PDA

View Full Version : Bike Polish - do you use one and what?

Holeshot
07-18-2004, 11:31 AM
I found this product sold by a company hailing from the far-east (I won't mention it here) that has kept previous bikes and the current one in very nice and shiney condition. However.. I have now used up the last two cans and wondering if I should skulk into said *other* dealership and buy some more

-- OR --

look into what others might be using? After you have washed your sled, what do you put on the tank and plastic? I've been using this for years but is there something more cost effective (ie.. not marked up because it has the name '*onda' on the front of it) or simply more effective? I've also used this on my helmet visors for years with excellent results so if whatever you use works there as well, all the better.

Anyone? Anyone?

- David

lll0228
07-18-2004, 11:39 AM
The S100 line makes similar stuff that works ok as well. My bike being a Dark I just put car wax on the tank for some protection. :)

DJS
07-18-2004, 11:39 AM
I have used Plexus for a long time on my 748S and R6 almost exclusively and it has kept the finish on both bikes in excellent condition. It is very easy to wipe off and unlike other polishes it takes far less effort to shine up.

Zach
07-18-2004, 03:24 PM
I just use good quality car wash soap & wax when it needs it. Had some good scratches & stains in the tank recently, found some Blue Coral polishing compound in my garage, took out most of the offenders. Followed up with some Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow #26 wax. On the black plastic I use Vinylex by Lexol. Works wonderfully. Haven't ever touched my windscreen, but I guess Plexus would do just fine as it does on my visor.

Zach

DRS
07-20-2004, 01:53 PM
s-100 on everything to get the gunk off.
protect-all to shine up the plastics and tank, (i think this is what duc-sea uses on the showroom bikes).
wd-40 on the carbon fiber.

Squidley
07-20-2004, 04:27 PM
The detailing diva uses Mother's pre wax cleaner followed by Mcguires Hi tech Yellow wax MMM Shiney! MMMM, Mothers, Mcguires and some Eagle One keep your custom paint glowing and lasting for years.

Holeshot
07-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks!

I just snagged some Pre-Wax cleaner, car wash (I'm out of the stuff to watch my cages) but they did not have the Hi Tech colored wax so I guess I'm stuck with my McGuires #7 until I can try the stuff out. Of course finding Plexus around here is like finding hen's teeth... maybe I'll try to order some online somewhere..

Torben
07-21-2004, 03:06 PM
I like Griot's garage speed shine. Works like a hot damn.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11148
I got the 8 oz size btw, not the 1 gallon.

Half-faired
07-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Related issue -
I'm having a tough time getting chain wax splatters off my rear rim.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
John

Holeshot
07-21-2004, 06:06 PM
I hesitate to incure the wrath of the list but WD-40 works wonders on the wheels to get the gunk off when all else fails.

I've heard that those citrus cleaners tend to etch as much as clean so I stay away from them when cleaning the bike. WD-40 has many great uses.. and many websites that document such.

Torben
07-21-2004, 07:00 PM
WD-40 :eek: Don't make me come over there . . . :D
Automotive grade simple green works, or good old pine sol.

darkduc
07-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Simple Green on the wheels and engine casings when they get stuff on 'em that I can't get off with car wash soap.

WD-40 for taking off the sticky stuff from dumb reflectors that were torn off the front fender (Good call Torben.. :))

McGuires AL polish for getting rid of the soot on my mufflers.

McGuires clear plastic polish on my visor, helmet, windscreen, tail lights and blinkers. :D

I haven't waxed her yet so I'll have to try someone's suggestion on that...

Apostate
07-22-2004, 06:32 AM
Related issue -
I'm having a tough time getting chain wax splatters off my rear rim.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
John
I use a product made by Castrol. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it comes in a purple spray bottle and is made for cleaning wheels. Works great! Just spray it on, wait a couple seconds, wipe with a damp sponge and hose off. Gets off road grime, baked on brake dust, grease, chain wax, etc.