and loved it too. Chances are that at me level tire selection is not as important as at the intermediate or expert. Rain might be your big criteria. Good luck.

Has anyone ridden on both of these and have an opinion as to which they liked better? I commute in the rain, so wet weather performance is also a consideration...as well as the occasional trackday.

Thanks.

flyingducman
05-16-2006, 07:54 PM

Thanks.I had Michelin Pilot Powers on my 749. I rairly ride in the rain, but got stuck in a real down-pour over this last Winter. I was flying home in the carpool lane most of the way. When I got home and garaged it I noticed something odd with the rear tire. There was a strip of garage floor dust/dirt all the way around. I touched the tire and couldn't belive it! The tire had never been stickier except after a session on one of the track-days I did. It never got that sticky on a hot Summer day just street-riding. Must have been something with the silica in the P.P.?

Moral of the story...I believe the Pilot Powers are great wet-weather tires.

And Metzler just released the replacement for the M-1, it's now the M-3, has received great reviews, and I believe is available for purchase.

Jeremy
05-16-2006, 08:18 PM
And Metzler just released the replacement for the M-1, it's now the M-3, has received great reviews, and I believe is available for purchase.

Thanks for the story...good to hear they are good in the wet. I briefly considered the M-3...then I saw the price! :scared10:

You're right Ian...its not like I'm going to outride the tire...I figured wet weather would be my main criteria. Maybe in a couple years I'll have to consider my riding ability ;) ...or maybe not! :p

kamran
05-16-2006, 10:00 PM
the Michelin guy who approached us at the track recommended 35 front and 36 rear .
Ian: It's the reverse. Rick (the Michelin man) suggests 35 rear and 36 front.
He also indicated they use the PP's as rain tires for their novice racers. The lean angle has been measured at 43 degrees for PP in the wet...;)

zcspec
05-16-2006, 10:31 PM
The Metzeler M1's have been around for a long time now. I'd ridden on many sets, both on the track and rain. Overall, they are a very nice tire with good tread life that has been proven over the years. Last year, I started running on the Power Pilots and have nothing but good things to say about them. I personally have not rain them as often in the rain as I did the M1s. However, I see many riders on PP who never complain about their handling in wet weather. If you're ever at an event, ask Dave, the Michelin guy and he'll give you his honest opinion. Personally, I dont think you can go wrong with either.

ducmons
05-16-2006, 11:05 PM
i have PP on the 998, and though I've never riden it at the track on rain, I have ridden it on the street with rain numerous times. Of course, I'm not doing anything silly, but they do seem to have good grip. +1 for PP

martino
05-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Very well may be - my brain was steaming at PRI. Thanks for correcting Kamran.

Ian: It's the reverse. Rick (the Michelin man) suggests 35 rear and 36 front.
He also indicated they use the PP's as rain tires for their novice racers. The lean angle has been measured at 43 degrees for PP in the wet...;)

Gman
05-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Maybe it was the Pirelli guy saying "Go till they blow the bead and then back off 2Lbs".... then come talk to me :evilgrin3

osofast
05-17-2006, 06:51 AM
I've gone thru 2 sets of each on the 748. The Pilots last longer and heat up quickly where as the M-1s offer better grip in the rain and hold onto the heat longer. Both offer about the same grip on dry pavement however the M-1s, I felt are more predictable and offer more feedback than the Pilots.