PDA

View Full Version : Mugello 250cc race - great!!!

martino
06-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Another fantastic 250 race; just watched it on-line. You can still see\record it on TV - tomorrow at 9 AM.

yarjammer
06-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Caught it this morning. Great race there at the end. What happened to Sete? He was right there w/ Loris in second and then dropped out of the running. Found it funny that Loris and Nicky made sure to thank their sponsors and team while Rossi spoke primarily about himself on the podium... must be spending too much time hanging out w/ Schumacher and his soon to be Ferrari teammates.

bob wells
06-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Found it interesting that Rossi mentioned bridgestone and MICHElLIN BEING EQUAL IN THE SAME SENTENCTE!

Aloha
Bob

Mitch
06-07-2006, 10:14 PM
I found it kind of refreshing that Rossi was honestly talking about what happened in the race and the tires being roughly equal, instead of just plugging his own
sponsor(s) and team the whole time like everyone does constantly.

kamran
06-07-2006, 10:47 PM
From what I've heard (Italian racers on international web sites), one reason Rossi would not sign with teams such as Ducati was because teams like Honda and Ducati are about the bike/sponsers and not the individual that rides the bike. He wanted a bike that would not be the focus of his racing...he's belief is the talent of the rider and not the politics of the factories...
You won't see Rossi kissing up like most do, although theatrically he puts on the show but not just in words (e.g. kneeling and kissing his Yami)...

Mitch
06-08-2006, 12:55 AM
he's belief is the talent of the rider and not the politics of the factories...
You won't see Rossi kissing up like most do, although theatrically he puts on the show but not just in words (e.g. kneeling and kissing his Yami)...

Yes, that lad has a wee bit of talent :D (if anyone has proved that it's the rider not the bike, it would be him) And, he usually puts on a great show as well. He definitely has that "it" factor that the greats in any field have.

yarjammer
06-08-2006, 03:56 PM
I am certainly not denying Rossi's talent, however his greatness amd prowess on a motorcycle would be evident regardless of the manufacturer's promotional requirements. It is all about character for me when it comes to greatness. Rossi posesses a great deal of character- the self indulgent kind. As much as racing is a sport, it is also a huge business. Rossi wouldn't be making his extraordinary salary if it wasn't. IMHO he should save his self gratification for off podium interviews. His amazing skills irregardless of manufacturer are just that w/o a ride; last I checked he is a factory sponsored rider which means someone loaned him the bike and gave him tires he used to win. If they aren't contributers to victory, then let us see him compete and win on Kenda or Cheng Shin tires and some less refined Chinese motorcycle.

Bong
06-08-2006, 04:12 PM
I am certainly not denying Rossi's talent, however his greatness amd prowess on a motorcycle would be evident regardless of the manufacturer's promotional requirements. It is all about character for me when it comes to greatness. Rossi posesses a great deal of character- the self indulgent kind. As much as racing is a sport, it is also a huge business. Rossi wouldn't be making his extraordinary salary if it wasn't. IMHO he should save his self gratification for off podium interviews. His amazing skills irregardless of manufacturer are just that w/o a ride; last I checked he is a factory sponsored rider which means someone loaned him the bike and gave him tires he used to win. If they aren't contributers to victory, then let us see him compete and win on Kenda or Cheng Shin tires and some less refined Chinese motorcycle.

Wow, I don't see where the animosity towards Rossi is coming from. He has always gracious in his interviews be it on the podium or not. One can only think of Mladin to see how easy it is to "like" talents like Rossi. I don't think he comes off as arrogant.

yarjammer
06-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Sometimes I get a little emotional... I guess I kind'a took out my agression on him for the growing number of highly skilled and ingrateful athletes in all sports.

Torben
06-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I think every athlete of this caliber is arrogant, cocky or whatever to a certain extent. You certainly can't achieve greatness without being a good self-promoter with an ego. I don't think it's a slam by any stretch - I see it more as a statement of fact in a certain respect. I think part of the issue too is that English is his second language and that can being the case can lead to some intersting verablizations that aren't necessarily meant to be the way it comes across.
Mladin is a whole other story and he has no place in being cocky this year:evilgrin3

Bong
06-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Sometimes I get a little emotional... I guess I kind'a took out my agression on him for the growing number of highly skilled and ingrateful athletes in all sports.

I'm with you on this, that's why I have not been following football/baseball/basketball as much lately. Bunch of overpaid babies! It's aggravating knowing they make more during one game than most people make several years working!

yarjammer
06-08-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm with you on this, that's why I have not been following football/baseball/basketball as much lately. Bunch of overpaid babies! It's aggravating knowing they make more during one game than most people make several years working!

Are you my long lost twin? Many athletes in "global" sports such as Soccer & Rugby still hold secondary jobs to pay the bills. American sports like football, baseball, and basketball on the professional level disgust me. Collegiate level is quickly sliding down the slippery slope too now that Nike, Addidas, etc... allowed to sponsor school athletic programs and students abandon universities to go pro.

As for highly talented grateful athletes with great character:

Lance Armstrong
George Brett
Micheal Jordan
Jerry Rice
George Foreman
Mario Andretti (although he had his moments)
Emerson Fittipaldi
and many more (curious how most of these greats are now retired?)

martino
06-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Yo,
this is a 250cc thread and I have not seen anyone from 250 mentioned here :happy57:. Not, since the very beginning on it ;). Anyone watched that race?

Are you my long lost twin? Many athletes in "global" sports such as Soccer & Rugby still hold secondary jobs to pay the bills. American sports like football, baseball, and basketball on the professional level disgust me. Collegiate level is quickly sliding down the slippery slope too now that Nike, Addidas, etc... allowed to sponsor school athletic programs and students abandon universities to go pro.

As for highly talented grateful athletes with great character:

Lance Armstrong
George Brett
Micheal Jordan
Jerry Rice
George Foreman
Mario Andretti (although he had his moments)
Emerson Fittipaldi
and many more (curious how most of these greats are now retired?)

yarjammer
06-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Sorry Ian... guess my ignorance shines through. Was that race not the 250cc Race? At least M. Jordan sponsors a racing team...

martino
06-08-2006, 10:11 PM
I was just screwing around with you guys. Go on. Continue the fine discussion (I am serious here)

Sorry Ian... guess my ignorance shines through. Was that race not the 250cc Race? At least M. Jordan sponsors a racing team...

Mitch
06-09-2006, 01:48 AM
Yo, this is a 250cc thread and I have not seen anyone from 250 mentioned here . Not, since the very beginning on it . Anyone watched that race?

That's funny :happy57: , I hadn't even noticed that. I would have watched it, but it wasn't on till Monday or Tuesday and I'm still in the dark ages with my VCR :( .

Don't get too nostalgic for the athletes of days gone by. I like Jordan too, but he is about as cocky as you can get and has an ego the size of the titanic (that push off on Russell for the winning basket in his last championship game is the worst no call I've ever seen). Ever read Ball Four by Jim Bowden? A lot of those golden era Yankees spent their time off the field as drunk peeping toms :eek: .

But, you're right, they're all ridiculously overpaid now (and subsidized with our tax dollars). I can't believe that people pay NBA prices for season tickets (the NHL is supposedly even worse).

Of course, I suppose a lot of people (some have told me personally) think it's ridiculous to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on an exhaust for your motorcycle :happy44: .

Ciao

yarjammer
06-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Yes, Jordan was/is cocky and probably would not be as famous if the ref's would have enforced the rules (travelling, for example) but he did recognize the value of his team's efforts and took time for his fans.
As far as Baseball drunks go- I'm surprised they weren't tanked on the ballfield... that game is sooooo slow. Might as well be cricket.

Mitch
06-09-2006, 02:15 AM
Yes, Jordan was/is cocky and probably would not be as famous if the ref's would have enforced the rules (travelling, for example) but he did recognize the value of his team's efforts and took time for his fans.

That's true

As far as Baseball drunks go- I'm surprised they weren't tanked on the ballfield... that game is sooooo slow. Might as well be cricket.

About the only thing slower than cricket is watching paint dry. Oh, wait, never mind, that takes less than a few days :happy57: .

Actually, you reminded me of an interview I saw with Mickey Mantle. He said he had been out drinking so much the night before :happy23: , he was still loaded for the next day's afternoon game. He was on the bench the whole game (must have been early in his career) and then they called for him to pinch hit in the bottom of the ninth, two runners on and down by two runs. He said the first pitch came at him for a strike, the only problem was he saw three baseballs! :happy44:

He said he decided to aim for the middle one and hit the very next pitch out of the park for a game winning home run :happy57: . He said the crowd was way too loud and he was glad he hit a home run so he didn't have to run very fast. Then he went back to the locker room and took a nap. :indiffere

Mitch
06-09-2006, 01:10 PM
At least this is about the 1000 cc race at Mugello (I didn't feel it was worthy of a new thread).

I suppose this is why they are professional racers (I wondered why Gibernau fell back) -

from crash.net (http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Gibernau-confirms--boot-problem--~cid~6~id~131517.htm)

MOTOGP News Sunday, 4th June 2006

Gibernau confirms 'boot problem'.

Pole sitter Sete Gibernau was Valentino Rossi's biggest threat during much of Sunday's Italian Grand Prix - the Spaniard leading on several occasions before suddenly dropping from a close second to sixth with seven laps to go...

Gibernau then began to build his speed once again - and gained a position when Marco Melandri ran wide - before closing down fourth placed Dani Pedrosa over the remaining laps. The Spaniard eventually finished fifth, one-second behind the Repsol Honda rider and three-seconds from race winner Rossi.

After the race, it was confirmed that Gibernau had suffered the unusual problem of a damaged toe slider on his right boot - which meant that when his foot touched the asphalt during cornering a hole was worn :eek: , leaving the Spaniard with a bleeding little toe and forcing him to change his riding position.

Nevertheless, former Honda rider Gibernau - who set the second fastest lap of the race, just 0.060secs slower than team-mate Loris Capirossi - was simply pleased to have been battling for victory once again.

"We had a few moments out there but we had good fun and I enjoyed it a lot, it's been a while since I've been riding to win a race," smiled Gibernau. "I led a few laps, it was nice to be up there again and we fought good, so it was perfect. The team did a great job and Bridgestone did a great job too, they gave me a real good bike and tyres, so all credit to the guys, though the bike was a little wobbly on the main straight!

"When I had the problem with my boot it was difficult to adapt, it took two laps or so to adjust, then I came back. It was just a pity what happened with my boot, but that's racing. I'm starting to enjoy riding again and I'm beginning to really understand how to get the best out of the Ducati," he added.

"Sete showed once again that he's a great rider, without that boot problem he would also have fought for the win," insisted Ducati CEO and president Federico Minoli.

The Catalan Grand Prix, the most important of Gibernau's home events, will take place on June 18.

yarjammer
06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
"We had a few moments out there but we had good fun and I enjoyed it a lot, it's been a while since I've been riding to win a race," smiled Gibernau. "I led a few laps, it was nice to be up there again and we fought good, so it was perfect. The team did a great job and Bridgestone did a great job too, they gave me a real good bike and tyres, so all credit to the guys, though the bike was a little wobbly on the main straight!

"When I had the problem with my boot it was difficult to adapt, it took two laps or so to adjust, then I came back. It was just a pity what happened with my boot, but that's racing. I'm starting to enjoy riding again and I'm beginning to really understand how to get the best out of the Ducati," he added.

That is the gratitude of a true sportsman. This is what I have been ranting about...

kamran
06-09-2006, 05:21 PM
That is the gratitude of a true sportsman. This is what I have been ranting about...
... hard to be arrogant when you have been nothing but an embarrasment for the last two years!!! Otherwise the same thing that happened to Maxi baby will happen to him....(got kicked off GP and nobody in the GP wants him now).

Racing is half mental, half "others"...If you don't think/believe you are better than the others, you have already accpeted to loose the race.

The mental superiority is the drive most competitors don't have, that's why they settle for what they get. The first battle to win before you ever win any races, is the mental one...

That's why Rossi comes back with an inferior bike at the start of the season and still doesn't give up. He comes back with a vengence to dominate by dropping everyone from the start of the race... not just toying with them... but totally stumping on them. That's the mental domination he needs to establish to win over every body elses mental state. The main thing I respect about him is that he does it with a very boyish innocent smile!

Sorry but that's the nature of being competitive. You have to have in you to know what I'm talking about...otherwise it comes across as only pure arrogance.

yarjammer
06-09-2006, 06:28 PM
The drive and competitiveness to succeed and dominate in any given sport does not have to conflict with good character. A true champion is capable of leaving it on the track. I understand the mental state necessary to compete and win, but a true champion can turn it on and off. If the competitiveness switch is stuck "on" then true reason you're "on fire" is because of all the bridges burning in your wake. Ever notice how the mediocre racers are have long lived careers? Sure they don't dominate the track, but they manage to finish near the top and win every now and again. They are the true competitors; they pay respect to their fans, their sponsors, and their rivals.

Having said that, I must say that ignorance is bliss when it comes to blind competitiveness. Rossi's making ~$24.5M/yr and I make .2% of that... guess I need to be more of a self promoting asshole.

kamran
06-09-2006, 06:56 PM
...can we actually have an example of when he was actually an asshole???:rolleyes:

I understand there are a couple of thousands people that don't like him, but for every thousand that don't like him, there are at least a million that do like him. My friend I'd say you are out numbered by a few! Now, may be we should think about that hmmmm...? Or is the majority wrong, and the minority right...:confused:

As with those people, may be something personal that rubs them wrong, who knows??? I know I personally have an experience or two with that!!!;)

As for the sponsers, they'd "kill" to sign him up...He has made most of his sponsors instant success... I think they arrrrre happy, no need for you to worry about their well being!

Why is how much money he is making an issue? Why not pick on hundreds of tabaco chewing, over the hill, fat slobs, in tight pants with their bellies hanging out, standing around scratching their balls who make millions and are disrespectful to their fans and do nothing but whine about how little they make, here in our back yard???

I for one (or millions for that matter) have never seen a dark side him, only the pleasant side...but I'm not going to try to convience you to like him. Neither Rossi nor I really have the urge to change you...

yarjammer
06-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Kamran, I wasn't trying to take a jab at you.

As far as Rossi being an asshole... The asshole comment was more of a generalization about subscribers to blind competitiveness.

Righteousness is, and always will be, in the eye of the beholder. As for my minority viewpoint, I'm used to it. I am a Republican living in Seattle. I am in the military in an anti-military media driven nation... Everyone has a right to their own opinion and I respect that. I guess I may have used a little too much bandwidth proclaiming mine.

I'm a tobacco chewer who takes pride in scratching my balls... As for the overpaid Football, Baseball, and Basketball players I have much more scathing comments reserved for most of them; I despise most entertainers for that matter.

The money thing... I'm just jealous that he gets paid a fortune to do something I/we enjoy while I bust my ass and make nothing in comparison for a job nobody cares about.

Please allow me to indulge myself in apparently uninformed, immature, or otherwise hippocritical thoughts, I am trying to become a true Seattlite.

What the hell happened here? I can't believe I've done this to this thread. I've committed threadicide. And now for your regurlarly scheduled thread...

jkester92
06-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Put me down for number one ROSSI fan also, I can't think of anyone that can pass as cleanly as he does even when the heat is really on, he can be aggressive but you know, I think he is smiling under that viser.. You gotta love Nicky too but ROSSI is the Mohomid Ali of bike racing. Shit there all gods

kamran
06-09-2006, 10:03 PM
jkester92: As the MotoGP doctor said, when they monitored Max's maximum heart rate during a race versus Rossi's; ...Max's Maximum Heart rate was 170, while Rossi's maximum heart rate was 125...that equates to smiling big time under his visor...:D